Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Trichotillomania and Locks. 1 month old - Crochet method start.

Lull
@lull
13 years ago
8 posts

Hi there,

I figure I should introduce myself, since one of the major contributing reasons for having dreadlocks is potentially somewhat unusual & it may be of interest to someone else.

I have suffered from a scalp hair-pulling disorder for the past 10 years or so called Trichotillomania. See good ol' wikipedia for more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

Suffice to say that it has caused significant distress, and I have battled it with various methods - all the while, hiding it from everyone I knew. It is the standard story that most people with the disorder tell. There is a huge sense of shame, confusion to its cause, internal conflict due to the appearance of a habit or addiction, despite no real awareness of the pulling taking place. The knowledge that it makes one appear slightly crazy, looks like a form of self harm, and at the same time seems as though it should be easy behaviour to curb has been quite difficult to deal with over the years. Luckily, I am much more at ease with myself nowadays - hence being able to talk openly about this, despite it still being something I struggle with.

Anyway, my first set of dreads was at the age of 17. I think I started pulling at around the age of 15, and had a bald patch on the top of my head that I had spent a year or so struggling to grow back. At 17, I was starting to grow into my own mind. I had always loved trees - and to me, dreadlocks represented a way to remain grounded, whilst aspiring to grow and reach beyond myself - much like roots and branches. I am sure many of you have linked dreadlocks both visually and metaphorically to the form of a tree before - personally I find it a very powerful link.

On a more practical level, dreadlocks provided a way to hide some of the damage I had done to my hair by pulling and discourage me from doing more.

At the time - the advice I found on the internet was poor advice. I had my dreadlocks 'installed' with synthetic (bad idea!) hair extensions to lengthen them, and wax was used on them initially. I never continued with the wax, because it never felt quite right - and I kept my hair as clean as possible with something that claimed to be a residue free shampoo. I loved having dreads. My natural hair is curly - Type 3b - and took well to the dreading process. I had a LOT of frizzies on top due to the curly nature of my hair (it is somewhat rebellious) and also due to the short hairs of new growth from my previously bald spot. I sometimes hated my 'halo' of frizz, but tried to remain philosophical about it being something my hair needed to work through.

About 8 months into my journey, I met someone who had just chopped his dreads off in an attempt to get rid of headlice. Turned out he hadnt got rid of them completely - and I ended up with them. In a panic (and with his encouragement) I also chopped my dreads short, combed them out and doused myself with noxious chemicals. So that was the end of that. I was actually rather traumatised by the whole thing.

Well - fast forward 10 years. I have battled since then to find other ways to mitigate or halt the damage caused by my pulling. I have also spent those last 10 years gazing longingly at others with beautiful dreads. Worries over jobs and whether I had enough hair left to actually *have* locks, prevented me from taking action. I experimented with having a shaved head - which I can definitely recommend as a fascinating and liberating experience - thoroughly worth it. I have also had many elaborate fake hair creations made out of foam, plastic and wool - all great fun but expensive and a lot of hassle.

Also during this period, my hair was always attempting to tell me how much it *wanted* to be in dreads, by forming terrific great knots at the nape of my neck by the end of each day, no matter how much conditioner I used! I expended huge amounts of effort preventing my hair from doing what it wanted, which was time consuming, exhausting and expensive.

So this time around, I knew I didn't want wax in my hair - when my last set got the chop, there was a rather unappetising core of icky-looking stuff running through the centre which I am 100% sure now was wax (bearing in mind that was only with TWO applications of wax).

However - much as I would have preferred to have gone the natural method for the journey and the look (gnarled old tree roots beat straight ugly sticks any day in my book) - a few things made me decide not to.

My main problem was my pulling. It was completely out of control, and getting worse. My hair was disappearing at a truly alarming rate, and I had approximately half the amount of hair on my head that I should have had, and some thin patches all over starting to become very noticeable.

For that reason, time was of the essence for me. If I had gone natural, I would have undone any baby knots with my constant playing with the strands, and would have had no hair left by the time dreads were starting to form.

I decided to have my hair crochetted. I realise now that this forum tends to hold the view that this is very bad for the future health of the dreads, but to be honest - for me - it will probably be the lesser of two evils. I have not touched them with a crochet hook since they were installed for me by a lovely guy called Vitto in London. If anyone reading this needs someone to install crochet dreads for them - I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending him. They were not done too tight, and although they do inevitably have that somewhat manufactured look to them - they are already starting to naturalise and look more at home on my head!

