Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread splitting from root?

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Oh, I wasn't referring to currently twisting, I was referring to twisting while backcombing initially to get a more cylindrical shape. Kind of like the TnR method where you twist... and then rip... repeat. The same is usually done with the backcomb method where you backcomb... and twist... and repeat. This initial twisting could cause looping at the roots.

I'm not saying she should comb them out either. Just observing what is probably causing it. Over time, if the dread continued to be stubborn, she can split it by just pulling it apart (not combing it out.)

Alexander Suma said:

As far as the comments about back combing go,it is too late.She has them and I don't think she will comb them out..She doesn't twist.I'll just have to tell her to wait it out :D

Valrie said:

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

1) This would naturally be 2 sections if the hair had not been backcombed.

2) If she twisted while backcombing this could just be the hair untwisting (think of this in terms of a pair of twisted coils. When you twist them together they hug each other pretty tightly but if you pinch both ends and move to untwist them (or push the end towards the top - which is what is kind of happening with the knotting going on in dreads- hence the shrinkage, they split apart.)

Either way, you can just let it alone and it will start to dread together. If they start to dread independently I suppose you can try to force them together or split them?

updated by @valrie: 07/16/15 04:10:52PM
Alexander Šuma
@alexander-uma
12 years ago
17 posts

Sorry for the late Thank you Valerie.Thank you for the bead and wrap advice.We'll both give it a try.

Rasta Courage
@rasta-courage
12 years ago
12 posts
I seem to be having some similar issues with roots splitting. My tnr dreads are fairly new with random sectioning. Lot of good and helpful info in this discussion. Thanks to all who provided advice.
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
12 years ago
92 posts
I second the bead suggestion offered by Valrie. I had a dread attempt this in my first set. I had also backcombed and this dread was TINY (under 2.5cm) but it wanted to split into 3! I put a bead on it for a few weeks or so and that was that! Best wishes!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form