Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombed dreads!??!? are they dooooomed!?

Randy
@randy
14 years ago
9 posts
Hello everybody!First of all, I'm a newbie here and am already sooo so so SO impressed by all of your dreads, attitudes, beautifulness and i love you all. I've wanted dreadlocks since I can remember, but got serious about actually getting them after All Good fest last year and saw some very gorgeous locks. I'm a researcher and of course came across DreadHeadHQ and Knottyboy prettty quickly. Who wouldn't be fooled by that right? Bright colors, happy people, guarantees that are almost an immediate seller. Fortunately I live in Germany and the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS so in my quest to find starter kits for sale in my country, I came across dreadlockssite.com. Wooooo!!!! Thank god for ridiculous shipping prices blocking my way to doomed dreads and introducing me to all of you! So after spending a very long time looking at discussions and pictures and deciding there is no way in hell i'm putting any waxy shit in my hair, I spend a good 4 days having them backcombed in. (I'm not even finished yet but my buddy is in Paris for the weekend so what can ya do?) I know, I know... I then looked more to realize that itself probably wasn't a great idea. They're backcombed in realllyyyyyy tightly, and I plan on just letting them be for now on but are they gonna unravel despite the ferocious backcombing job that was done on them? I'm really worried because I truly love them already, and love the way i feel about myself with them, and love being part of this community that I really would just like to hear what you guys think. Gimme some advice to help me keep them aliveeeee! Oh and more importantly, be my friends yo! I love dready friends and I need some more!Chat soon,Randyp.s sorry the pics are like shitty but they're the only ones i got right now. If anything you can at least put a face to my name!
updated by @randy: 02/14/15 03:29:00AM
Ashley Ross
@ashley-ross
14 years ago
4 posts
I don't think that you are doomed. Unfortunately what damage that has been done, has been done. I backcombed mine too, and they unraveled... so i let them do their thing... and two months later they are already tightening up. All i do is keep them separate.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
Hi,My dreads started as backcombing too. That was 10 months ago. I have put a photo time line on my page here. They looked a lot like your for the first few months, then the loops and zig zags set in, the dreads shorten a few inches, now the loops, zig zags are being swallowed up by the dreads themselves, tightening up too. I did nothing after I had my son back comb them, no wax...just left them do their own thing and they sure will do that. Just look really nice. Just be patient. Keep a photo time line of yours, I would like to see how them come along. peace over there on your side of the earth..:-)this momma has dreads
YunieTheOracle
@yunietheoracle
14 years ago
8 posts
On, my gosh! Your backcombed dreads look so beautiful on you! I don't think I've ever seen any that look that great that fast.I had backcombed, too, but it wasn't for me, so I took them out and went natural.To each her own! I have a friend with really rad backcombed dreads and hers never fully unraveled, but they loosened a bit.Just avoid touching them is the best advice, I think, to keep them from unraveling.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
Mine were half back-combed and nothing bad happened to them. they loosened a little and some unraveled but a year and some later they look just fine. You can hardly tell they were ever back combed at all.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
the ferocios backcombing was probly not the best ideathe more agressive u are the mare dammage u doalso the tighter they are the more they need to loosen up to dread so it actualy slows thingsdoing them loosely they might unravel more but thats just fine that just means dreading sooneru make em too tight and they cant rearange and dread up as easilyso u wanna do it alot less tightly but not so loose they fall apartbe gentle though it shouldnt hurt(actualy since your not done u might wanna try twist and rip on the rest)they look good theyre not doomed but i do think progress will be delayed by the tightenessofcourse if your not too gemntle on em and babying thenm to prevent looseing then they will loosen quicker and then begin to dread fasteru gotta think of it this way..backcombing dont create dreads at allit just defines the sections and cramming it all down gives the hair a start at forming knots (backcombing doesnt really cause knots only crams em down, to knot they need to move in and out of loops and really knot) it causes a condiotion where thats easier (if not too tight) since the hairs all chaoticly crammed down and not straight and paralel anymorebut if they are crammed too tightly they wont move enough to knot till they loosen\

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I started with t&r, but since I ended up with a fair amount of loose hair around one of my ears, I backcombed a little dread right over my left ear. I'm actually really impressed with how it's developing as opposed to how my t&r dreads developed. Honestly, I think you'll be just fine. If they unravel a bit, then let them! Those will probably end up being the best looking dreads on your entire head. Be confident with what you're doing and roll with it! From here on out just keep them clean, and watch the journey unfold before your eyes!
Kyra Lou
@kyra-lou
14 years ago
17 posts
Wow, those are beautiful dreads for just being backcombed in!!! I'm fairly new at this myself but, if I may, offer some consolation based off my limited experience I would say you're going to be ok. I VERY LOOSELY backcombed mine in a couple weeks ago and none of them have unravelled too much except for the ends. Kudos to you and best wishes!
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
This mamma - I looked at your pics and I just love them! I am so glad you posted them because I started like you did - and my hair looks much like yours did at 4 mos. It has been 2 mos. for me - and my hair is much shorter - but it is encouraging to see how mine should develop. It is strage, some days my baby-dreads seems to be tightening up and looking fabulous and then others they seem loose and fuzzy all over the place!I did do some back-combing and T&Ring to start them off, but haven't done anything else (except wash them) since. I have not had any trouble with any of them falling apart, but I do have a ton of loose hairs all over the place. I don't pay them any mind - I figure they will do what they're going to do eventually. It is hard being patient tho - I swear, SE should just post a giant sign on the home page that says "All problems can be solved with patience and time!" lol!Anyway, thanx for sharing, I look forward to more photos! - Oh and I love how your hair looks all piled up on top of your head - I can't wait for mine to be long enough to do that!Cheers!

momma has dreads said:
Hi,
My dreads started as backcombing too. That was 10 months ago. I have put a photo time line on my page here. They looked a lot like your for the first few months, then the loops and zig zags set in, the dreads shorten a few inches, now the loops, zig zags are being swallowed up by the dreads themselves, tightening up too. I did nothing after I had my son back comb them, no wax...just left them do their own thing and they sure will do that. Just look really nice. Just be patient. Keep a photo time line of yours, I would like to see how them come along. peace over there on your side of the earth..:-)
this momma has dreads
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
hey man, my locks are nearly 2year backcombed, just take good care of your hair from here on out, you will notice alot of loosening/changes in the next 9months (you always will but these first few months are significant)and they look good so far :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form