Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Franklin L. Davison
@franklin-l-davison
13 years ago
3 posts

Hello,

I found this site once I got home after break, and from what I've seen so far, its pretty chill. So I just got Dreadlocks about three weeks ago. Mine are pretty short, the loctician told me it was because of my texture, even though my hair was medium length. I think they twisted it, with a comb, and some grease, and for the first maintenance, they palmrolled it. I still don't know if I got ripped off or not, but I spent about $150, and that included the retouching the back needed after two weeks.

Because I got them done in Chicago, and I live in Puerto Rico, Im a bit afraid of the climate's affect on my hair. After about a week in Chicago, and spraying lemon juice on the locks twice a day, they started to dry out. Not that my hair was dry, but when I shook my head, I could kind of hear them. Yeah, Im not ashamed to admit that I occasionally, or actually frequently shake my hair to see if smells bad. I've been home for a few days, and they are kind of moist. They don't smell bad, and are kind of spongy, but I keep worrying that they will unravel. Can anyone offer tips on how to maintain new short dreads in warm climates?

Also, its been about three weeks, and I have yet to wash them yet. When should I wash them for the first time, and how do I go about doing that, as I have yet to find somewhere here yet?

-Thanks in advance

Franklin

updated by @franklin-l-davison: 01/13/15 08:53:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wash them u want to wash em 1-3 times a week u never want to go to a loctician so yeas u were ripped off all u had to do to dread was not comb would u pay someone to not do anything?

now wash with a non residue soap i wouldnt be spraying with lemon juice all the time unless u want to be a blond lol

all u should do is washj thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Franklin L. Davison
@franklin-l-davison
13 years ago
3 posts
Thanks, I hope so, I really want to keep them!

Suzanne Beattie said:
I'm no dread expert but welcome Franklin! You'll prob get a load of good advice here :)
Franklin L. Davison
@franklin-l-davison
13 years ago
3 posts

Should I use a cap or something? As far as personal maintenance, how should I make sure they lock, and the new growth continues to lock? Are there specific products that you would recommend for hair of my texture?

Before I had dreads, I rocked a curly fro, I actually hadn't combed my hair in months, and it still didn't lock, when it gets to a certain length, its spiral curls that were washed and conditioned daily (smoker). I wrestled with the idea of getting natural dreads, but Im young, a teacher, and was unsure of job security, and honestly, I grew to like the manicured dreads look.

soaringeagle said:

wash them u want to wash em 1-3 times a week u never want to go to a loctician so yeas u were ripped off all u had to do to dread was not comb would u pay someone to not do anything?

now wash with a non residue soap i wouldnt be spraying with lemon juice all the time unless u want to be a blond lol

all u should do is washj thats all

Jerry
@jerry
13 years ago
15 posts

They look good!

If this is the look that your going for (manicured, opposed to neglect) and it is exactly what you wanted, then you're not ripped off.

Hahah I also shake them to check if i they're not smelling!

I'm no expert on dreads but wash it just as frequent as you would normally.

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts

Seriously, the only maintenance you need to do for, your hair type, is keep your hair clean, condition when needed and pull your dreadlocks away from each other.

By the looks of things it seems as if you have a some matted sections already.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form