Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Six year old dreads thinning, please help

Korey Danley
@korey-danley
11 years ago
14 posts

Greetings! I've had my dreads for six years as of February 2013. They are my love, my pride and joy and we've had such a great journey together. People always ask me how long I'll have them and of course I say "forever!" I'll start from the beginning. I had a stylist start my dreads for me because I wanted them to be some what uniform. She used the backcombing method and so that's how I learned to maintain them. About 9 months or so after I got them started I bleached them....big mistake. It was the first time I'd ever even colored my hair...they got totally fried and in a week I had little fuzzy balls just falling out of my dreads. I put hemp around the really week ones to save them and kept it on for a couple of years. In the mean time, once I decided I'd never do that again, they began growing and raging-just beautiful, thick, growing fast, fantastic. So when they got pretty long I took of all my hemp "bandaids" and let them take their course. Slowly but surely every single one fell off from that point when I'd had my hair bleached...which I expected, so I was prepared for it. I thought, "no big deal, they're growing beautifully now and will be super long and thick eventually." Over the past two and a half years though, they've been gradually getting thinner and thinner. I didn't make too big of a deal at first, I just started combining a lot of them to get thicker, which they did at first, but now even those have gotten super thin at the root and several are now splitting apart at the root. I've put hemp around some again, but still they're split at the root. When I look at pics from about three years ago, I can see that in the first two years after the bleaching, they grew about 7-8 inches. In the following three years they've only grown about 5 inches and as I said have gradually been thinning. I've always used the backcombing method, back combing them all once or twice a month. My diet has not changed. Why has my growth changed so drastically?? I'm getting really upset at this point, many bald spots are now showing and hardly any new loose hairs sprouting. I can't even really put any more together because they are all too far apart from each other to want to go together. I have been on a new birth control pill for the past year and a half, but that still doesn't explain the year and a half prior that in which they really started thinning. I don't know what to do. If I stop backcombing, every time I wash them, they just look thin and sad and don't seem to dread by themselves. I'm going to switch back to my old birth control but I'm just not too confident that that's going to fix it. Please help!

updated by @korey-danley: 02/14/15 09:43:54AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop it stop rebackcimnbing

leave em alone

youir doing incredible harm by constantly backcimbing

backcomb is siomething u do once and only once if u do it at all

salons are the worse mistake u can make

but adfter that u should have left them alone

done nothing

no wonder they are thinning and breaking youir constantly damaging them every monrh adding more damage

stop it..all

wash

seperate

nothing else at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

what are u washing with

u have got to stop backcombing thats a must

but what are u washing with lets start there

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

couple more questions

do u palm roll if so how often (stop that too!)

did u ever use wax in any small ammount ever? if so its got to be removed

did u ever crochet? or twist the roots or pull the dread through the roots

or root rub or ..a full history will help althpugh just rebackcombibg can be responsible i have a feeling more ws done

like palm rolling

and i bet lots of palm rolling too huh

now heres mine

that was 5 years ago almost since then i let most combine...let..not forced

only because the ends were breaking from dragging on the ground so i wanted em thickwr so 20 years from now the paerts dragging would be stronger

i never backcombed

never palm rolled

never did anything but wash and seperate

so they stay strong and grow long

it was probly the backcomb not the bleac h that made the ends fall off tho blerach certainly can make damaged hair weakerr still

basckcombing once ..and only once makes hair go from this

to this this is a lightly backcombed hair

just the act of combing gemntly against the grain caused that much harm

doing it the way you do to dstart dreads is way more af=gressive and damaging that is more from light combing backwards to tease and add body

doing it over and over can really add up causing way more extreme harm

you hasve dreads..you shouldnt even own a comb now

throw the comb away

stop palm rolling stop fussing with them

leave em alone

and they will recover ..well..they wont get worse

asnd new healthty growth will replace it

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Set aside some time to read this site - dreaducation, maintenance, etc; and look at some back combed timelines to get some perspective and options. You may be shocked to learn that you didn't have to maintain them... That back combing is starting from scratch and that you do not have dreadLOCKS, just back combed (and damaged) hair. Take your time and learn, look, get on the chat & ask more questions - this site can help you heal your locks, for sure.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea..backcomb is a starter method..not a maintenance..as a starter method its unesacary u never had to backcomb once

but if u do backcomb..it has to be once and once only

even if they fell completely out

they have to be left alone to dread on their own

if u8 backcomb every month you have 1 month old backcombed hair that never has a chance to dread

when u backcomb the 1st 3-4 months are more loosening up then tightening then it tightens and dreads

if u dont give it that year to dread by leaving it to do what it does then your not alowing it to dread your forcing it to resemble dreads..and force=damage

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

What a shame you did not find this site sooner,better late than never though. I am sorry that someone misinformed you about dread care. They are such a part of you after that many years and I hope that Soaring Eagle will be able to help you save them. All the best, please keep us posted on your progress. Peace

Korey Danley
@korey-danley
11 years ago
14 posts

I've used nothing but Dr.Bronner's for the past five years. Most of my dreads are locked solid but yes about the past two to three years worth is not. When I really stop and think about it, those years of 2008-2010 I was washing my hair much less and therefore backcombing much less, which is probably why the growth was so fabulous. I just was under the impression that backcombing was doing good maintenance-misinformation I guess. I understand that by backcombing you are basically pulling the knot downward but I suppose essentially that's just pulling them apart. I will definitely stop backcombing at this point. I think another factor is that I'm a nurse and so the last two and a half years since I've become a nurse I have always worn my hair in double braids and pulled into a tight bun, which is a lot of stress on them. Based on other posts I pretty much knew these are the responses I would get....kinda harsh though, it wasn't really my fault. My main source of info prior to dreading was dreaheadhq....anyway, I guess I'll just leave em alone. What's up with the BS and ACV washes? Benefits? Oh and I don't palm roll or use wax at all, the only methods I have used the entirety of my dreading are backcombing and yes root rubbing...the root rubbing will be a very hard habit to get out of as it's something I just do naturally now, rather than for maintenance

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the root rubbings pretty bad..worse then backcomb the tight hairstyles can also cause issues

srry i didnt mean to come off harsh idf that wasto me haha and beleive me i know what damage dreadheadyq can do to you

bronners is ok if u dont have hard water

bs/acv is a deep cleanse and exfolistes the scalp

its a no scrub method so great for early natural dreading

if u used shampoos like bronners for 6 years when y do your 1st bs wash catch the rinse water in a bowl and photograph it you will be shocked at how much more dirt it removed

--
Korey Danley
@korey-danley
11 years ago
14 posts

updated by @korey-danley: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form