dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

middle-aged newbie dreadhead

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading compulsively ever since I found this site. I'm so glad I did because I was actually looking for a salon to put dreads in for me! So... I am a 52 year old white woman which seems to be quite the minority here. Most of you look very young. But that's ok. I've wanted dreads for as long as I can remember. However, I always worked in conservative jobs where they would not have been accepted. Now I don't work anymore and I don't have to please anyone but myself! I'm sure people in my family will be horrified once they see me though.

Today is day 3 for going natural. I never realized how naturally curly my hair is. I guess that's because I always brushed the curl out of it and always used tons of products on it. I'm excited and scared about the process. I think the curliness is going to really help the process. My hair is super thick and coarse so I think it will take to dreading pretty well.

The one thing I don't get is how do you go out in public during the really messy hair phase? I live in Florida and it is so godawful hot right now, I can't imagine wearing any kind of hat other than a baseball cap for a short period of time. Would that be ok?

Looking forward to getting to know some of you. Thanks so much SE for this website!

Any others like me out there????

updated by @butterfly: 09/30/21 09:09:39AM
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
Pony tails and buns are great simple styles for the summer. :)
princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
13 years ago
56 posts
Happy to hear it! I agree, just put it up or behind your head. Be sure to leave them down when you get home. They can turn into one giant dread! My old friend kept hers up all the time and she had a huge unilock lol:)
Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts
Hi and thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately, my hair isn't long enough for buns or ponytails. :( So I think I'm just going to have to deal with it while it grows out unless you have other suggestions. Plus it's still layered from old hairstyles. It's about 6 inches long at its longest so I've got a ways to go. This will be a test of my patience for sure.
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Me'] I'm Nancy and I start everything late-- married at 35, kids at 38 and 41, tats at 43, dreads at 50, lol. You don't have to wear a hat, just wash a few times a week, separate the sections if they start to "congo" or web together and spray with a sea salt water spray once or twice a day to help it dread. Soaring Eagle said a 3.5% saline water mix but since I suck at math I just put 1/2 a teaspoon to 20 oz. That's working great. You can put a wool sweater over your pillow to sleep, that's supposed to help, but I haven't done that as I am sensitive to wool. God bless your journey & have fun!! don't stress and just relax...xo

Read more: middle-aged newbie dreadhead - dreadlocks forums http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/middleaged-newbie-dreadhead?xg_source=activity#ixzz1Plwud6lC
the best place for real dreadlocks no lies no products to buy just truth about healthy dreads
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Thanks Exalt! I'm glad I'm not the only late bloomer! Funny you mentioned the tats too. Because I'm really wanting to get one, my first one of course. I just don't know how to go about finding a good place or a good artist. Nobody I know has tattoos, so I can't exactly "ask around", lol. But I have a thing for butterflies - the whole thing, their beauty, the symbolism of changing from something ugly and ordinary to something gorgeous that can fly. I've always loved them so naturally I want a butterfly tat. I know that's a common girly tat but I don't care. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hey GrittyJane, I love love love those scarves. I have a buff that I can wear that is kind of like those, but I think those will suit my hair better and only 10 bucks! I'm definitely going to order some. Thanks for the link and for the encouragment!

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Here's a link to a great tattoo directory, http://www.aaatattoodirectory.com/ Make sure you look them up on the web, see their work and speak with them in person. If you aren't comfy speaking with them, they aren't the artist for you. Make sure they have a health cert and prep everything right in front of you - new needles, ink in disposable cups, clean environment. Butterflies are beautiful'] Symbols of new life...
Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts
Oh wow, ExaltHim, thank you. I've just looked at that directory and found some really decent places close by! I may actually get up my courage to get a tattoo!!! Yikes! This is some mid-life crisis I'm going thru, lol!
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

LOL, I know!!! I bought a motorcycle and did the dreads for mine!! So glad to be a help to you'] Happy Day!

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

welcome, butterfly!

i'm in my 40's and i think this time in our lives is perfect for dreads. we aren't so worried about what others think of us anymore:) i say invest in some pretty scarves and headbands. it looks a bit more presentable to society whennecessaryand keeps the craziness out of your eyes. i've recently started pulling my hair back in a loose pony tail sometimes too. i normally only wear my hair up when i go out. make sure you give your hair equal time to hang freely. movement = knots.

/ 11

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form