Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Used crochet method... what should I do now?

kantaloop
@kantaloop
14 years ago
4 posts
First of all, hey everyone :)This looks like a really nice dreadhead community, hope to get some help from you guys!So here goes my story...I got dreads with a mix of the backcombing and the crochet method on Saturday 4th, just 3 days ago. Mostly crochet was used. They looked fairly nice to me at the beggining, but I found this website today and read so many bad comments on those methods that now I'm concerned about how my dreads will turn out...I always aimed for a natural approach to dreadlocks, I mean, I didnt want wax or anything else on my hair. I had the idea that if it was natural then it was gonna turn out good. And "natural" just meant to me "no products involved", thats why I went with the crochet. "Neglect" seemed like a long time to wait, or at least thats the idea I got from the stuff I read on the internet.Well, so I already have my "crocheted dreads". I dont wanna cut them off or anything, but I would like to go natural from now on. What should I do? Just let them be from now on? Any special advice?My most urgent concern right now is... itchy!!! The guy that made the crochet job told me not to wash my hair in at least 2 weeks. But just 3 days after, Im looking at some dandruff on my scalp and really can't stand the itchyness no longer. So, should I wash them? No no, wait. Im TOTALLY washing them. The question is: How should I wash them not to ruin my newly crocheted dreads?Hope to get some support from this wonderful site. Thank y'all!
updated by @kantaloop: 01/13/15 08:51:07PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wash them in fact the best thing u can do is ruin the newly crochetted dreads u want them to loosen up as quickly ass possible to recover from the crochet mistakeand btw my natural (neglect) dreads formed in 2 weeks flatu cannot trust any site that financialy gains from what they say they lie to sell u crap u do not wantcrochet takes about 6 months to recover from so the quicker theyt loosen the better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mark
@mark
14 years ago
22 posts
Hey, I started with the crochet method aswell. You have only crocheted the once, so I wouldn't get too worried about it haha. There may be some damage to the hair, but given your minimal usage of the hook, it shouldn't be too noticeable or a long-term problem. Based on your description and my own experiences, I would say that the main thing you should prepare yourself for are the 'frizzies' which will become apparent while you're waiting for your dreads to "naturalize". Leave them be! Other than that, you shouldn't have too many other set-backs. Just sit and wait, and let your hair do its own thing.If you like the look of them now, stress less is my main piece of advice, because chances are you will like them even more once they start to fatten up and lock properly :-D As for washing, I wouldn't advise waiting two weeks unless that's when you usually wash your hair. Besides the obvious aesthetic disadvantages, hair generally locks a lot better when it is clean.Don't get too worried about some of the horror stories you read on here. Definitely take them into consideration, but at the end of the day, if it works for you, then it's the right thing to do. In saying that, I would advise you to stop crocheting altogether now. I found that it was very good for setting the "foundation" for my dreads (just like tnr or backcombing), but at the cost of damage to my hair. Ultimately only time will create dreads. I hope that helps :-)
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
You're dreadlocks will not be as neat as they are now, and will get looser and will go crazy for a few months, so don't be discouraged and think you need maintenance. it's completely and 100% normal for you to have loops, undreaded roots, flat dreads...weird shaped and bumpy...

it's all part of the journey, if you will :D
kantaloop
@kantaloop
14 years ago
4 posts
Thanks a bunch for the advice to everyone :)Well, I already washed my hair and feel much better now (no more itchyness!). I plan now to wash it whenever it feels necessary, probably about every 2 or 3 days.And as you guys said, hair is starting to loose up and get really frizzie. Lots of crazy little fellas pointing in all directions, lol. However, Im pretty much determined NOT to do any "crochet maintenance". I want real natural dreads.I want my hair to lock up naturally, so I wanna help it as much as I can. My question now is: should I in some way "undo" the crocheted dreadlocks? or just let hair be from now on? I mean, will undoing the crocheted dreadlocks help the real dreadlocking process?I actually dont wanna undo the crocheted dreadlocks I already have. But if you tell me doing it will really help the hair to truly lock up, I might think about it...thanks for the support guys :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if u undo em will lose handfulls of hair if u dont want to dont some ppl have just cause they did not feel right and really wanted natural dreads and were very happy with the desicion crochet dreads will slowly "naturalize' and altho they wont be truly natural dreads will eventualy appear to be closeitds up to u meditate on it and decide if u truly feel u need to have natural dreads for spiritual reasons then do it otherwise accept the mistakes u made and move on from there and just take good care of em from here on out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
kantaloop
@kantaloop
14 years ago
4 posts
Decision taken then. Im not undoing them, I'll just let them be.Thanks a lot for the support guys. I know if I never found this site, Id probably be all worried by now for the frizzies and stuff. Now I know they are just part of the process.Long journey awaits, I'll just sit back and enjoy :)
Jaco Rossouw
@jaco-rossouw
12 years ago
9 posts

Hey Kantaloop!

just read this...if you are still on this site please share your crochet to naturalexperience! :)

Its almost two years later so i'm exited to see/hear the results! I am 6 months down the line on the same journey... have searched a lot buthaven'tfound any good pics of one time crochet to natural so please share :D

Much love and peace!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form