Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

In search for an american dream...

Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
I just had experience having someone naturalized to become a U.S resident. It is definitely a complex process that involved 2 years and going to the U.S embassy AT the country of origin. It was also very expensive to become naturalize or "legal", and this was because that person was married to a U.S. citizen, which is given priority over say, if you were trying to naturalize your brother or sister, that can take up to several years. And even now, after being back in the States, she has applied to countless jobs and after 4-5 months being here, she hasn't found any jobs.I've only read the 1st page of this subject, but I read you mentioned San Francisco. California especially is facing a very difficult economic time. Where I work at, I talk to teachers and I know two personally that are from San Diego, and L.A. areas. They had to come to Houston,TX to find jobs teaching because they couldn't find the same job with the same pay over at California.

tatyananashi said:
Yeah it would probably be easier to go to Quebec, and there wouldn't be a problem of a language barrier and their economy is doing better than ours at the moment. I don't know if it's easier to become a citizen or get work papers or whatever is required, but it is difficult here, you'll need to be sponsored for work or school, and a lot of jobs are not that keen on sponsoring immigrants regardless of where they're from unless you're bringing a skill that is in need, which is where a degree would be useful.

It is difficult to get citizenship here (one example is my partner's step-dad is from Canada, and he's lived here and been married to my partner's mom for over 15 years, but he is not a citizen, he just has the paperwork to work here because he is a college professor for marketing and is in high demand with a few universities, so they always sponsor him when the renewal time comes up for paperwork.

Funny I took 4 years of French in High school, never used it since, now I cannot speak it or write it but I can understand it if I hear it (slowly) or read it. And only bits. :P

Jdwood said:
Pourquoi tu ne viens pas au Qubec? Beaucoup plus de facilit pour l'intgration et limmigration. a prend quelques semaines pour shabituer a l'accent Qubcois mais je crois que ce serais plus facile pour toi...Mon pre a immigr au US et a t difficile... Tu es jeune alors tu auras plus de chance de te trouver du travaille mais la condition conomique au Canada est un peu mieux...juste mon opinion.

updated by @arturis-static: 07/09/15 06:41:55AM
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
LOL, Man ur going to putting on a few lbs. for sure when you stay to live in the U.S =]
' Or as you Europeans would say, kg ?

ben said:
You grown in the US and habitude makes us want to leave our birthplace, so you 'll easily see the negative sides of your country.
Ausralia seems to be a very great place that I'd love to visit, but to have traveled around the US I can tell you that there a thousand of beautiful places and amazing people, and I WANT TO EAT BEEF JERKY, BURGERS AND DONUTS ALL DAY LONG !!!!!!! ^^
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
Yes High fructose corn is found in many of the food products in the U.S because the foods are genetically engineered and have origins in the seed of..CORN.!!.. There are a lot of products that you wouldn't even imagine coming from corn, but alas, the chemical reactions they do to the seed of corn to genetically modify it to anything they can place it on. Then they add flavoring. So its just a lot of chemicals and unhealthy stuff, especially in fast foods.

ben said:
Unfortunately my University has only exchange programs with Europe and Canada.
I agree when you say people don't appreciate how great their country provide to them, and it's the same in France and I guess everywhere.
Southern France is a very paradisiac place to live with the Mediterranean beaches and all the hollywood celebrities buy luxurious houses not so far from where I leave...But I dream about America.
And the mass french behaviour drive me to fly to US. This always is " why do you want to go meet all these fat-idiots americans? and then goin to Mc Donalds or watch some american movies, or listen american music.
There's no rational behaviour. You hate America? Just throw away all your american stuff and your stupid "I love NY shirt".

Yea, I read every ingredients section on the food packages and always found this high fructose corn syrup, from sodas to meats ans burgers and in everything, I was very curious about it. We don't find it in french industrial food.
Is that the cause of the new legendary american bad nutrition?
In France there are many law obligations, like to put in all food packages a "without preservatives or dyes " mention. That's good but many industrials are forced to give up due to all these frames.
I can get what you say Lexi, I have never eaten so much food like during the 3 weeks I spent in the US so I was questioning myself about a possible addictive ingredient in the american food. Every time I was eating something, about half an hour after I was hungry and wanted the same, even in all your fast food chains (we only have Mc Do and KFC in France).

Does a "natural origin" logo exist in american supermarkets as an afordable alternative alimentation?
It 's growing fast in Europe.
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
I agree with Brandon Arnold in that many U.S. Citizens take what they have for granted.
I lived in Mexico for a month, and even though that was not nearly enough to get the full experience. Let me tell you, that was an eye-opener for me. Seeing and hearing the hardships people go, and then coming back here makes you realize just how good us U.S Americans have it.
This country offers Government assistance, Health-care, unemployment benefits and this but a small example. Sure it might not be the BEST, but its better than NOTHING.
Have a shitty job?Hey its paying the bills(some perhaps?)...but ever think that what you make in a DAY is what someone else is making in a WEEK (in MX) , and thats if they have a decent job.

