Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Sunshine Pixie
@sunshine-pixie
13 years ago
9 posts

Hi, I'm new to here. I've wanted dreads....as long as I've known they existed. And finally I decided...hey I CAN have dreads.

As much as I want to naturally dread, I sadly don't have a hair type that will. What most would consider a blessing, I've considered a curse.

I've been shampoo free for a year (Baking Soda/ACV or Dr. Bronners I like to switch them up). And I've been comb free for months, but I've never been big on combing my hair.

Which leads me to know that it'd be years before I made progress via the natural method.

So I have started the underside of my hair via tnr. So far I love it. I'm leaving the roots and tips alone. I'm just trying to speed up the process. Eventually I will have my whole head dreaded via tnr. I'm just using my natural sections of hair too, so hopefully it looks more natural.

Then I will let it do its own thing from there.

My only question, for now, is does anyone have experience with henna and dreads? Due to my extra soft texture, henna ultra conditions my hair. Will it destroy my dreads? You see...I'm only 23. But I have grey hair already. I'm sure no one notices by me, and most of the time I think it adds character, but sometimes I freak out. So I may reach a point where I want to henna over my hair to cover them up.

Thanks!

updated by @sunshine-pixie: 02/14/15 11:20:28AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ignore them theyre even less noticible in dreads as the 1 hair only touches the surface here ad there so u dont ereally notice a grey hair but yea henna will condition them but when theyre mature its safe enough to use

but dreads will help u embrace your natural self

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sunshine Pixie
@sunshine-pixie
13 years ago
9 posts

I'm hoping to embrace the grey. And it is a really pretty silver. :) I will probably just avoid henna then, because I know its going to take a long time for them to mature.

Thanks!

soaring eagle said:

ignore them theyre even less noticible in dreads as the 1 hair only touches the surface here ad there so u dont ereally notice a grey hair but yea henna will condition them but when theyre mature its safe enough to use

but dreads will help u embrace your natural self

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

lets seee pictures ;)

--
Sunshine Pixie
@sunshine-pixie
13 years ago
9 posts

I will when I'm completely done. Hopefully in a few days. I have a lot of hair... not too long (shoulder length), just super, super thick. I'm going to look like a lion when I'm done!!

soaring eagle said:

lets seee pictures ;)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

surprised it didnt dread on its own have u triesd sea salt or sleeping on wool

--
Sunshine Pixie
@sunshine-pixie
13 years ago
9 posts

My pillow case is a jersey knit, and it'll rough it up some. But I've been using sea salt sprays for years to make it wavy (it was sooo straight). I've actually got it wavy now, after years of not combing and using sea salt.

My mom claims its the Native American roots that make my hair so straight and thick...and uncooperative. But it doesn't make sense to me, I imagine they have dreads too.

soaring eagle said:

babylon
@babylon
13 years ago
27 posts

welcome to the club, and i'm 26. i've got a lot thin grey at the back but i don't see them so it does'nt bother me :P the few big ones in the front i pick out...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

we have a nartive american dreadies group on here we have many native americans with dreads rezrasta umm warriorprincess (i think thats the right name) she has pics in her photo albums of cheifs wu=ith well let me not be so damn lazy 1 sec

Find more photos like this on dreadlocks forums

look through that entire al=bum

also neil cole is na going natural we have dozens more who are na mixed

Sunshine Pixie said:

My pillow case is a jersey knit, and it'll rough it up some. But I've been using sea salt sprays for years to make it wavy (it was sooo straight). I've actually got it wavy now, after years of not combing and using sea salt.

My mom claims its the Native American roots that make my hair so straight and thick...and uncooperative. But it doesn't make sense to me, I imagine they have dreads too.

soaring eagle said:

--
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Hi Sunshine'] Welcome! Sure, it looks like you gave it a great try at natural, I say go for the tnr'] I did lefave the top of my head tnr when I went natural and they are locked up nicely in 4+ months, not dreads yet, but almost there']. The underneath is separating and forming dreads now (4 months), it's soooo cool to watch them appear & form. I know several discussions on Henna and dye on the forums, just search it and you'll find lotsa info...God Bless your journey!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form