dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need help just starting

Elricoboy787
@elricoboy787
9 years ago
1 posts
Day 3 neglect method washed 2 days Ago
Should I keep doing what I'm doing which is shampoo 2x a week ?
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  56KB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

looking awesome yes as long as your using a good drea d shampoo what are you using

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
garism
@nattyska
9 years ago
30 posts

Hey just to add, if you haven't gone through the Dreaducation page, I suggest you read through it. You'll get a lot of great ideas from there which I do too. Aside from it, browse the pages of thread which you'll see others journey and could get tips the way they enjoy the journey. 

Important is if you got questions, feel free to post it, surely you'll get a reply from this great community especially from @soaring-eagle (SE).

Happy dreading. 

Peace 

Shannon aka dorkpixie
@shannon-aka-dorkpixie
9 years ago
23 posts

You're doing well :) I wash maybe two times a week. Seems to be good. I use a shampoo from Trader Joes and/or Doctor Bronner's both w/added tea tree oil; so far less itching, flakes and just in case someone's kid gets lice.

Reading the Dreaducation page is an awesome start!! Is also how I started.

Welcome and enjoy your journey :)

--
~Namaste
cicely.garrett-peel
@cicelygarrett-peel
8 years ago
1 posts

Hi, I have been growing my locks for about 3 months the natural way, I haven't done anything to my hair, just left it uncombed to do it's thing. I have only just started trying to separate my locks, after developing really big matts of hair. My hair is looking pretty crazy, and I want to try and separate the locks out and split the big matts into smaller ones, but I'm not sure what the best method of separating is. I have been ripping my hair, and using a knife to split the especially tough ones, but I am worried this is really damaging my hair! I'm not sure how I would be able to separate my locks though without being quite brutal. Any advice? If I just left them and didn't even do any separating, would they eventually develop naturally into dreads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

they will but potentially huge dreads

rip while wet its much easier and less painful

if they wont rip with water try putting olive oil only on the connected parts that wont rip let it soften it up then try to rip

if nothing will get them to separate don't use a knife but a razorblade or exacto blade or if needed those tiny lil scissors  you want  very precise control

get help with it

pull the dreads away from eachother putting tension on the connected hairs  now use surgical precision like your doing brain surgery slice carefully straight down but only like a millimeter or 2 like no more then 1/8th inch at a time then pull try to rip

repeat as needed try to keep the cutting to a bare minimum just to release enough to rip some more

once you have em all separtated out into reasonable sized sections ..separate after each wash..if needed

alternately (and perhaps better)

comb out the absolute worse areas ..if the sections are like 3 inches ..comb them out let them reform but this time keep them separated into no larger then 1 inch

any sections 1 inch or smaller just let them go and make sure they stay separated from neighbors

--
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago
9 posts

Hi, I am in Australia and am having trouble sourcing the preferred shampoo for starting and maintaining dreads so can someone help me out and direct me to somewhere they know of that produces the right sort of shampoo?.  I don't have dreads yet and need to grow my hair a lot before I can start as now it's only about an inch long.  I am definitely going to go the natural way and am very grateful for this site that tells the truth and got me away from those other maniacs selling wax and all that other crap.  I am looking forward to it and wish I had the length to start now.  Thanks for any help or motivation 

--
Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i left a message with that info on your page just now

--
The Wolf
@the-wolf
8 years ago