We want more, the best, we want it NOW,and the easiest way with little to no effort.Complaining is just as American as Apple Pie.

I have not read on what the U.S exports, but Lexi's statement of exportation of weapons makes perfect sense, how else is this country surviving ?
As Ben stated "Ipod / food /video games / movies / TV shows / music / internet networks"...Ipods are Sold by Apple, an American company, but where do you think its mostly manufactured from? Yup, parts from China, Japan, India. Same goes with any other product. "made in the U.S.A" is becoming a rarity these days, its all IMPORTED.
We have become the world's 1st world power, but how long will that last? Maybe its a sign of the times, we are beginning to slowly show signs of our decline.

Brandon Arnold said:
America is a great country, despite all the hate we get from our own citizens and from other countries. Some people are awesome, some are not. If you have job experience with being a journalist, I'm sure it'll be much simpler to find a position somewhere. Maybe you could set up an internship in the US through your current University? You'd have to move wherever you find one, but that's part of the experience!

I would LOVE to visit the Grand Canyon and the west coast some day, hopefully this summer. It's hard to get around the entire country without a lot of public transportation like some European countries.

Good luck with your search though. I met a german waitress once who was DYING to get to the US to visit New York. I think a lot of us U.S. citizens don't appreciate how great we actually have it here, which is why our country is falling apart!!

Peace!!

oh and Australia is incredible too. One of my favorite countries <3
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
In reply to your last statement about The U.S infecting other countries with diseases. I say, that's freedom of the press right there. How else would we have known that to happen. Okay we know, how's going to do anything about it? Will there be anything done...probably not.

If this would have happened in another country, say CUBA for ex. Those records and investigators would have been erased from existence and no one would have ever known.

Lexi said:
Well, there are documents stating that during the attacks on 9/11 the bush family was having a friendly meeting with the wealthy bin laden family
I don't believe in all u.s. conspiracy theories, no
but I do believe in the legitimate resources that I use and the uncovering of previous classified documents
It's understandable that you find it hard to believe that America is so bad
but an example of how bad it is, is that the united states gave funding to hitler and saddam hussein
we suffer from what is known as a military industrial complex, our country is surviving only on the sale of weapons to other nations, who in turn brutalize their citizens. The only reason that our country is so pivotal in the world economy is because we have effectively globalized, or "westernized" half the globe, we have struck fear into the hearts of those who want an alternative way of life, we are a dominant military power that is the only reason. because we have big huge weapons.

remember what happened to japan?

to brandon: you're probably wrong, the only freedom you have is between pepsi and coke and what color shirt you're going to buy. what you don't have control over is that the shirt you buy is made by a poor girl in a sweatshop who gets paid 15 cents a day. the media makes things seem different than they are.

For instance, did you read the headline yesterday that documents were uncovered proving that the United States infected up to 100 individuals in Guatemala with Syphilis? What do you say about that? We live in a country willing to purposefully infect other people with sexually transmitted diseases.

ben
@ben
9 years ago
23 posts
That's a good point.Lexi, don't you ever watch some tv, movies, listen music or buy a mp3 player? Do you really think all this stuff is bad?Oh that sounds so bad about the genetically modified food. But it's so tasty...What kinds of diseases the modified corn can lead?What type of food do you customly eat since you're knowing that?
Lexi
@lexi
9 years ago
20 posts
Yeah, I do watch some movies, but never t.v.I like a lot of music, but mostly underground or thing that are not on the radioariel pink is a good artist, so is animal collective...they are...experimental?for food, I try to eat as organic as possible (it's really hard, sometimes I still eat bad stuff just because theres nothing else) even organic stuff is still sometimes bad with "flavoring" made of chemicals, even if it says "natural flavors"and yeah, U.S. companies get almost all their goods (clothes, ipods, dvds, packaging, foods) from sweatshops, and the U.S. companies only pay those people in other countries 43 cents an hour.so it's bad in places like mexico because of places like the united states.

ben said:
That's a good point.
Lexi, don't you ever watch some tv, movies, listen music or buy a mp3 player? Do you really think all this stuff is bad?
Oh that sounds so bad about the genetically modified food. But it's so tasty...
What kinds of diseases the modified corn can lead?
What type of food do you customly eat since you're knowing that?
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
Yup, an example of how Mexico is suffering hardships because of the U.S. is the massive drug war going on at the Mexico-U.S.A borders. There's violent drug related crimes in the bordering cities because of the rivalry drug cartels trying to control the smuggling routers to U.S. And the U.S. is a MAJOR consumer of illegal drugs. So its a case of SUPPLY and DEMAND
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
9 years ago
51 posts
I'm not so sure what diseases this modified genetically engineered corn can lead too, but these greasy fast foods and junk foods has created an Obesity problem that is becoming an epidemic. I don't remember the exact figures, but I heard on the news that by 2024 or so, there will be A LOT of increase in the percentage of obese Americans if the current food trend continues.I try to eat organic when I can (afford it) and when its available. And I look at the Nutritional labels to see what ingredients the product has.

