Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Short straight blonde hair... my "locking" journey ;-)

HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

Hello all! I love this site and am so glad I found it (or that it found me). When I first started doing serious research and learning about dreads, I was led right to the "manufactured" wax induced dreadlocks that you buy, right up to the point of receiving my very own dreadlocking kit in the mail (oh my!)... but to my disappointment of what I had just unnecessarily wasted money on, I had discovered this site and was instantly turned off by the thought of using chemicals and fancy products to produce a look that wasn't "natural" in any sense of the word.

So as soon as I received my "Insta-dread" kit, I drove right to the post office and sent it back and was able to start my dreading experience with a clean conscience and clean hair!

Officially, my Organic Freedom dreads began on August 25, 2011. That was the day I discharged from the military (woohoo!) and that evening was when I went comb free. So from now on, I will try to keep an update of photos to share my progress with others... and hopefully some cool mountain hot springs along the way too ;)

Below are my starting pics... first I had long straight hair, then cut short, then let it grow out a bit.

updated by @hippyfish: 02/14/15 05:20:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

congrats on starting your jpurney :)

and the hot springs will thank you for not melting wax in them :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

So here is the journey thusfar:

This is 1 Week.

This is about 10 days.

These are after 15 days!

Will try to continue posting photo updates about every 15 days... this is one of the coolest things I have done for myself, even though this is just the beginning I will never go back to my old society/matrix conformity of haircare!

updated by @hippyfish: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

nice progress for 2 weeks with it being so straight and everything ..nice

--
HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

Thanks SE, I thought so too, I'm really thankful how well my progress is going, especially since now I am using BS rinses every other day with sea salt and tea tree and lavender oils. I will only be doing Dr. Bronner's 1-2x per month... but the BS has helped a lot! Thanks.

soaring eagle said:

nice progress for 2 weeks with it being so straight and everything ..nice

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

I love the name 'organic freedom' dreads. Did you read it somewhere or did it come to you? I never liked the word 'neglect' as it implies we forgot or couldn't be bothered combing our hair - when in fact by not combing we are doing something very intentional and positive. I use the word 'natural' myself, but I think Organic Freedom is much better. This is probably more a forum subject but I'm not sure how to set one up.

HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

Im not sure how to set one up either, but i guess i sort of combined two different terms i have heard freads referred to in the past... organic because i use no chemicals only natural things in my hair & freedom because not only do they represent my freedom from the military but also how they have the freedom to grow, twist, knot and take shape any which way they choose.... that it why i call them my Organic Freedom dreads :-)

hippiegal said:

I love the name 'organic freedom' dreads. Did you read it somewhere or did it come to you? I never liked the word 'neglect' as it implies we forgot or couldn't be bothered combing our hair - when in fact by not combing we are doing something very intentional and positive. I use the word 'natural' myself, but I think Organic Freedom is much better. This is probably more a forum subject but I'm not sure how to set one up.

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

awesome! i can't wait to watch you progress on your journey! i love looking through people's timelines...=]

HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

Week 3!!

updated by @hippyfish: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

excelent progress for just 3 weeks

but gotta warn u that huge bead can cause mold when dreaded tighter i had 1 exactly like that and it definately didnt stay long

glad i took it out

--
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form