If I was not in the difficult position caused by my Trichotillomania, I would have undoubtedly gone the neglect route (job allowing - therefore would not have been possible at the moment), or at the very most twist and rip. I also would like to have tried a method that I am fairly sure would work for my hair, which is sectioning the hair how I wanted it, braiding it, then leaving it for about three months. I once had plastic braided in a four-way-plait into my hair, and when I took it out after 3 months, I had the cutest little 1 inch dreadlocks! I would have left the rest loose (assuming it was only a few inches long) to form into my natural ringlets at the tips of the dreads. That would have been my ideal situation, but I am very happy with where I am now nonetheless.

Many of the roots are already locking up nicely - especially around the nape of my neck. I seem to have got over my initial problem with severe itching, and overall I have been much happier since having locked hair. I am washing them every other day on a rotation with different products, and I am loving not having to wash and air dry my curls carefully every time before I leave the house. I also adore how versatile they are in terms of styling, and how sculptural they can be. The tactile texture seems to reduce my urge to pull hair - and whilst I still find the odd loose one and yank on it occassionally, I am - for now at least, free from my Trichotillomania trances.That for me is a huge, huge relief.

My dreads have made me feel like me again, and for that... I love them. :)

p.s. If anyone else comes across this page, and connect with my journey, or is curious about the trichotillomania etc - please feel free to message me or post in the comments.

p.p.s I am sorry for the EXTRAORDINARY length of this post. Being concise is generally not one of my strong points.

p.p.p.s One great side-effect of having locks is that you have dozens of built-in cat toys on your head :D

updated by @lull: 02/14/15 08:20:34AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
welcome ive seen vitos work and was horrified byt i understand i would have done twist and rip personaly but whatever dreading in itself is therapy and im glad your here lets the healing begin of your head and your dreads and your mind body and soul

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
13 years ago
159 posts
That was really great that you shared your story with us...for lack of better way to express myself. Very interesting and informative too. Your dreads are beautiful. Do you have any cool ways of putting up/wearing your dreads that you might like to share with us. I am always looking for new styles for dreads. More pictures??This momma has dreads,Peace
Kris2
@kris2
13 years ago
43 posts
Good thing about long posts is we know you that much better :)Your dreads look great already, and thats quite an interesting disorder. I wish you luck and doing dreads is a pretty nifty way of dealing with it.
Meredith
@meredith
13 years ago
9 posts
I think it's great that you're sharing your story! You might end up helping someone else who has the same disorder. Your dreads look amazing, and I'm glad that you feel like yourself again. One of the best things about dreads is how they can aid in finding your true self.
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
13 years ago
45 posts
thanks so much for sharing.& i was wondering why you personally starting ripping your hair out, was it caused by stress.I have a habit of picking at my face and scalp when i get nervous/stressed. & like you i sometimes do it without noticing.Peace & Love,Mia
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
Welcome to the site! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story with us! I'm so glad that dreading has helped you so much. I think your dreads are beautiful and they suit you very well. As far as crocheting goes like knotty said , it's your journey and you alone need to be happy with it so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! I hope you stay around the forum and keep us updated! Many Blessings
lunn
@lunn
13 years ago
22 posts
your bleached locks look nice,glad to read that you feeling better about yourself.
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
Welcome. thank you for sharing. Your dreads are well nice! even more so when I understand your story. You are an inspiration to others in your position. My hat is off to ya!
Star Child
@star-child
13 years ago
2 posts

that's actually part of why i started dreading, even though ive been wanting to for a while before i started the terrible scalp picking. i dont pull my hair really but i obsessively pick and its so irritating. not to mention it really really hurts and is gradually causing craters in my scalp >.< right now im not sure if its helping my hair lock up or if its just ripping them apart. but i cant stop doing it no matter how hard i try or how badly it hurts, it has gotten worse lately and pain is a big factor. it also gets in the way of working on my baby dreads cause parts of my head hurt without touching them, touching some spots is almost unbearable [unless im picking vigorously >.<]

i suppose i had somethingt o say specifically but i got distracted by the really inspiring vibe of your post. i had never thought the tree thing but now i think itll probably be in my mind more frequently and your post in general. it kind of made me feel more confident that the picking is helping it lock sometimes and once it locks up the picking might go away. youre quite the inspiration.

im not remembering if there was anything else to mention other than i too am not strong at being cocise and i really like your ppps :]

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form