Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How long does hairneed to be to start

The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Hi everyone, first, this site rocks.  It is the absolute best.  I haven't started my dreads yet as I think my hair is too short and I wonder if someone can tell me what's the shortest you can start at, where can I get good soap and how do I start?

--
Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well you can start at bald...it wont dread from bald (nothing to dread) but you can start .. it will dread when long enough

now typically that's 6 inches..but if you start from bald or 1 inch..theres a chance it might dread shorter ..not usually shorter then 4-5 inches  and if it does dread at 4-5 you might get a dread here and there (typically the side u sleep on) and no more for months till the rest is longer

i left a comment with more details on shampoos on your page but the most highly recommended is www.dreadlockshampoo.com they are the best of the best

how to start..  stop

stop combing stop conditioning stop towel drying stop running fingers through or wearing hats (especially fitted ones like baseball caps) stop using standard shampoos .. stop worrying if a hairs out of place..

basically stop doing everything you did to prevent it from dreading all your life

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Thank you so much for this information. I feel inspired and am going to start right now....I don't care how short it is, I'm just going to do it.

--
Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

theres a good number here who started from shaved heads

i should have asked what type hair you have..African hair types for example tend to lock up much shorter then say Asian types

like if you had a 1/2 inch to 1 inch afro that's enough to dread

--
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Strawberry blonde caucasion.  Until I get my hands on some proper shampoo, is there a specific method used to wash with BiCarb Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar, and what's the method when washing??  And how do ya not dry ya hair, so just let it drip dry or can you pat it down.  I suppose a shower cap would be best to keep it dry if i'm not washing it but taking a shower....?

--
Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

shake it out and air dry or blow dry in winter

sun drying is best try not to pat it down

the bicarb info is around here but it will weaken hair severely if used long term

its 1 part bicarb 10 parts water pour on soak 10 min then rinse

then very lil acv in same amount of water

pour on then rinse right away or fairly soon you don't have to soak long

less then 1/4 teaspoon since your hairs so short

if you don't condition a low residue low conditioning shampoo will be ok till you get a dread shampoo since its not likelky there wil be knots holding on till your at least past 3 inches

--
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Thanks again man - seriously!  This site is a treasure trove of valuable info.

--
Namaste
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Hey SE, thanks for the info dude.  Just so ya know, and so every other dreding legend out there knows, I've started dreading yesterday.  I washed my hair with the bicarb and acv mixtures as recommended and now I'm just going to let my hair go.  It's going to take a while cause my hair is only about 3 inches long. Namaste to every pilgrim and PEACE!

--
Namaste
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

As ive just started and washed my hair last night, if I wash it again on Monday and every 3 or 4 days should be ok yea??

--
Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yes but would not use the bicarb acv as a regular wash (or at all) there's better ways, that can severely weaken hair over time

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form