Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Future Dreader, I wanna get it right the first time! (introduction)

Michael B
@michael-b
13 years ago
15 posts

Before I start off, I'm Michael. A 17 year old Musician about to graduate from high school, so this summer and the rest of the year (when I turn 18 in September) is going to be a big step for me. I had really long hair for the last couple years and was interested in getting dreads for a while. For reasons I'd rather not discuss, I had to get a job. The first question they asked me (at mcdonalds) was "Can I bother you to get a haircut" and due to my situation, I did. I walked out of that interview with tears about to burst out. For the next 5-6 months I felt like I was wearing a mask. Short hair is NOT me and it is NOT who I am. Now that my hair is about 4-6 inches long, the fascination and interest with dreading is once again very strong. My hair has always meant a lot to me. My plan is to keep my old hairstyle but incorporate my new found fulfillment into my hair. Like adding some new school to some old school, ya know. Dreads are used a lot as a sign of someone's pride in themselves, and their pride in their journey in life.

This is my reasoning behind getting dreads.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest :p

I really, really, really want to get it right the first time. Hindsight is awesome, but Foresight is way more fulfilling. My hair is naturally Dark Brown, and wavy. I straighten it every once in a while. It's naturally pretty oily by the end of the night, so I take a shower every night. :)

I somehow saw through DHHP and KB's bullshit (prices) from the first time I was on their site. A $40 Tam? Really? I could buy one from some stoner in a downtown park for 1/10 of that price lol.

So, I'm considering (in a couple months) to do BackCombing on the sections of hair I'm going to be dreading. Is this the best choice? Any help and advice will be really important to me in the end, So does anyone have any advice/links/stories/anything-that-helps I can use?

Thank you so much!!!!!! :)

updated by @michael-b: 05/23/19 11:35:58PM
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
It really depends on your definition of best choice, some people find backcombing better than TnR, others the opposite but many have had great results with nothing but natural, I myself am going the natural route simply because I love doing nothing to my hair other than washing, maybe throwing a hat or bandana on it and seperating. Others need a more tidy look from the beginning and go with the backcombing and TnR (not always promising a "more tidy look tho keep in mind the beginnings of dreads are generally NOT tidy). If you are looking to kick start the process lightly backcombing isn't horrible but with the waves in your hair a TnR might take off just as well if not better. You could always try a couple of different methods and see which one holds the best for you!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

twist n rip or goin naturals a better choice and i woulda told mcdonalds sure i'll get a haircut when you pay me 30 dollars an hour

dont ya realize..this is mcdonalds? the lowest job on earth? you should be licking my as and begging me to work here not makimg demands hell i could shovel shit for a livin come home covered in it still keep my hair and my dignity

and not be embarrassed about where i worked like i would be if i worked at micky death

you really cut your hair for mcdonnalds? really?

anyway rant over haha

backcomb isnt best cause its not very effective and is fairly damaging

tnr is way better

but natural is always best

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michael B
@michael-b
13 years ago
15 posts
Yes, I need a more Tidy look because once September comes I'm going to get a Job ASAP and I will lie cheat steal or whatever my way into a job where I can keep my long hair. Like I said I'm keeping my current/old hairstyle too, which is generally tidy/nice looking, so I desire the dreads to look the same.

Shanxon Lemasters said:
It really depends on your definition of best choice, some people find backcombing better than TnR, others the opposite but many have had great results with nothing but natural, I myself am going the natural route simply because I love doing nothing to my hair other than washing, maybe throwing a hat or bandana on it and seperating. Others need a more tidy look from the beginning and go with the backcombing and TnR (not always promising a "more tidy look tho keep in mind the beginnings of dreads are generally NOT tidy). If you are looking to kick start the process lightly backcombing isn't horrible but with the waves in your hair a TnR might take off just as well if not better. You could always try a couple of different methods and see which one holds the best for you!
Michael B
@michael-b
13 years ago
15 posts
Rant all you want :) I'm (probably) the most angriest person in the world about myself giving into the bullshit expectations of the conservative-republican city I live in. I ended up quitting 4 months later (last December) when they quit giving me hours and everyone started giving me shit for EVERYTHING I did. Thank you for the tips man!

soaringeagle said:

twist n rip or goin naturals a better choice and i woulda told mcdonalds sure i'll get a haircut when you pay me 30 dollars an hour

dont ya realize..this is mcdonalds? the lowest job on earth? you should be licking my as and begging me to work here not makimg demands hell i could shovel shit for a livin come home covered in it still keep my hair and my dignity

and not be embarrassed about where i worked like i would be if i worked at micky death

you really cut your hair for mcdonnalds? really?

anyway rant over haha

backcomb isnt best cause its not very effective and is fairly damaging

tnr is way better

but natural is always best

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if you knowhow to stand up for your rights they cannot take them away from you..

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

Wow SE, tell us how you really feel.

I completely agree though. There are PLENTY of places that will hire you with long hair, dreads, etc. The only strict hair rule I've seen is not dyeing your hair unnatural colours. But if you want to keep your hot pink hair, you just work in a record shop lol. But my old job had a guy with a dreadhawk working behind the counter, serving customers. Sounds like a cool hip hangout huh? Yeah, no, this was Sbucks.

Seriously bro, cutting off your hair to get paid minimum wage? forget that noise.

As for your future locks? TNR or natural. I've never seen backcombing have any kind of effect without wax and wax is a major no-no. tnr and natural will allow you to keep washing your hair as often as is necessary, where as backcombing will come out with the first wash

Michael B
@michael-b
13 years ago
15 posts

Thank you Very much. I read SE's Dreaducation (very helpful) and TNR is totally where I'm going. Thanks so much! And yeah, But i was 16, and depressed. I'd probably still be like that if I hadn't learned the lessons I did since the cut

Lu A said:

Wow SE, tell us how you really feel.

I completely agree though. There are PLENTY of places that will hire you with long hair, dreads, etc. The only strict hair rule I've seen is not dyeing your hair unnatural colours. But if you want to keep your hot pink hair, you just work in a record shop lol. But my old job had a guy with a dreadhawk working behind the counter, serving customers. Sounds like a cool hip hangout huh? Yeah, no, this was Sbucks.

Seriously bro, cutting off your hair to get paid minimum wage? forget that noise.

As for your future locks? TNR or natural. I've never seen backcombing have any kind of effect without wax and wax is a major no-no. tnr and natural will allow you to keep washing your hair as often as is necessary, where as backcombing will come out with the first wash

Michael B
@michael-b
13 years ago
15 posts
I see what you mean. Is there any way I can learn about my "rights" and how exactly would I stand up for my rights in an interview without it cancelling out the thought of them hiring me?

soaringeagle said:

if you knowhow to stand up for your rights they cannot take them away from you..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well dreadlocks have spuritual or religios significance for so many they also give a greatter sense of self and wekllbeing individuality isnt technicaly a protected right but religios expression is.. and religion and spirituality are not strictly defined since they can be very personal

so if your personal beliefs are that dreads cannot be cut or maintained in anty way they cannot foerce you too the same goes for hair certain religions forbid the cutting of hair ..but religions again are not defined by the church but by the believer

you can believe in a giant worm that shit out the universe and if thats your belief then that is your valid religion

you have the right to believe anything you want to believe but you have to stand up for what you believe in and defend it

the second you give in and say k ill do this or that you give up your rights by giving up your conviction

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form