Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can dread beads lead to mold?

Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
I love dread beads and have a number of wooden ones in my hair, plus two metal cuffs. They are so pretty and I don't take them out. There are a couple that I don't know if they will come out now.I am nervous though about mold. How do dreads get moldy? Can beads cause problems with mold? What do you do when you get mold? How do you know when you have mold?I wash with BS and use tea tree, peppermint, and rosemary oils in it. As far as I know, I have not had any problems so far, but I'm a little paranoid ever since I found out that dreads can get moldy. Any thoughts on this?
updated by @andelynn: 01/13/15 08:48:47PM
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
More to the question can mold lead to beads?
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
Lol, Supp - funny but not very helpful. haha! ;P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mine got that way from beads wasnt funtook em all out now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Can't you just rotate ya beads anyways? so that mold won't build up?
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
What should one do if they think they have mold?? And what about wraps? I've seen many dreadies with wraps around certain dreads and it looks awesome, but I would think that would be even more dangerous than beads...??
Pathargic
@patrick2
14 years ago
61 posts
Mold forming isn't a spontaneous occurrence. You don't need to be EXTREMELY careful. Just be sure that your hair is completely dry before covering it or sleeping. From experience, I've fallen asleep a few times with wet hair(I don't have a blow dryer, and it had been drying off for a good 5-6 hours. There was a little bit of moisture at the roots but not seeping wet). I didn't have mold forming the next day. There's really no need to be paranoid. As Knottysleeves said, it forms from moisture not being able to escape or residues being trapped in the hair. I'll reiterate: So long as you just make sure your hair is dry(if not completely, then at least pretty close) before covering it or sleeping, you should be fine. As for beads, well, I have no experience in that area. I suppose sliding them upward or downward and just using a towel to dry off the spot should work fine.
Lenny Ohye
@lenny-ohye
14 years ago
3 posts
I'm trying to find out some info on this as well. What's the longest you should leave beads in for?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
small ones u can leave in forever..only large ones are a problem

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
14 years ago
87 posts
I can remember going to this Dreadlock Conference ages ago and this woman who said she was a loctitian put some jewelry in one of my dreads. Well I left it in for over a month even when I cleansed my dreads. One day when I was looking in the mirror at that one dread I saw green discoloration on that dread. I immediately took the accessory out and learned that I should take out hair adornment berfore cleansing my dreads.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form