Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Dreads

Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
I started my dreads last week by twisting my hair up in sections. I retwisted a couple of days later and have pretty much left them alone since then. I have to wear a hair net and a hat for work and the back of my head looks pretty rough I'm sure. Should I go back and do the twist and rip method or just leave them alone? I get pretty sweaty at work and throughout the day so I wash 3 times a week and I also have dry skin and scalp. I've been using the baking soda shampoo for about a month now but I think I have hard water because every time I get out of the shower (hot or cold water) I break out. Even when I use different soaps.
updated by @keith-lackey: 02/14/15 12:07:50PM
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
I usually just use baking soda by itself and once a week use the apple cider vinegar rinse after the baking soda is rinsed out. Right now I'm using dial but I use whatever is available. Sometimes soap from hotels or whatever is in the bathroom at the time. I have no real preference. What happens is when I get out I'll have little red bumps on my chest and stomach that usually go away in a few minutes and don't really itch too bad but still raise my curiosity.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try a pure natural soap like maylees (in our shops here) or bronners?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts
Dr. Bronners is a great soap that I used to use. The peppermint one was the best! I also recommend black soap, its great at curing acne. I used to get it in Harlem and Jamaica but the NY retailers actually have accounts on Ebay so you can order it wherever. Its great and inexpensive, if you can't afford it walmart sells black soap for 2 bucks. I would go with the NADINA brand if you can find it but if not Ultra glow can help. Mainstream soaps are not that great since they contain sulfates and other chemicals.
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
I will try those when I get a chance but I do have a question. I don't know how to use the bar for shampoo. I've always used liquid shampoos.
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
They're starting to fall out now so I don't need to do anything? Or could I mess my hair up on purpose to speed up the process? I'm kinda impatient but I'm willing to wait.

fancyAmanda said:

Definitely stop twisting. Leave em alone -- they're already in sections, and will likely fall out. But that's a good thing, they will dread up themselves over time.

I've never heard of hard water causing break outs, so I doubt that's the case. What "different soaps" are you using? Are you adding anything to the baking soda wash?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dreads loosen b4 they tighten 1st 3-4 months they will be loose then start to tighten up

--
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
So would it be a good idea if I untwisted what I had started or should I just leave them alone?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

just leave em alone

how were u twisting anyway twisting only works in african hair and even then shouldnt be done over and over dreads dread when u leave em alone to dread

--
Keith Lackey
@keith-lackey
13 years ago
62 posts
I wasn't sure if the twist and rip method would do damage to the hair so I thought just twisting them would be ok. So I take it I pretty much blew it as far as doing the TnR method?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form