Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey guys!

Groove Jam
@groove-jam
13 years ago
4 posts

Hi from Dublin Ireland! I'm a long time lurker of the site, and I recently got my dreads put in last week. My friend put them in using a crochet needle, the dreads themselves look pretty sweet! I'm just a little concerned about the volume. My hair is REALLY thin, they look pretty weedy and limp, and I only managed to get 20 so my head kind of looks like a spider :P

I'm only a week in, so I'm not too concerned that they'll look like this forever, but the volume thing is a major concern. I will never have more than 20, right? And will they always look like spider-y, with big gaps between the dreads themselves?

Cheers in advance guys! Great site :)

updated by @groove-jam: 01/13/15 09:02:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if you been lurkinghere why the hell would u let anyone use crochet on you? that was a terrible idea crovchet makes dreads 1/3 as thick aswe a healthy dread should be if they are alowed to recovedr they wuill be reallly thick

you should tell your "freind" they screwed u and negver should have used that damnhook on your head

now its going to take 6 long months to recover b4 they even begin to dread right

sorry

but if u been lurking you shoulda been reading more and u would have known not to crochet

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well with all the bronken hairs from crochet hed lose handfulls its kinda a toss up on whats best to do i mean the damage is done starting over will add to it but he will have way too skinny way too tight stiff scratchy dreads for a good long time while he conditions and tries to loosen them up enough to dread right

and then when they do they will be pretty thick too

its a decision hed have to make he certainly can go on from here and they will turn out fine tho probly thicker then hed expected

tho starting over would give him a better feeling towards hem for starting them right

i would still scold the freind so he never does that to anyone again i hope

--
Groove Jam
@groove-jam
13 years ago
4 posts

Cheers for the feedback. The line of work I'm in unfortunatley doesn't allow me to go the neglect / natural route, unfortunately, due to being perceived as "presentable". So i chose to use the method that would give me dreadlocks that resemble actual dreadlocks in the shortest amount of time.

Now that they are in, i'm free to either continue maintenance or go natural from here. I'm interested to know whether going natural after crocheting will allow them to grow stronger and less patchy? There's lots of great info on here, but it looks like everyone elses hair is a LOT thicker than mine. Again, I only have 20 dreads and they look kinda spidery. Will going natural fill up the gaps as it were?

Soaring Eagle, you say that if I let them recover they will grow thicker? Does this include the gaps between existing dreads? And during the recovery period what should I or should not be doing? Like wearing head bands and caps is ok, right?

Cheers again guys, it's much appreciated :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yes they will thicken and fill in the gaps but it will take time you should have done twist n rip it woulda worked way better

they will be thick..really thick

20 isnt alot

what to do nothing wash and seperate use jojoba to speed up recovery

do not ever crochet again

--
Groove Jam
@groove-jam
13 years ago
4 posts

Cool, sounds good. Thanks for the great advice.

will i ever have more than 20? Like I see people here with anywhere from 40 right up to 150?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well eventualy when they recover if u go nastural friom here on you will start seperating then the loose hairs caused by seperating wull start forming new dreads

lets see a picture

but really the guy who did yours ..was clueless

its gonna take a long time b4 u start seeing new dreads tho

--
Groove Jam
@groove-jam
13 years ago
4 posts
SE i sent you private message with a pic :)
Billie
@billie
13 years ago
3 posts

Hi SE,

As areformed crochet hooker....lol.....I am now in the process of letting my locs heal. Why do you recommend Jojoba Oil? Will it help take the scratchy-ness away?

soaring eagle said:

yes they will thicken and fill in the gaps but it will take time you should have done twist n rip it woulda worked way better

they will be thick..really thick

20 isnt alot

what to do nothing wash and seperate use jojoba to speed up recovery

do not ever crochet again

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form