Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to dreads. Neglect method. Korn fans?

Will McAnnally
@will-mcannally
11 years ago
5 posts

Hey guys, I have been thinking about dreading for a while, but have been kind of intimidated by it just because of all the horror stories of wrong methods or people not sticking with it and not keeping them. I have seen multiple people say dont try to get dreads like someone elses, and I agree with that but I would like dreads like Jonathan Davis from Korn. It seems like his are the neglect method? My hair strands are thin but I have alot of strands. Its somewhat wavy, do you think it will come out similar, and is there any other things I should do? Thanks

The first photo is me, and the next two are Jon Davis.

updated by @will-mcannally: 02/14/15 06:13:41AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i would say yes tho his looks to be thinning in the 3nd pic id say natural and yours will look simular(ish) but the 2nd pic he may have done something like interlocking

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Will McAnnally
@will-mcannally
11 years ago
5 posts

soaring eagle said:

i would say yes tho his looks to be thinning in the 3nd pic id say natural and yours will look simular(ish) but the 2nd pic he may have done something like interlocking

I don't have any dread shampoo, is it necessary? I don't use shampoo in general, just water, will I need to change that?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

id recomend sometrhing besides just water if you dont get a dread shampoo then the baking soda recipe is a good alternative

--
Will McAnnally
@will-mcannally
11 years ago
5 posts
What are the issues that can arise from just using water?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

not getting the dirt out

--
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i was watching some korn videos yesterday and wondering if their dreads were natural. looked like a little maintinence may be done. water wont get the oil out either. baking soda rinse is the cheapest. also seems like Kirks Castile soap may be residue free, which is the quality of importance in shampoo for dreading and dreads. dont do anything to your hair.when people ask me how to get dreads i say "keep it clean, dont brush it." also separate. thats it. ive been watching my husbands dread up and its been very awesome to see them pop up. your hair knows how to dread itself. and you dont wanna have dreads like someone elses. when yours form up, youll see how uniquely you they are and how glad you are they are that way. also the less you care, the faster it goes, or at least if you dont care then it seems that way

Will McAnnally
@will-mcannally
11 years ago
5 posts
Thanks KnotLady for the feedback :) Munky's and Fieldy's may not be, bit im pretty sure Jonathan's are. Thats sorta was what im going for. Im going to let my hair grow a little longer and then cut it all one length and let it start dreading. Are ou able to trim dreads?
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

just let it go as is. youcan trim them, but you probably wont want to after things get going. you would have to brush out the ends (or that would be preferable because water drains from loose ends better. i have some naturally blunted ends and i have a lil mold issue in those dreads. also with the way soem dreads ball up when they get going, brushing out the ends would look kinda wierd... and there will be unevenness as you progresss so trimming before will have little effect on the outcome of your dreads. they start as knots that move up your sections and then theres shrinkage. people with long hair have the most noticeable shrinkage. people with short hair (like my husband and daughter) wont really get shrinkgage per se but it will just seem to not grow. well his hair isnt really short i guess its down past his shoulders now, but hes been freeforming for quite a few months now. i started with twist and rip, but most of it fell out and dreaded naturally.

Will McAnnally
@will-mcannally
11 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for taking the time to give me all this information. I need to add you on here or whatever. I dont know what I should do then. What is twist and rip? Is it just not brushing your hair and then ripping apart the larger dreads that start?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form