Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Newbies

Matthew Dikeman
@matthew-dikeman
14 years ago
5 posts
So my name is Matt and I have been wanting to grow dreads for about 5 years now, I tried once using advice from a stylist saloon but it didn't work out so well. I used beeswax and the whole spritz thing so this time I think I want to go natural or at least mostly natural, mybe a little back coming. So what I would really like to know is the advice you guys may have for me. My hair is only 3 and a half inches so still pretty short (good or a bad thing?) I have braided it into sections for now, also it is pretty fine and a little wavy and not as thick as i would like. What are your tips on the process and should I assist the dreads or go 100% natural. And incase anyone is wondering why I want dreads it is because I feel the need to connect with myself, my whole life I have really never stuck my mind to something and followed it all the way through, I always give up or become impaitent etc. I want to prove to myself that I can do something for the long haul. Dreads what a awsome journey to be, to rebel against the norm and let chaos form its own beauty and a deep satisfying meaning to the one whering them.
updated by @matthew-dikeman: 02/17/18 11:13:47AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
well to me it sounds like you want to go natural to have the most from the experiencebut to go natural lil more length would help u alotbackcombings not the best method despite what wax pushers say so if you do decide to help em along id recomend twist and rip insteadmight as well start natural now let it get another inch or so see how its going then well u can decide to go on naturaly or give em a start..backcomb and t&r technicaly can be done in 3 inches but 4 would be better and less likrely to come completely undone b4 begining to dreasdor u can let it grow to bout 6 and watch them slowly apear on theyre ownsometimes u get lucky and dreads naturaly appear in shorter hair mine was much shordter when it dreaded (i did play with it a bit tho) and i think spider feets were shorter then 4-5 inch when his dreaded too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
At 3 inches you can probably just let it do it's thing, stop brushing and by the time it's long enough to backcomb it'll have sectioned itself already. Might take a little longer with fine hair.
Matthew Dikeman
@matthew-dikeman
14 years ago
5 posts
Yeah ive been told that they should be a little longer a few times, I have also heard that the shorter they are started that the better they will look in the end? soaringeagle said:
well to me it sounds like you want to go natural to have the most from the experience
but to go natural lil more length would help u alot
backcombings not the best method despite what wax pushers say so if you do decide to help em along id recomend twist and rip instead

might as well start natural now let it get another inch or so see how its going then well u can decide to go on naturaly or give em a start..backcomb and t&r technicaly can be done in 3 inches but 4 would be better and less likrely to come completely undone b4 begining to dreasd

or u can let it grow to bout 6 and watch them slowly apear on theyre own
sometimes u get lucky and dreads naturaly appear in shorter hair mine was much shordter when it dreaded (i did play with it a bit tho) and i think spider feets were shorter then 4-5 inch when his dreaded too
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
ive heard that too but seen some started from very long that looked amazing too long jair tho tendsto shrink the most get sucked up into much thicker dreads..but thats a generalityand if u go natural theres no telling what the results might be for u they'kll be beautiful but oraganic they can look wild awhile Matthew Dikeman said:
Yeah ive been told that they should be a little longer a few times, I have also heard that the shorter they are started that the better they will look in the end?

soaringeagle said:
well to me it sounds like you want to go natural to have the most from the experience
but to go natural lil more length would help u alot
backcombings not the best method despite what wax pushers say so if you do decide to help em along id recomend twist and rip instead

might as well start natural now let it get another inch or so see how its going then well u can decide to go on naturaly or give em a start..backcomb and t&r technicaly can be done in 3 inches but 4 would be better and less likrely to come completely undone b4 begining to dreasd

or u can let it grow to bout 6 and watch them slowly apear on theyre own
sometimes u get lucky and dreads naturaly appear in shorter hair mine was much shordter when it dreaded (i did play with it a bit tho) and i think spider feets were shorter then 4-5 inch when his dreaded too

--
Matthew Dikeman
@matthew-dikeman
14 years ago
5 posts
What about keeping them in braids, i heard that can help to, mybe at the very least help my hair grow alittle faster.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
it can help start dreads i dunno if its thge best way but its 1 way at the very least the roots will grow out dreaded over a few months timeif you do the braids to dreads thing id recomend not too tight braids (alow movement loosening and reordering from braids to dreads) and not use rubber bands Matthew Dikeman said:
What about keeping them in braids, i heard that can help to, mybe at the very least help my hair grow alittle faster.

--
Matthew Dikeman
@matthew-dikeman
14 years ago
5 posts
why no rubber bands? just curious soaringeagle said:
it can help start dreads i dunno if its thge best way but its 1 way at the very least the roots will grow out dreaded over a few months time
if you do the braids to dreads thing id recomend not too tight braids (alow movement loosening and reordering from braids to dreads) and not use rubber bands

Matthew Dikeman said:
Matthew Dikeman
@matthew-dikeman
14 years ago
5 posts
ok so if i go natural, should i dry my hair out, and wash once a week or what? I mean right now with my hair short and such
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
The seasalt spray helps but is un-necessary, didn't use it with this set.. I wash every other day to every third day. I really cant see any reason to go any longer than a week between washing. Matthew Dikeman said:
ok so if i go natural, should i dry my hair out, and wash once a week or what? I mean right now with my hair short and such
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form