ben said:
That's a good point.
Lexi, don't you ever watch some tv, movies, listen music or buy a mp3 player? Do you really think all this stuff is bad?
Oh that sounds so bad about the genetically modified food. But it's so tasty...
What kinds of diseases the modified corn can lead?
What type of food do you customly eat since you're knowing that?
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
9 years ago
145 posts
I skimmed through some of these replies and I know it's probably a dead thread but I wanted to say:
The term unethical capitalism: LOL there is no such thing as ethical capitalism. The idea of capitalism requires exploitation of SOME thing to result in profit. You can use the argument of the starbucks corp using "fair trade" whatever, but think about it- they are touting and using this as a marketing tool and an excuse to charge more for what they offer, and people fall for it. Sure, one could say that it's more beneficial, and it is IF it really does provide better wages for the people who are manufacturing or growing the product, but it's still exploiting something (even if it's "fair trade" it exploits the lower priced labor markets, differences in the value of US money to whatever market they're using labor, and the difference in economic standards of life in these regions). I'm not picking on starbucks alone, I am just saying I've heard people use them as an example of an "ethical capitalism" and there is no such thing. Capitalism grows from exploitation.
Second, I know a lot of the people on here, specifically the Americans, have tons of bad to say, but understand we are not the only country with these problems or who cause problems like pollution. A big contributor, yes, but not the only one. Not every American is wasteful, gluttonous, materialistic and dumb, just a lot of Americans are, but as stupid as many Americans are, I am proud of this nation for what it has been able to do and what it means, even if it's interpreted differently by many people out there and sometimes misrepresented by crazy media fools. A lot of people, on any extreme, say if you dont like it get out but that is not what America stands for: I say If you dont like it, change it. This is what America is really all about. Are our politicians corrupt? Yes, to a point that it literally makes me feel nauseous. Are a lot of Americans xenophobic? Yep, and they tend to not know very much about other countries or cultures, or even their own country and many cultures in it. But the freedom we allow and the systems we maintain dont discourage ignorance, misinformation or mass consumerism. Its sad, but its not all of us. Be the difference, stand proud in knowledge and tolerance, and slowly change the way America is. Complacency will destroy America, dont be jaded, be proud and make a difference.
Anyway that is just along the lines of what Brandon Arnold is saying, dont be so negative and focus only on the negative. America is not bad, just our government and our people are annoyingly dumb and dramatic.
Third, what Lexi says, yes I am the same. I dont believe in all conspiracy theories, but there are certainly too many questions that are never addressed and that make me believe similarly, George Orwell must roll in his grave. Additionally, remember that (thanks to the patriot act but also before it) we arent really free, we arent really a democracy. Were a democratic republic and the FBI has been monitoring everyone, even for silly stupid things, since a long time before the patriot act. A reasonable amount of paranoia is realistic, otherwise youre just being nave.
All Im saying is Im proud to be an American, but Im not wearing blinders and rose colored lenses, there are things that could be improved, but thats what America is about, and change can occur if enough people try. Were not all fat and stupid.
Finally, for Arturis Static, immigration is proportionally controlled. People from India, China and some south American countries have the hardest time because there are so many requests, but people from other countries that dont often immigrate here have an easier time because their quota is not as full. I have a friend from India who had a baby and domestic partner here (they were male/female but not married because they didnt want to marry just for citizenship purposes and wanted to wait till they knew for sure) and he had to go back to India for 6 months and reapply for his visa to come back to keep it legal. Hes 10 years into this process. My fiancs step father has been married to an American (hes Canadian) for over 15 years, and is still not a citizen. Both of these guys are successful entrepreneurs, which normally is a shoe in for most. They stay legal by filling out the paperwork, jumping through the hoops, everything they have to do to work and live here legally, but not to become citizens. That is not the goal of the Canadian, and the Indian is just having a hard time (he is an Indian and Australian citizen, and has been trying for American).

In short: Everyone is different, American or not, this country isn't the best, it can be improved and it certainly is far from the worst, and it isn't easy to become an American, but you can get work and live here legally without becoming a citizen if you fill out all the loads and loads of paperwork, and there's nothing wrong with the American Dream and the desires and goals of someone regardless of what they are.

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form