dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello there+ Questions!

Niko
@niko
13 years ago
9 posts

Hi, I'm Niko :)

I've spent all week looking through this site and learning about dreads and everyone's experiences. VERY helpful, thanks! But I have a few questions that I can't really find any specific answers to....

-When washing my hair, it's being said here to soak it (with baking soda, oils, etc). Does this mean I shouldn't put my head under the shower and instead use a bucket or something? What about working through my hair with my fingers, as is always done? Can I finger-comb it a bit, since I can't use a brush afterwards?

-Will swimming (in a chlorinated pool) negatively affect the natural transformation of my hair? My hair gets EXTREMELY knotted and unmanageable after swimming- I don't know how I could NOT brush it somehow...

-I have very thin, very curly-unruly hair. Will having thin, fragile hair (and not a lot of it, at that) make weak dreads or ones that don't hold easily?

I am so excited to finally be starting this exciting experience, thanks!

Niko

updated by @niko: 01/13/15 09:09:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well i'll try to answer

1. u can wash with a dread soap by scrubbing only the scalp not runing fingers through it or u can use the baking soda and not touch it at all the bs will do the scrubing for you if u run fingers thriough yor hair u comb out progress
  2. the goal is to be very knotted and unmanagable thats how it dreads but if it dreads super fast which i guess it will u will want to seperate em after every swim find dread babies ..hair clumping together and seperate by pulling 1 away from another dont do i till theyre begining to dread or the eections foprm really big but once u got dread babies tr7y to prevent them from combining into huge dreads
  3. no they will be fine it has very lil effect on how they form or how srong they aere oce dreaded

having said that tho let me add that they will look weak thin and scraggly as they begin to form

they will then shrink alot and thicken up and look stri]onger and more substantial

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Niko
@niko
13 years ago
9 posts

Excellent! For the pool, I am concerned because my head looks and feels like a bird's nest after swimming- it is rather unpleasant and impossible to manage (like a great wet ball of knotted yarn, haha). But I'll be more careful about this and be sure to sort through the little dreads and whatnot.

Thank you SE! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

go swim now and come back and post a picvcture wirhout touching it after and lets seee but a birds nest is a good start to great dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Niko
@niko
13 years ago
9 posts

haha Okay I will, next time I go swimming!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form