Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying Dreads

DreddieFreddy
@dreddiefreddy
14 years ago
30 posts

So I usually dye my hair blond every few months and I know that dying your hair BEFORE dreading helps the process but now I'm wondeing about if how dying my hair post-dreading would work out. So here are my questions 1) is dying hair after dreaging difficult or even possible? 2) is dying dreads damaging in anyway?

updated by @dreddiefreddy: 01/13/15 08:34:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dying's always damaging to some extent and dying after dreading is definitely harder u need alot more and rinsing it all outs not easy...if your wanting blond tho u can use lemon juice to gradualy lighten in sun or when blowdrying lemon reacts with heat or sun to very gradualy lighten

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
If you are dying to keep up the color thats there just do your roots.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Find out if your dye is acidic or alkaline, after washing out the dye very thoroughly use baking soda or apple cider vinegar to neutralize it. I don't think black dye is overly damaging but blond definitely fries hair.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I dyed my dreads a bright copper red a few months in (I think it was 3 or 4 months in) and while I did an okay job, I'm not sure that it was entirely worth it. I was still getting red dye out of my dreads for a week or better after the initial dye job, and the color was really really uneven. Granted, I was advised to pour all the mix into a bowl and try to apply it with my hands... not a good idea if you're applying dye all by yourself. I about choked on the fumes even though I was in a really well ventilated area. If you're going to try to do something like that, I would try consulting someone (my first thought was Lish from 'Get up, Dread up' another dread forum/livejournal... she's been bleaching and dying her dreads for years with awesome results) who's done it frequently and with a high amount of success and see if they can give you any tips/help you do the job. Personally, I find it easier to just embrace your natural hair color, but I won't lie, I do (and very often) find myself longing for red locks again.
DreddieFreddy
@dreddiefreddy
14 years ago
30 posts
Thanks to everyone that replied, you all helped me out more than u know :) and if anyone wants to know..I'm not gonna risk dying my dreads- the blonde mixed with my root color looks cool anyways

Faelwynn said:
I dyed my dreads a bright copper red a few months in (I think it was 3 or 4 months in) and while I did an okay job, I'm not sure that it was entirely worth it. I was still getting red dye out of my dreads for a week or better after the initial dye job, and the color was really really uneven. Granted, I was advised to pour all the mix into a bowl and try to apply it with my hands... not a good idea if you're applying dye all by yourself. I about choked on the fumes even though I was in a really well ventilated area. If you're going to try to do something like that, I would try consulting someone (my first thought was Lish from 'Get up, Dread up' another dread forum/livejournal... she's been bleaching and dying her dreads for years with awesome results) who's done it frequently and with a high amount of success and see if they can give you any tips/help you do the job. Personally, I find it easier to just embrace your natural hair color, but I won't lie, I do (and very often) find myself longing for red locks again.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form