Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Looking for direction

Raychelicious
@raychelicious
14 years ago
14 posts
I have longish hair. I want to naturally let my hair dread, but I have a problem of what to do with it during the process? Any suggestions from people who have done it this way?Thanks!Raychel
updated by @raychelicious: 01/13/15 08:33:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mine started short but i think u mean how to look pressentable?tie it backi under a scarf wear a tam etc etcor do u mean how to go about caring for early natural dreads and predreads?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raychelicious
@raychelicious
14 years ago
14 posts
I think I am asking both of those questions. I've wanted to dread my hair for a long time, but have never thought to research about my fears/apprehensions. What will the process be like while my hair is dreading? I have always ran my fingers through my hair during washing, and I'm sure I should refrain from this if I want dreads.Is there anything different to dread out long hair versus starting with short hair? soaringeagle said:
mine started short but i think u mean how to look pressentable?
tie it backi under a scarf wear a tam etc etcor do u mean how to go about caring for early natural dreads and predreads?
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
i am growing mine naturally, and the main thing is to wait :)there is nothing you can do to speed up this process [neglect method]
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
long hair dreads fasterbut can be so fast u gotta really keep ontop of seperating as it dreadsuse the bac]king sidsa and u dint scrub or even touch your hair to wash it just soak n rincein a lil while u see it sectioning and begining to clump together..just keet those sections from joining eachother and in awhile they begin to dreadthey'll look crazy at 1st but will be organicly forminng and slowly becomming less wild

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
When I was locking my hair, ( i started with chin length hair) I had about a million different scarves and bandannas to go with every single outfit. I always just wore one of those wrapped around my head, and as soon as I could get my dreads into pigtails, I wore it like that every day as it grew.
sadangel777
@sadangel777
14 years ago
68 posts
Hi Raychel,I've been going natural for almost a month and a half - actually, it is super easy! Just don't brush, don't use conditioner, and get used to using bar soap instead of shampoo. I've tried several different types of bar soap, and found one that I bought at Cracker Barrel (haha) with pomegranate and some other stuff; it smells good but is very mild and doesn't leave residue. It is best to find a soap that works for you, so feel free to experiment! I have been wearing a lot of hats (and getting tons of compliments) and I still throw it up in a loose ponytail if it is looking bad. Usually, it looks really curly, especially after I wash it. Oh, I wash mine about every 2 to 3 days, and washing helps a lot.If you have any questions, feel free to send me a msg any time. Look at my photos to see what it has been looking like along the way.Best of luck,Bonnie
Raychelicious
@raychelicious
14 years ago
14 posts
Thanks! Seeing your pictures has really given me hope about the whole process! Bonnie Hazen said:
Hi Raychel,

I've been going natural for almost a month and a half - actually, it is super easy! Just don't brush, don't use conditioner, and get used to using bar soap instead of shampoo. I've tried several different types of bar soap, and found one that I bought at Cracker Barrel (haha) with pomegranate and some other stuff; it smells good but is very mild and doesn't leave residue. It is best to find a soap that works for you, so feel free to experiment! I have been wearing a lot of hats (and getting tons of compliments) and I still throw it up in a loose ponytail if it is looking bad. Usually, it looks really curly, especially after I wash it. Oh, I wash mine about every 2 to 3 days, and washing helps a lot.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a msg any time. Look at my photos to see what it has been looking like along the way.

Best of luck,

Bonnie
Emily2
@emily2
14 years ago
17 posts
Another good soap to try (the soap I use) Is Dr. Bronners phosphate free lavender soap..they have several different 'flavors' and it has never left residue, and even better is that it is 'low suds' the last thing you want as your locks get longer is a bunch of suds that you can never get out.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form