Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

retwisting dreads locs dangers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Instead of retwisting just separate me separate roots come loose you'll notice progress. You also notice Some length gained.Just use what's called ripping or popping Instead of twisting

Red Dreemz said:

whew after seeing this post I am happy that I stopped re-twisting my dreads bi-weekly as recommended.. I have been growing for a 1yr and 1/2 and notice 8 months into that is was weakening my hair... this is scary thank you for posting this.. now I have proof to share with others that re-twisting is ridiculous and can cause a great deal of damage.. if i do re-twist my hair it is once every few months just so I can see progress since my hair is naturally curly its hard to see the growth,, Thank you again for posting this,

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan
@ryan
12 years ago
1 posts
I retwist only when I have a section completely loose.I've had mine in since August/September 2010. I just leave on a beanie most of the time. But lately, my friends been telling me they look ok to not wear a hat
Jay Simmons
@jay-simmons
12 years ago
17 posts

Ok, I just got all my supplies and I'm about to embark on a journey of repair & recovery. Wish me luck and will post pictures each or every 2 weeks. Thanks for all support and comments, as I have learned a lot over the few weeks. I have purchased 2 beanies and even my daughter likes them, lol!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Awesome, I would expect your recovery could take a while. About month by month we should see some improvement. But I would think significant improvement would be maybe six months or more. But don't worry I'm hoping for a full recovery. I guess in 3 to 4 months you really should be showing signs of thickening and filling in the gaps

--
Tiffany3
@tiffany3
12 years ago
3 posts

i was just talking to my aunt the other day (fellow dreadie) and she was saying how she had a bout with alopecia too. she had to go to a dr and get shots in her scalp (ouch) since they were dime sized. i started telling her about this site and how i haven't gotten my dreads retwisted in like 2 almost 3 months. her dreads are gorgeous but she has lostmore than afew dreadsalong the way and i definitely do not want to go down that path. everytime i feel like i need to go to a salon i come back to this site and remind myself why i shouldn't. just dont do it!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good good i see alopecia every day on the strets amongst african americans i swear it seems like 1/3 have it even lil kids caue thry get too tight braids then leaveem in way too long

shots in tyhe scalp sound painful but perhaps he shoup]=ld lok into a medical drs help with this as well

--
Tiffany3
@tiffany3
12 years ago
3 posts

yea definitely! my aunt said after the shots her hair did grow back so it's worth a shot. usually im not into all the meds and drs but if there are no holistic cures he should try it as a last resort sincemy auntdid have success with it. hopefully this post helps other people going through the same issues.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lets hope so i have noticed alotta ppl lately searching is it ok to retwist dreads weekly and i added this to the twisting dreads page (well the vid) and the interlocking page too so maybe alot of people will get the idea

--
Jay Simmons
@jay-simmons
12 years ago
17 posts

This is a 3 week update on my progress...look at the before pics and check out the now...smiling from ear to ear :) I've posted two pics, so make sure you let me know how I'm doing. 12 years is too long to let them go. Thanks for all the help and support and if we are not friends, please send a request! Much love!

updated by @jay-simmons: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jay Simmons
@jay-simmons
12 years ago
17 posts

updated by @jay-simmons: 07/10/15 06:10:22AM

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form