Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

oldie but newbie with prolly lots of familiar questions ;)

S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts

*Hello. I found my way to this site via another member.*I am a 40+ mother of 4 boys and backcombed in my sections myselfalmost2 weeks ago. Well, I had a few friends try to do it about 4 weeks ago, but I took it out and did it myself. *I do not want to use any products. * I plan to use Dr. Bronner's for washing. *So, onto my questions: * how often should I wash? * do I only backcomb once, and then let nature do the rest? *am I supposed to periodically backcomb the dreads to tighten them up more? * am I supposed to 'palmroll' each dreadfor 30 seconds each day (whatI read somewhere) *after the summer of taking the kids to the pool, will my frizzies be toned down?, and I appear a goddess to those when I return to school in the fall??? (okay. that is a serious question, asked with a bit of sarcasm and snark ;) Think that's it for now. Can't wait to 'meet'some more of you!

updated by @s-pluskiss: 01/13/15 08:59:59PM
Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

how often should I wash? When you feel dirty

do I only backcomb once, and then let nature do the rest? Yes

am I supposed to periodically backcomb the dreads to tighten them up more? No

am I supposed to 'palmroll' each dreadfor 30 seconds each day (whatI read somewhere) No

after the summer of taking the kids to the pool, will my frizzies be toned down?, and I appear a goddess to those when I return to school in the fall??? Maybe, everyones kinda different on how long it takes for the frizz to settle

Hope that helps ya:)
And welcome to the site
S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts
thank you so much!!
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Dave is right. Backcombing is a starter method. It lays down a foundation for your dreads to form. It takes up to a year or more for the locks to mature. They are not gonna stay the way they look now. They will get a lot messier in the up coming months. They will get lumpy and bumpy. DO NOT redo them. This is normal and means that real knots are forming.

Clean hair dreads faster. Wash one or two times a week.

It is good to wet your hair with regular water before you jump in the pool. It will soak up less chlorine.

Good luck with your dread journey!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

yea agreed u can wash 1-3 times a week whewever u feel the need..never ever rebackcomb backcomb is damaging enough done once and if u renackcomb u undo progress

we had 1 girl rebackcombing daily for a year 1 week after finding us and leaving them alone they dreaded more in that week then the entire year

even if the backcomb falls apart (which backcomb tends to do tnr is better for that reason) it will dreasd righht back up

u see..backcombing has nothing to do wirth dreading..a wasted step it only defines the sections which u never had to do anyway..dreading happens all on its own by leaving them alone

not palm rolling not backcombing..not by anything but leaveing them alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts
I already love this site and the expertise you can share! Thank you so SO much. So it's au natural neglect for me hence forth!!
S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts

here I am at four weeks in.

updated by @s-pluskiss: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts
not a bad start :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts
posted other pics to my profile ( I think I did it right)
S Pluskiss
@s-pluskiss
13 years ago
27 posts

Here is my hair at 13 weeks.

It is crunchy on top

and loose underneath at the nape.

Is that cuz I use a headband or scarf frequently?

Any other hints and tips??

updated by @s-pluskiss: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form