dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello all my Naughty Knotty Friends

Dave3
@dave3
13 years ago
3 posts

Hey All,

I'm David and this is going to be my 2nd time having dreads. First time I had them for 7 years and cut them about 5 years ago or so. I am now 30 and still have a full head of hair so I said why not doing it again. Nice thing about this is that I did everything wrong in the first time, at least in the beginning after years they still looked pretty sick IMO. I work in an office setting but I don't deal with the general public I have no idea how they are going to go at work but i do know that they will be very clean smell great or not smell at all and at least look half decent.. (hopefully) I will need to do a bit of maintence in this regard but no biggy I already have 6 dreads in the front I did about 2 weeks ago or so and they are tightening up nicely even though I've used normal soap and my hair is corse and dead straight!.What Im doing this time around.

1 section in naturally occuring hair parts. ( ever notice on some of those dreadies that they naturally want to go to another one?) first time around I figured this out. If you don't have dreads yet you can get the general idea but the 2nd or 3rd day after a wash and your hair is just a tad gressy you'll notice the hair gathers in natural sections.. this is what Im going with more or less this time.

2. Backcomb.. very tightly.. I can't believe how much easier it has been this time. The first time I had dreads I first went to a salon and she caked the wax and twisted the hair. (she was an african lady and I guess only did dreads for that type of hair) took it out but some residue was left behind.. SOOOO LONGG To backcomb that mess... This time it might take about 5 to 10 minutes to backcomb really tight.

3 Keep clean. About to try the baking soda thing.. I for one think after cleaning any knots that are tight enough will tighten some will fall out but once they tighten they wont move again.

4 slight bit of maintence just to keep the powers to be at work from kicking me out! In my experience a bit of root rubbing causes friz but also gives the whole head a nice full look by making each dread stand a bit higher. palm roll, tips are always the worst for me. Last time I didn't even care about not having tight tips i kinda liked the look a bit. (I will post a pic below) This time I want my tips to lock up nice however. Loose hairs. no problem I just kinda twist them around the root very loosely.. almost all of this i end up just doing out of habit when im day dreaming or doing other stuff.

I will post pics of my new little ones soon for now these are what I used to have.

Peace out!

Dave

updated by @dave3: 01/13/15 08:57:15PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dude id leave the tips alone blunting the tips will make them dry 5 times slower

root rubbing will weaken the roots better off leavin the roots alone completekly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dave3
@dave3
13 years ago
3 posts
I understand. 7 years of previous dreads. I know what works for my hair. I can't just leave everything ether cause of my job.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
I'm pretty sure palm rolling will just slow you down and not really help...Somewhere on this site is a thread about rubbing a bath towel on your head (dry hair and a dry towel) and it really cleans up the fuzz.You'll just be fighting an endless battle against what dreads have to do to lock up properly. Best to just get it over with lol and not try to do anything.But it's your hair, and your choice. good luck. they look good!
Dave3
@dave3
13 years ago
3 posts

I understand what your saying. I have had dreadlocks for 7 years. I wrote to say hello and let everyone know what Im doing not for opinions. Thank you guys its not that I don't appreciate feed back but I know my hair and what works for it..

BTW soda rinse in excellent! I used 600ml water 1/4 soda, 5-10 drops tea tree, splash of lemon and a sprinkly of sea salt and my head feels like paradise right now! Very Clean! love it!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form