Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks Forums

Hi all! Baby dreads are 22 days old so far :)

ABrune892
@abrune892
2 months ago
5 posts

I started my dread journey in the wee hours of February 12th 2018. After about 5.5 hours of TnR 50 dread babies were born Laugh . I stupidly backcombed 2 days later thinking it would help, didn't really seem to do much. Throughout the first week I re-did a couple so I now have 56. I'm a rather impulsive person (which I'm hoping to learn much patience on my journey, along with self-acceptance/love) and so I started dreads after only wanting them for a day (though the idea has fleetingly crossed my mind a couple times). I love the way they look though, I have ALWAYS hated brushing my 'normal' hair, and just love the whole natural/being free aspect of them as well, so I'm determined for this decision even if it was made on impulse lol. 

I did the dreads myself. I tried my best to section them, but none of them are perfect shapes/squares, I think prefer it that way though. It does make me a tad nervous that I may have set myself up for merging at the roots. Because the roots aren't so even I feel like I may not be separating them properly though. I think my biggest fear right now is merging/mats that are impossible to separate, though I am aware that would most likely take a while. Every 1-3 days I'll sit on the couch with my head hanging over the front and I'll gather all the dreads and clip them in the front. I then grab them one by one starting at the back/bottom of my neck and kind of go in a circular motion (probably holding the dread 3-4 inches away from scalp) while trying to hold down the other hair. I'll also just randomly separate them while bored by pulling 2 side-by-side dreads in opposite directions, it's always random ones though so I get nervous there's some I've missed. Does that seem like proper/adequate separating? I always overthink things and get nervous of doing them wrong.

I have a lot of lose hairs and they also make me a bit nervous (I have mild ocd), but I'm trying to keep the faith they will sort themselves out in due time. Slowly over this past week I've actually started to like some of the fuzzy/messy/loose hairs on the top of my head Laugh . Was going to wash every week but decided last week that I will do it every 5 days for a couple weeks at least. I've always been one to wash my hair every 7-14 days, so every 5 days seems a lot to me LOL Laugh . So far I've washed them on days 6, 13, and 18 and plan on washing tomorrow (day 23). I found my first loop today, I was sooooo excited I had my boyfriend take a picture of it for me.  ... Washing does seem to make them messier so I've palm rolled them after washing/drying, I'm aware it doesn't really do much though... It's not directly bad is it? 

I am so amazed at how excited/happy I've been feeling lately. I think my dreads play a big role in that. I'm still recovering from moderate/severe social anxiety from my teens (about a decade), and would have been mortified to walk around with my hair looking the way it does. Now I'm obsessing over it, and just want to go show it off Laugh

Oh also, is it bad to tie up baby dreads/when can you start tying them up with themselves? I have already, quite a few times, but try not to as I'm unsure if it's bad. I'd imagine it slows down the locking process too?

Not sure if I've missed anything, but I think it's time for pictures. I don't have many from the first 2 weeks because I didn't have access to the better camera.

day 1 (1).jpg
day 1 (1).jpg  •  69KB

day 1 (2).jpg
day 1 (2).jpg  •  63KB

3 weeks old (5).jpg
3 weeks old (5).jpg  •  88KB

3 weeks old (3).jpg
3 weeks old (3).jpg  •  82KB

2 weeks old.jpg
2 weeks old.jpg  •  155KB

3 weeks old (1).jpg
3 weeks old (1).jpg  •  64KB

Baby Loop.jpg
Baby Loop.jpg  •  118KB

3 weeks old (2).jpg
3 weeks old (2).jpg  •  85KB

3 weeks old (4).jpg
3 weeks old (4).jpg  •  90KB

updated by @abrune892: 03/06/18 07:58:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,329 posts

please edit and re-add the photos with a much larger size

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 9 feet long
ABrune892
@abrune892
2 months ago
5 posts

I don't spend much time on forums so I'm not sure how to do this LOL sorry if I'm making a mess out of it :( . I'm trying to figure it out.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,329 posts

before adding the 1st picture choose a size. like large you have to pick the size before choosing the file after that all will default to tht size you choose.

palm rolling can cause weak spots and friction damage. wearing them up ..if a lot will slow progress if its just a lil here and there it should have very lil effect.

what do you mean by 'going in a circular motion" do you mean root rubbing.. don't do that!  just the random feelin g round and pulling tem apart's usually enough unless you are finding a whole lot  need separating

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,329 posts

if on a pc hover over the original post to see the 3 icons choose the gear icon (top right corner)  to edit

put the curser by where you want the image and  add new image

note left justify wraps the text around the image same woth right therefore normal puts text below the image

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,329 posts

ah there you are they look great

:)

--
ABrune892
@abrune892
2 months ago
5 posts

I re added them but it appears in a different way as attachments. Can they be viewed that way? I don't think it's root rubbing (not sure exactly what that is). I grab 1 dread then try and hold down the rest of my hairs with my left hand, then with my right hand I'll kinda pull (not enough to hurt) and I'll go in a circle while puling to kinda get a 360° separating lol... I'm not sure I'm explaining it right. If it sounds bad though I won't do it anymore.

ABrune892
@abrune892
2 months ago
5 posts

You can see them :) good.. And thank you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 months ago
28,329 posts

yea very pretty too :)

just simply pulling them away from other dreads that are connecting is fine 

doesn't sound too bad though sounds just like a diferent way to do it 

--
ABrune892
@abrune892
2 months ago
5 posts

:) thank you... 

I always seem to find the different way of doing things lol.

I also sometimes grab a dread and pull it up, then feel around the root to see if any are getting too 'friendly'. I forgot I did that, until I was just absent mindedly doing it. Does that seem bad?

I think I'm going to try my best to just leave them alone and separate every couple days/if I find a problem spot. It'll be hard, but my dreads will most likely benefit.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form