Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreading too fast?

Panther
@panther
6 years ago
44 posts

Hi, I`m Polly. I´m 58 years old and I started my first - and last - set of dreadlocks on 10th May 2018. (It was obvious to me that, at my age, dreadlocks are a lifetime commitment).

Most of my life I`ve had at least waist-length hair and the most repeated comment I ever got about my appearance was, you have really beautiful hair, why don`t you do something with it? I always liked it best loose and free and had neither time, patience nor talent to "do something with it".

By the time I hit 50, the same types of people who had been coercing me all along to "do something with it" were beginning to insinuate that there was something wrong about women over 50 having long hair (it was still waist length and I still preferred wearing it loose). They said, after 50 your hair hair gets thin and it doesn`t look so good. I always said, mine`s not thin, and it wasn`t, it was like a lion`s mane. But by then I`d fallen in love with dreadlocks. For two years I hummed and hawed and researched. I only found two sources of information I liked - yours and a Youtube channel called "Lazy Dreads". Both said salons are bad, both said wax is bad, both said crochet is bad. On 10th May - a national holiday where I live - I twisted and ripped my dreadlocks (very gently). I used no products, made minimal knots and left at least three inches at the roots and the tips free to do their own thing. 

I`ve always had a rhythm of about once a week washing, and gave up residue-leaving shampoos about 4 years ago.

Everywhere people are looking to speed up the locking process - I`m looking to slow it down.

Is there such a thing as dreadlocks locking too fast?

After 4 months, every single dreadlock has wild loops and zigzags and most of them are flat.

The right side is about 4 inches shorter than the left side (I`m not sure which side I sleep on, I think I toss and turn).

On the left side, the difference between the shortest dreadlock and the longest is about one foot.

I am not actually that much concerned about this, I think it is normal for dreadlocks which weren`t forced into something with products and salons. I tried to crochet some of the "worst" lumps just once and didn`t like it, actually I have never liked metal in my hair. They were probably still too loose for the crochet to have done any damage, but I didn't like the sound or the feeling of something metal going into my hair, and after the next wash the crocheted lumps were worse than ever so I left it alone. Increasingly I feel that any type of coercion or violence is a bad thing. Probably all hair would form dreadlocks if left to its own devices, which makes me wonder why would-be dreadheads can`t just leave it to its own devices.

Now the people who were trying to coerce me into "doing something with it" are asking questions like, "will you have to shave your head when you don`t want dreadlocks any more"?.

Aren`t people weird?

Dreadlocks for me are not a whim of fashion, they are like a final relaxation into what I always was. Dreadlocks say for me , "I am not civilized".

At the same time, if anyone can tell me how to slow the process down I`d be grateful, because at the moment I`m appalled at what hair can do if you let it.

Or should I just throw all the mirrors out of the window?

updated by @panther: 08/21/18 04:57:32AM
Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts
Slightly confused. Why are you wanting to slow down the process? You want to prolong the intermediate stage?
Can you clarify, what is your goal for your hair right now?

I dont see why you would want to slow it down, whats the benefit of that?
Panther
@panther
6 years ago
44 posts

They`re dreading so fast that I`ve got loops and squiggles everywhere! Every day when I get up they look different. I thought if they dreaded slower, they might dread more evenly. They are also pretty hard.

MasterJedi
@masterjedi
6 years ago
7 posts

hello and welcome to the site. from what i understand it will all even itself out eventually. you're deep in the "ugly phase" right now. its better for it to be dreading faster than slower because that means you will be out of the "ugly phase" faster.

Panther
@panther
6 years ago
44 posts

Thanks, that`s a relief! They`re changing faster than my ability to accept change at the moment!

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
3 words of advice:

Embrace the mess.

I wouldn't get rid of all mirrors but you are thinking along the right path. Just enjoy the individuality that ot gives you.

The hair being shorter on one side will mean it is locking quicker which is probably the side you sleep on but don't worry it will all even itself out innthe end and all the loops will become one with the dreads. If you want you can try sleeping on your opposite side which will probably make that side speed up a bit but if not it will all even out in the end.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
6 years ago
204 posts
Please post some pictures! I also started with very long hair, and I started in April. But I've only lost 5 or 6 inches in length overall. I do have some loops and crazies, and they're my favorites. FP is right... embrace the mess! For me the hardest thing was learning to embrace the frizz after years of product and a flat iron. But I LOVE my hair now, because I know with patience that craziness will result in beautiful locks. It really speaks to me on a spiritual level that patience can turn a crazy mess into something strong and beautiful. It reminds me to be patient with myself.♡
Panther
@panther
6 years ago
44 posts

Thanks everyone, looks like I`ve landed in a really nice forum! @femalepheromones: I`ll try, I was expecting mess but at the moment it`s like having an alien on my head. I never know what it`s going to do next. Probably just a control issue. @bazooka-guru: I`ve posted some pictures under "Gallery" but don`t know if they`re visible yet. Yours are lovely!

Even with the mess, I still love this hair better than anything else I ever did with it (which wasn`t much).

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts
Just checked your pics.

Your hair looks awesome! You've got nothing to worry about.

The messiness will sort itself out as they mature but for now they look great.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Panther
@panther
6 years ago
44 posts

Thanks a lot, @FemalePheromones

updated by @panther: 08/21/18 03:55:45PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags