Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread n00b

Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Hey, guys. I'm Steven Wind and I just started my dreads roughly a week ago. I'm caucasian and have hair that's mostly straight, though it has a little wave to it. I had my mom braid the back of my hair and after leaving them in for a week, I took them out so my hair would be nappy and easier to work with than how it would be otherwise. I had my friend help me section my hair and I started to backcomb it, but then I found this site and haven't really touched it since. Iwashed my hairtoday and I think most of what I'd done with backcombing came out, butfrom here on out, I'll be doing it natural.

It seems to be doing a decent job at sectioning itself (though slowly), but since I washed it, it's a lot frizzier and I think it'll start the process of dreading pretty soon.

Let me know what you guys think! I've read a lot of posts, particularly from the Timeline threads, but I'm excited for my journey through patience, self-acceptance, and, well, eventual natural beauty.

updated by @steven-wind: 02/14/15 02:05:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome and ya u can already see where the dreadies will be born

slowly?

its only been a week

yopr right on schedule actualy lil early

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Well, that's good to know.

I guess not slowly, but it feels that way since it's still just unknotted hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

again..still? 7 days?

very seldom do u see visible knotting in days ..it can happen weeks is more comon..

forget the word still for awhile and be suprized by any changes already..

you'll see good bit more in week 2 i bet you

--
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

So, I made a mix of somewhere between 2-3 tablespoons of seasalt & mixed that with warm water in a spray bottle. Applied it to my hair today. My hair feels very interesting, but I love it.

I'm not sure what day I'm on exactly, but I think it's been 8 days or so since I've brushed my hair, and I can't stop being excited. I can't wait for the natural progression of locks.

I'm wondering if, if I don't do anything to it, aside from spraying the sea salt mix -- without TnR, without backcombing, and just separating my hair with my fingers so it doesn't become one huge congo -- is that a good way to go about it? Because I feel like a lot of people on this forum did TnR, a few have done backcombing, but I just really don't want to. If I go totally natural, and let my hair form it's own sections (well, I'll separate them if they get too big) is that a smart idea?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

close to 1/2 of us went natural myself included and it is the modst recomended way

just dont over seperate early on or u will be pulling apart would be dreads let em start to dread then make siure the dreads staty seperated

make sure your not getting a buig ol matted mess at the roots tho

--
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Do you think it would be a decent idea to not even touch my hair other than to hide it under a tam when at work?

That's what I've been thinking of doing.

And I guess the answer to this upcoming question varies depending on the person's hair, but what would be a good time range to start separating? A month?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea thats a good idea and well it can vary based on hair some ppl have to early others can be 6 months in b4 they do it really depends alot

whenever u pull 1 up and another comes up too

but really as soon as they are forming well u can as long as your not seperating sectiins that might ant to be a dread b4 its really dreaded

if any sections form too big ho seperate em

--
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

What was your experience like, when you were first starting out? Is there another thread where you share? Could you send me the link, maybe?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

theres a few places i think i went into it in my blog but also theres a other discussion or 2

but ok here goes

went to a rainbow gathering camping in the wilderness

traded fopr some beads

stuck em in my hair

they dreaded fast

had some ppl gime hair wraps

they dreaded fast

the unbeaded or wrapped parts that were longer dreaded fast were dreading by time i left there ..2 weeks

the shorter parts maybe a month or 2 later dreade d right up

i kinda think being at the gathering in a real spiritual place (it was 1 of the highest energywise gatherings ever) helped em dread fast

but then again i think my 1st set dreaded fast too

honnestly with both times dreading the time between no dreads and drads was so quick i cant remember it at all

i know it didnt dread overnight so i guess it was a couple weeks

there was a month or 2 tho between when the back (lnger) dreaded and the top did

i do remember several weeks to 2 months with only dreads in the back

but once it was ready to dread it just dreaded fast enough to not remember a transition period

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form