Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I lost my edges

Mary
@mary
12 years ago
140 posts

So I finally looked at my hair in the mirror. I have my father's hairline so I normally don't have much hair on my upper sides but now I realized how much damage I have caused.

For starters I have been going to the salon for maintenance and styling once a month. Before I get a million I told you so's it was not the Salon's fault entirely. I either wash my hair once a month or get it done at the salon. I have not put ANY oils or nourishing products in my hair for many months (I once sprayed some Sproil.) Over the last few months I have switched from having one of those satin pillow covers that are supposed to protect your hair to one of those bonnets with a thick elastic band inside of it. I did this to cut down on the lint problem and because the head scarf kept falling off. I would pinch my hair sometimes and it came off like dust.

I know my negligence is my problem. But at the same time this happened a couple of years ago, when I had an afro and wore matching elastic headbands everyday to work. But I did nourish and wash it normally. I am skipping the salon this month but next month is what I dread. I need to trim off the excess hairs and a good palm rolling. I just don't want to sit in that salon chair as she tightens my dreads. I even have some gaps in my dreads. I thought that was because of how they were originally created but I think its from the constant twisting. A few months ago, my Aunt with floor length dreads told me that all I needed were a brush and a spray bottle of olive oil. My rasta Uncle told me I should not eat pork. All I can think of right now is apply some homemade dreadlock oil (rosemary,etc) . I am just at wits end, I have no idea what to do!

updated by @mary: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

nevber ever ever go to the salon again

tightening them is whats caused this why do threy need tightening? they only should be as tight as they want to be any tighter and your pulling the hair right out of the scalp

now wash wash wash wash 3 times a week start todday

buy these www.dreadlockshampoo.com bard

get a lil aloe and jojoba or jojoba and vitamin e

put that on your scalp and massage your scalp daily to increase bloodflow\

stop wearing anythung on at night stop with elstics

you will get way worse if you ignore this if u go back to the salon...ever..

the worse thibg you can do now is to ever go back there

wash wash wash and no palm rolling no twisting no nothing

leave them alone!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Coloursnrainbows
@coloursnrainbows
12 years ago
21 posts
Just leave them alone and let them repair themselves. Don't touch. No more retwisting no more salon visits. Just wash and pamper them and don't touch. It will take a couple of months to see regrowth and healing from this.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

this is where your heading if you keeop going to the salon they are causing this

you never ever ever want to twist your dreads or force then to tighten

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Mary, please show a new photo in a couple of months so we see the improvement from no salon visits. Hope it repairs soon for you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

it will take about 3 months of no salon and daily massaging to see an improvement

--
Mary
@mary
12 years ago
140 posts

I just hope that I can stay away from the Salon. My sister is convinced its the way that I wear the elastic cap and does not think it has anything to do with the salon. Of course she wears wigs, lives 1000 miles away, and bases this on people's dreads that she sees on the Subway.

the Barrellady said:

Hi Mary, please show a new photo in a couple of months so we see the improvement from no salon visits. Hope it repairs soon for you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

its a combination of both but way more the salon

stop both

and its easy to stay away if u just start washing it yourself and leave it alone

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form