Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Very hard and dry locks.. :(

Nynne Nova
@nynne-nova
11 years ago
13 posts
HeyNy dreadlocks are about 2 years old. I have dyed them since i made them, but now they are getting really hard and dry.. I don't dare to dye them anymore. I have used some conditioner In the ends, but it don't seems to work so well. What should I do? Have herd about aloe vera gel? Please help me. I love ny dreadlocks and it would almost be the end of the World for me if I had to cut them off :(
updated by @nynne-nova: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hey back atch ya. There is a group you should join on this site, called Dyed Dreadheads. These are members who do dye their hair, you would find wonderful tips on there for you.

Do you think that you have residue build up in your locks? That may account for the hardness. An anti-residue shampoo like Neutrogena will help get rid of residue if you have it. This is strong stuff and should only be used 2-3 times a year. Does it work, it sure does, you see the built up residue coming out when you rinse the shampoo out.

After I used the Neutrogena & rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, I laid back in the tub and let my hair float around for 1/2 an hour to ensure it was all out.

I do not dye dreads, but I would think that you would really have to work hard in getting it out of the dread after dying them. Perhaps you have some stuck in there?

100% Aloe Vera gel is a healthy choice for dreads. If you can, purchase a plant and use it the freshest way you can. It is a great conditioner for mature dreads and will soften your locks.

Nynne Nova
@nynne-nova
11 years ago
13 posts

Thank you so much for your answer ^^
I have startet using aloe vera today, so i hope it will work :)
I dont think that I have any residue from the dye in my locks, and i wash my hair pretty often, so it should have been washed out.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

any crochet or wax or product can contribute as well. you can use jojoba oil on mature locs too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

u used a crochet hook thats why never ever ever crochet dreads throew the hook away

use aloe strauight from the plant

if u crochetrted for 2 years you are going to have years of recovery crochets evil

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nynne Nova
@nynne-nova
11 years ago
13 posts

I've only used crochet hook when I made my dreads and to put loose hair gently into some of dreadslocks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

u should nbever ever use it it creates the loose hairs by breaking hairs and makes them very tight and stiff its dread abuse

--
Nynne Nova
@nynne-nova
11 years ago
13 posts

so are my dreadlocks destroyed? or can I save them with aloe and Jojoba oil?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

u can save em just throw away the hook use the aloe.jojoba

they will get a lil extrra fuzzy dfrom all the broken hairs poping out

they will take a good long time to recover but will be ok

--
Nynne Nova
@nynne-nova
11 years ago