dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Intro / Dreadlock newbie Question

shtwinds
@shtwinds
9 years ago
2 posts

Hello,

I am a 29 year old caucasian female/soon to be mother, finally fulfilling my dreams of having dreadlocks :)

I do however have a few questions in regards to how I should move forward with my dreadlocks in the least damaging/best manner.  I dreaded my hair 5 days ago using the Twist and Rip method, and have naturally very curly/frizzy hair.  The twist and rip seemed to work great for the dread formation, but I am having a hard time getting them to stay knotted right at the roots on a small number of the dreads.  I have used no waxes or added anything onto my hair and right now it is crazy frizzy (I am assuming this is pretty normal from what I have been reading, and I have frizzy hair on a good day so it makes sense...however some reassurance is always nice).  In order to try and tame some of the frizz I had my husband do some crocheting 3 times since forming the dreadlocks, after doing more reading on here I have decided I will never crochet again and plan on going home and getting rid of the little beast. 

I guess at this point my questions are as follows:

1. Is there anything I should be doing to my dreads to help with the locking/upkeeping process now that I have them started?

2. How often should I be washing them currently?  I read that every 3 days is typical for deadlocks however I am wondering if this is different at all when the dreads are brand new.  Also is there something special I should be using on my dreadlocks in the shower in terms of products?  Apple Cider Vinegar etc?  How often can they get wet...ex: can I stand in the shower but not wash them?

3. How long should I expect to wait until they look somewhat decent?  I am going to be taking maternity photos in the next few weeks and would like to know if there is something I can do for the photoshoot to make them look more presentable at this early stage.  I know I am in for a long process and am prepared for that, but I would also love for my photos to turn out as decent as possible :)

4. Some days after sleeping or pinning them back for work they seem more on the flatter side rather than the rounder side...is there something I can do to encourage the rounder shape?

Thank you for any advice you can provide, I am excited to finally be joining such an awesome group!

PS: I can post photos if anyone would find that helpful when I get home from work

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

1 wait  thye roots will get looser b4 they get tighter

2 throw thatevil crochet hook in the trash

3 wash 1-3 times a week with either the baking soda acv or a good dread shampoo the locking up liquid dread shampoo is awesome for getting them to dread fast

flatness tends to become roundness as they flattenj in every direction itshow they compress and tighten

alowe can tame frizz for the photoshoot but its conditioning so dont use for every day frizz

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
shtwinds
@shtwinds
9 years ago
2 posts

@soaring-eagle thanks for the reply!  A couple more questions I have thought of...

1. Is there are particular brand shampoo I should be looking for?

2. Is seasalt spray useful at this point?

Some pictures to reference when reading questions...

updated by @shtwinds: 05/22/15 05:41:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

i meant aloe

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com is by far the best  its what i use and wont use anything else

sea sal6ts in the lickihn up liquid the pink sea salt sprays  awesome too just dont overuse it or u wilo dry thehair out too much

the pics klook fine look through the timelinessection for whar to expect over nect several months

--
SquidFase
@squidfase
9 years ago
24 posts

I have frizzy, thick hair. My dreads pretty much did there thing over time. They truly do not lie when everyone suggests you just let them go naturally. No dreadlocks are the same, and unless you have super manufactured your dreads with products (IE crochet hooks, wax, etc) they won't look like synthetic dreadlocks.

I wash my hair about every 3 days with dreadlock shampoo, unless I work out, or do something that causes me to sweat a lot. Which then I wash as needed. It's the drying process that takes time.

You can look up really neat dreadlock hair dos on the web too.  Be creative.  

I don't do any maintentance to my dreadlocks besides washing by the way. You can check out my pictures if you want. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

yea and squideface is gorgouse for someone with a squid for a face

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form