Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why did YOU get dreads?

Ginger jack
@ginger-jack
14 years ago
29 posts
Urgh! Red? I'll admit iv seen other people with red dreads, and they look really cool! But mine still need time! ;)

Sylph said:
My first experience with dreads was a friend who put them in because she was tired of all the maintenance of her long (red) hair. (I LOVE dreads in red hair!!!) I admired her dreads for over a year before I entertained the thought of MAYBE doing it myself. I loved the feel and the look of them and I feel like they somehow reflected my beliefs, although at the time I couldn't really express how or why. Another year passed and one day I was admiring someone's dreads and running my fingers through them enviously and decided that I was just READY to take the plunge and do it myself! I did a bit of research (mostly on dreadheadhq) and bought a kit. I did them ALL by myself in one day and had 26 dreads, but inexperience (and impatience) on my part caused me to dislike them. (They weren't placed to allow my hair to part where it already does naturally, so they were uncomfortable and didn't lay nicely like I wanted and hoped.) So, only 24 hours after putting them in I combed them out. But, just a week later I was already feeling the fever. During those 24 hours I had my first set of dreads I went to work, and I was almost PARALYZED with fear about what people would think -- somehow I had failed to take into consideration that I would have to deal with people's opinions. By the end of the day I had this great feeling knowing I had made it through finally not caring so much what people thought. It was freeing.The second time around, a month later, I was ready to try again. I had a couple of dreadie friends put them in for me and they did it in only 4 hours (backcombing) and in this set I have 51 dreads. This time around, too, I was anticipating and looking forward to losing some of my vanity due to having dreads. And now with my dreads about 3 months old, I am discovering, too, the journey involved and the spiritual ramifications, so to speak, of having dreadlocks. I have this sensation of being so much more grounded to the Earth and much more PRESENT in my daily life. I sometimes feel, too, like it connects me better to the Universe.In addition to all that, I feel that having dreadlocks expresses a part of my identity as a part of the Attachment Parenting community, as a member of the Pagan/Earth Spirituality community, and just generally being a liberal hippie, LOL. Now, with dreadlocks, I can no longer 'pass' for 'normal', and I'm glad for it!
Honeybee
@honeybee
14 years ago
21 posts
Man,what's there to say except dreads are amazingly beautiful! They are a symbol of freedom, love, oneness with nature,and acceptance of being the human animals that we are.
Ginger jack
@ginger-jack
14 years ago
29 posts
I'm loving this!!!! Haha, i think it's safe to say iv found my new family!! Thank you my brothers an sisters!!! :D

Honeybee said:
Man,what's there to say except dreads are amazingly beautiful! They are a symbol of freedom, love, oneness with nature,and acceptance of being the human animals that we are.
Bruce
@bruce
14 years ago
19 posts
always loved the look of dreads for so long and with my fine curly hair and a love of having long hair it took a lot of condiationing and brushing. I was in a position with my bussiness where I could say F--- it and go with the dreads now 16 months later after backcoombing i coundent be happier with them
Elle
@elle
14 years ago
14 posts
I thought it's good to let your hair have charecther its a part of you,dreads are very significant,and calling them 'roots' is literally what describes them best,they turn out to be part of who you are :)
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
I was born in Belize - parents are from Jamaica. Dad was a true Rasta of old. Once I had any hair on my head - they began to loc. It was a way of life. When we came to the states (Chicago) my mom cut my locs so that I could blend with all the other lil bald head kids who had perms and what not in Kindergarten and just damaged hair. LOL My hair immediately outgrew theirs because I was chemical free. As I got holder I did the perms, the curl, the gumby, the lisa lisa and cult jam, the janet jackson... you name it - I had it. Then in late teens I got earthy again- decided to loc. Went to Africa for 6 months - love it - came back home (Chicago) and felt like being militant. I had them for the wrong reasons. ..I was trying sooooooo hard NOT to fit in - that my rebellious attitude was exactly as those around me. LOL So in my 20s I shaved them. About 5 years later went back to locs - a spiritual journey kept them for 8 years. Loved them. They go heavy - (behind my knees) - I shaved them - went back to chemicals. Then 2years ago - decided to make a life change. Got sisterlocks. Love them. I got the best of both worlds - locs and yet manicured enough for me to remain in my chosen profession. Freedom within a world of capitivity.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
It's a bit of a long story. My mate (others would call him a soul mate, or husband or lifepartner, ect) and I are otherkin: People with human bodies, but who's soul is definitely not human. We both struggled for a very long time with who and what we are before meeting each other, and even after we were together we still need to have some outlet for that pent up energy and the memories that follow us through our various lives. He used text based roleplaying (it's how we met actually...) and fantasy games like World of Warcraft, while I have this obsession for altering myself in ways that remind me of what I used to be. It's a way for me to connect to the real inner me you know? I started with dying my hair... then came the piercings... then came different colored contacts (something which I can't afford at this point in time)... then the makeup... after all that, I was in a rut. Nothing was getting me any closer to myself anymore... it was extremely depressing, and even went as far as to block a number of my other artistic outlets (drawing especially. I could draw everything else except my hair... the hair never looked right...). After a while of thinking on it, I was browsing my friends in facebook (deleting those that I never really spoke to/didn't know so well) and noticed a few pictures of a loose friend of mine. She had dreads! Then it clicked with me; dreadlocks. It made so much sense. I started getting excited just thinking about it! Memories, pictures, they all started to come back together...back into focus and color. I did meet with a bit of resistance though... my mate was convinced that only black men wore dreads. He thought that I was crazy at first, but after seeing the pictures of her (that friend of mine) he started to open up.. then he saw how they made me feel whole again, and that was all the reassurance that he needed. Plus, the confidence boost allowed me to open up more to him, which is always a plus.Long story short, I started growing dreads to reconnect to myself and my mate.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I forgot to add that I never did like my hair UNTIL I decided to dread.
Ginger jack
@ginger-jack
14 years ago
29 posts
I love the trust. The way just because I asked a question, everyone feels comfortable to tell me their stories, iv never felt such tranquility and calm as I have founD in my new brothers and sisters!

Lisa McRae said:
All awesome stories, nice to read people being so open about their beliefs and wild natures so openly here. Anywhere else people would raise an eyebrow, but it's just so natural here. I love it!

updated by @ginger-jack: 07/09/15 05:18:07AM
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I started growing my hair out about two years ago with the purpose of eventually locking it. I just love the way they look and it just makes me want to go up and talk to people with dreads and see where there lives have taken them. I Just recently split up with my girlfriend of 5 years, we were engaged and planning the wedding, talking about having kids etc etc. I was devasted, still am devasted but its made me do a lot of thinking. I spend so long caring for someone else and showing them love that I stopped doing it to myself. My journey is to find my true self again. Thinking about it has actually been a big help with whats been going on in my life. This all actually happened about a week and a half ago and I was going to wait until the end of the summer before I started, thinking my hair isn't as long as I want it to be when I started. But like I said, I spent so much time loving her that I didn't even notice how long my hair actually is now! I want to find out how much I mean to me now. If that makes any sense?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form