Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello! New to this website and dreading! (Advice, please? =])

Earth Mama2
@earth-mama2
13 years ago
2 posts

Hello!

I have always absolutely loved dreads ever since I was a little girl...recently, one of my very dear friends (who has dreads of her own) did me the honor of starting four little dreads for me. Two at the base of my neck and two up top. I love them! I want more! Since my hair is pretty curly and has a strong tendency to knot up quickly anyway, I am shooting for the natural dreading method. I've never really brushed my hair much anyway and now I just don't. Period. I've also started using the baking soda wash and Dr. Bronners (alternating).

Here is my question, is it okay to help them along by using the same method my friend used?

She took the lock and held the tip firmly in one hand and then used her forefinger and thumb to kinda scrub up and down the lock. Once it was super, duper frizzy, she pinch rolled.

Is this similar/as damaging as the backcombing method? I fell like it might help encourage my dreads to start forming but I don't want to regret it later.

Also, she wrapped two of them with hemp in certain parts...will I regret this too? I like how it looks but I've heard it can prevent dreading and make them thinner.

Thanks so much! Sorry to be long winded. =D

updated by @earth-mama2: 01/13/15 09:07:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

finger teasings fine u shouldnt need to but its not too bad i dunno what u mean by pinch roll though

finger teasing tho i dont think will do much harm unlesits real agressive the harm in backcombings the teeth rubbing against the grain prying open the cuticles and damaging them

i dont think fingers could do the same type damage

though im not 100% sure just logicly doesnt seem the same at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the wraps fine but will make that section thinner

and

welcome :)

--