Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

6 years old. I had one set done with wax when I was 17. I was told to apply wax 2 times a week and not wash for 2 months. I did what I was told and my hair melted off my scalp. I mean it. When I finally washed them, the pressure from the water just peeled the hair off my head. I didn't even have to touch it. So I started my next set after shaving my head and starting from scratch.

This set I back combed one or 2, TnR'd a few, and just let the majority of them do what they wanted. I used bands for about a week, and it was just pulling hair out left and right so I stopped that. I palm rolled 4-5 (check my video on what palm rolling does to your roots).

6 years later, I can say that I did almost every method that people try, minus crocheting. I even interlocked one or 2 and can attest to the damage that does. I don't want to cut my hair ever again, so I am dealing with the recovery stages of all of the processes. It's been long and grueling, but totally worth keeping my locks.

It's better for them to be all different sizes. It layers them and fills in gaps. Plus it just looks more organic

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It should be under the featured vids. But here it is:

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/why-not-to-palm-roll

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

People say to palm roll because they see it clean up loose hair for the moment. What they fail to mention is that the reason they tell you to do it every day is that it doesn't actually fix anything. You'll wake up the next morning and all of those frizzy hairs are back. And the same thing after you wash. If you have really messy hair to begin with, it might even only last for a few hours. If palm rolling actually fixed loose hairs and tamed them, you'd only have to do it once the day you started, and never have to do it again.

I'm glad you joined too

updated by @baba-fats: 07/19/15 12:16:42PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Do you sleep on your side or back? Whatever side you sleep on tends to see the most and fastest progress

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's probably why there are more loose hairs on the back of your head.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hey Kena, looks like Baba took care of pretty much all of your questions while I ran out for a bit. Great! I'm glad you joined and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :)

I forgot to mention that the baking soda and apple cider vinegar may already be in your family kitchen as well. They are pretty common for baking.

Baba: Dune is an excellent book! I honestly haven't read the rest of the series but my bf is completely up to date on those as well as all Tolkien. Wow, I really need to re-read that again. It's been at least a decade and a half.

Being a math nut kind of puts me at the edge of the sciences. I find it interesting enough but I don't get a lot of pull across that threshold often. For my Gen Ed I took Bio and I took Astronomy. When I was going to cosmetology school there was a lot of chemistry, physiology, and biology but (except for the physiology) it wasn't comprehensive.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ever read "Mathematians read the Newspaper". Great book. You should check it out. It''s all bout statistics.

I tried getting into the rest of the Dune Series, but got distracted. I have the next 3, but am in a different series right now, so it'll have to wait. I never got into Tolkien. I know I should. I have the trilogy and the Hobbit. But I tried reading the Hobbit in 9th grade and got annoyed that 60 pages in he was still talking about the forest. Maybe now that I'molder and read more, I'll give it shot

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dreads thicken as they mature but they shiuld be the size they want ..a mix of thick and tgn that blend together

if u force em all mto be thick u have some try to soplit that wanted to be smaller and others joij n into mega thick dreds

and absolutely do noyt re-backcomb

all that does is keep them 1 day old reseting progress andnever moving forward..u got to leave em alone..only by doing nothing will it allow them to do something

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hazanko
@hazanko
12 years ago
27 posts
I'm not very experienced and I'm about as far along as you are(a little over 2 months), but judging by your photos some of your dreads are going to be GIGANTIC.Btw you mentioned that you don't really have money to afford any ''products'', just figured I'd say that you can get both baking soda and acv for probably like $2-4 TOTAL, and it'll last you quite a long time. Not sure if you were aware how cheap they are, just thought I'd let you know since I myself condone washing with baking soda and some people may not realize that a rather large box is like less than a dollar. If you live with your parents, I'd be really surprised if you didn't have BS laying around, if not even the acv as well.
Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

Just make sure not to use baking soda out of the fridge because it has already absorbed some funky odors you may not want to be washing your hair with. :)

updated by @jackie: 07/18/15 12:17:43PM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form