Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flirting with the idea of cutting ,y hair.

Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
13 years ago
29 posts
At one point in my life I never thought the idea of cutting my hair would come across my mind, EVER. For the past year or so I've fallen into slumps where I've thought about it, for many different reasons, personal reasons like my life and what is and what is not going on in it. I've tried to keep a sober mind for a while to see if I would be able to answer my own question as to why I would occasionally feel this way, no luck. I think I've just hit that point in my life where something inside of me is just telling me it might be time for a change. Ive heard plenty stories of people who've felt the way I've felt and actually went through with cutting their hair and then regretting it big time afterwards. Life is too short for regrets, and I feel any decisions anybody makes they should always be 100% percent sure about it in their hearts. It has been a journey these past 4 and 1/2 years having them, (this summer would mark 5 years), but I just can't understand why I've been feeling like this. The strange part about it is that I've had dreams in the past where I was just plain old me, no locks! And I've had dreams like that before more than once. I don't know what else to say except for that I guess I'm at some kind of crossroads point in my life. I thought I would express what's been going through my mind to you humble and blessed people here on dreadlockssite. Hope I don't bring anybody to tears with this, lol, I know it touches people inside a certain way when they have to say goodbye to a fellow dreadie, makes us a smaller community of people each time.
updated by @gene-thompson: 02/14/15 03:49:40AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dive yourself abnouther 2 months to reconcidser during that time work on anything in yoiur life your disatisfied with

dedicate the 2 months to improving your life

see if you feel differently at the ensdof that period

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
13 years ago
29 posts
Will definitely do, thanx soaring eagle. Respect.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts
Hey man, you do what you gotta do!It's not like you won't be able to grow your dreads back again, even if it does take years. Sometimes people are just ready for a change. I'd take soaringeagle's advice and if you think that'd it'd be best to cut them, then so be it.But the best of luck to you. You'll probably know 100% if/when the clippers come out lol
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts

I echo SE's advice about working on things in your life you may be dissatisfied with. I certainly know that for me, when I get down, I take it out on my body in some way, and the past two times have been on my hair (cutting, combing out), and I've definitely wished I hadn't done so.

So I'd advise you sit with your feelings a little longer and see if it really is your hair calling out for change, or if there are areas in your life that could use some attention. Always remember to be loving and gentle with yourself, and anything you choose, in the end, is going to be the right choice, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

Only you know what's best for you! :)

Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
13 years ago
29 posts
Thanx you guys, your advice has helped me alot, if I do cut my hair and decide to grow them back, I would definitely be more smarter and NATURAL about it and not use wax this time. In the first two years of my dread experience I put so much crap in my hair, I've washed with basically almost everything to get it out and for the most part it's out but not completely. Unfortunately I'm left with some mold in some of my locks, it's no point in trying to split the actual lock and remove the mold and trapped lint. They look clean though but close up you can see the flakes still attached to some strands of my hair, I thought I had lice at one point, but I had my mom confirm for me that I didn't. This inner calling within me must be answered soon, whether it be cutting my crown of glory or not, it's really tough considering the work and time I out into it. I will say that I'm definitely gonna miss the experiences that came with it, it has really uplifted me mentally physically and spiritually, I became a vegan during this journey of mine, currently leaning more towards the raw vegan movement,(but I'll save that for another discussion ;). Either way I'm gonna give it some time, work dilligently at what I'm feeling empty about personally, then decide from there, might take longer than two months though. I was looking at youtube videos of people who use to have locks cutting them off, I wanted to cry! literally! lol. Well, until next time my people. Bless.
Valerie
@valerie
13 years ago
39 posts
my friend just cut off his dreads for new years i think they were about 6 or 7 years. he also felt like he needed a change. he was pretty angry at himself for doing it though. i dont think his hair was the problem he needed to change.anyways what im trying to say is- maybe you should look a little deeper and see if the issue lies somewhere else. im sure for everyone here dreads are a huge impact on our lives/self image. i literally get identified by them. therefore i think that the idea of cutting your dreads would come as an automatic solution to the feelings of needing a change in your life/self image because 1: it would cause a lot of impact (not necessarily bad or good impact, just impact in general) and 2: it's such an easy thing to change, all you need is scissorsdo what your heart tells you to do. sometimes your mind just cant figure out why the heart feels the way it feels and you probably shouldnt waste your time trying to figure it out either. my advice to you is to quiet all the rest of your thoughts in your mind til you can hear what your heart wants you to do (this usually happens like right before i fall asleep). listen to it and youll know what to do
supp
@supp
13 years ago
81 posts
Well it's a personal choice, I'd give it a month or so. But if ya still don't want long hair cut it, if your sooo distraught you can always grow it back, not the end of the world
Jeremy Tucker
@jeremy-tucker
13 years ago
20 posts

I just thought i would my opinion..Hmmm i guess more a story of my life. I have always wanted dreads and always walked my own path through life & went my own way Ive always been somewhat of an outkast because i think differently and have never been afraid o express my opinion or beliefs. I have tried to grow my hair out many many times since i cut it short when i was just 15 yrs old But i was always goarded at all times. between all the drugs & alcohol (more recently just lots of weed) & i would always eventually, whether a few months in or a year in, come to the point you seem to be at. Ill be 29 in july & in july i will be a approx yr & a half sober & i decided i was going to grow out my hair & dread it & i have done just that. Now thats not the only positive thing in my life thats happened since complete sobriety & i am by no means bashing those who love to blow mary as i did, but my life is more positive now & i do not second guess or regret my decisions anymore. nor am i impatient. Im a newbie just starting my adventure but maybe my life story & my change could help :)

1Luv

Your Friend

Tuck

Jeremy Tucker
@jeremy-tucker
13 years ago
20 posts

& by no means am i bashing anyones decision but it may be as SE said that you ar seeking a change & the first thing you think when that happens is the easiest to change, Your Hair. But maybe its a deeper thing that needs changed, far beneath your hair or your exterior For me that was some sobriety. For you it may be something diff I only mention my story because of the fact that you mention trying to stay sober & if thats where your heart is & the change that is needed lies you always have a friend in me for help in that area!

1LUV

Tuck

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form