Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Gunky scalp, scabs and juice.....help me

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

I would just like to say here, thatALL hairdressers are not bad...just unfamiliar with dreads. Dreads are not taught in Beauty College at all. I have been a licensed stylist for 31 years and it really offends me that everyone lumps us all together and just assumes we are all harmful, stupid cheaters. That is not true. Like any profession,there are good and bad. Just because someone chooses to dread and no longer cuts their hair, it doesn't invalidate all our knowledge and expertise. I personally have been on this site for 18 mos. giving good advice and trying to help people who ask questions about hair structure, scalp health, and many coloring/bleaching questions. So, it would be nice if people realized that all stylists are not the same...and like any other individual, we are entitled to respect. Thanks.

Mark Fry said:

Hey Preston.

Just so you know, the Baking Soda wash is tops. It's best to put all the BS wash in a jug and pour it over your head allowing it to drip dry. Leave it for 15-30 depending on how intense of a clean you want. I normally head outside and do some yard work so I don't drip throughout the house. Then rinse it very well.... make sure you do this step. After that. ACV rinse..... leave it in for 5 mins before you wash it out. Only rinsing it tough.... you just want to get all the ACV and left over BS out.

I think you just need to give it a really good clean (with out scrubbing the dreads, only the scalp).

As for what your mum and her hairdresser say...... forget about it. It's not their hair and they would have no idea. The hairdresser uses toxic products and puts on peoples scalp and hair.... that's way worse than anything you've got going on. Just remember, your dreads are your own and they will do what they please for quite a while until they become formed. Mine took months

updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/23/15 08:43:06AM
Preston Consagra
@preston-consagra
13 years ago
6 posts

Well, I'm glad your here Panterra!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

panterra's a good resource

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your right we should specificly say when it comes to dreads they know nothing

especialy the ones that claim to be dread professionals

but you we look y=]up to your our expert on all things hair and scalp

and we love you

Panterra Caraway said:

I would just like to say here, thatALL hairdressers are not bad...just unfamiliar with dreads. Dreads are not taught in Beauty College at all. I have been a licensed stylist for 31 years and it really offends me that everyone lumps us all together and just assumes we are all harmful, stupid cheaters. That is not true. Like any profession,there are good and bad. Just because someone chooses to dread and no longer cuts their hair, it doesn't invalidate all our knowledge and expertise. I personally have been on this site for 18 mos. giving good advice and trying to help people who ask questions about hair structure, scalp health, and many coloring/bleaching questions. So, it would be nice if people realized that all stylists are not the same...and like any other individual, we are entitled to respect. Thanks.

Mark Fry said:

Hey Preston.

Just so you know, the Baking Soda wash is tops. It's best to put all the BS wash in a jug and pour it over your head allowing it to drip dry. Leave it for 15-30 depending on how intense of a clean you want. I normally head outside and do some yard work so I don't drip throughout the house. Then rinse it very well.... make sure you do this step. After that. ACV rinse..... leave it in for 5 mins before you wash it out. Only rinsing it tough.... you just want to get all the ACV and left over BS out.

I think you just need to give it a really good clean (with out scrubbing the dreads, only the scalp).

As for what your mum and her hairdresser say...... forget about it. It's not their hair and they would have no idea. The hairdresser uses toxic products and puts on peoples scalp and hair.... that's way worse than anything you've got going on. Just remember, your dreads are your own and they will do what they please for quite a while until they become formed. Mine took months

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Thank you very much Preston! I am glad you are here too! :)

Preston Consagra said:

Well, I'm glad your here Panterra!

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Thank you Baba! I have worked hard to become a resource here that peoplecan feel good about :)

Baba Fats said:

panterra's a good resource

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Thank you Soaring Eagle! I have tried to learn as much as I can about dreads hereon the site, to supplement and complement what was missing from Beauty College. I have always felt a great sense of responsibility to inform and educate the public about their hair. Now, I also want to be a positive factor in making the site the very best it can be under your knowledgeable leadership. I love you all too <3

soaring eagle said:

your right we should specificly say when it comes to dreads they know nothing

especialy the ones that claim to be dread professionals

but you we look y=]up to your our expert on all things hair and scalp

and we love you

Panterra Caraway said:

Mark Fry said:

Hey Preston.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Awesome to see you again, Panterra!

And yup, like any profession or specialization, hair dressers have a range of education to offer clients. It's kinda hard to 'interview' a hair dresser though, which ticks me off. You have to literally let them work their craft on your hair in order to see if they understand what you're trying to communicate. Imagine having a dozen people say, "I'm really good at cutting curly hair" and then they proceed to pull your hair taunt and slice and dice their way into making your hair a good three inches shorter than what it's supposed to be and flared out in twenty directions as opposed to the stylist who REALLY has experience cutting curly hair and who doesn't pull the curls at all except to untangle them and get a feel for how they want to lay before snipping. I've only had a grand total of THREE stylists who understand curly hair in my entire life.

Education and experience varies.

I am very thankful for a resource like Panterra here. And very thankful that dreads are(will be!!! ONE day for me!) a hair style which can be maintained on my own. No salon visits(or locticians) for trims, etc. For dying... yeah. I can see a need for a salon visit even if you have dreads. It's kinda hard to see the back of your head to know if you've saturated the hair enough.

Mark Fry
@mark-fry
13 years ago
39 posts

Hi Panterra.

In reply to your comment you made about my previous comment. I think you may have taken what I wrote personally. Let me just start by saying that is not what I intended. I don't think it's uncommon knowledge that people in general not just hair dressers have a lack of correct information about dreads. Hairdressers have an extensive skill set in what they do, however as you say dreadlocks aren't something they study at school. It's certainly not an unfair statement to say forget about what your mum and hairdresser say... at the end of the day it's down to the individual.
I'm glad glad Panterra is on this site getting quality information now. It would be sad to hear she gave up because somebody had told her that dreadlocks were going to ruin her scalp. Everyone on this site knows that's not true.

Panterra, keep up the good work. Wash those dreads and watch those beauties grow into mini ropes. It'll be great to watch them blossom. Get some regular pictures up :)

Peace

Panterra Caraway said:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Yes Angel, it is difficult to interview a sylist...but it is possible. I guess being a professional, there are definite questions that I would ask and things I would look for. Unfortunately, curly hair does pose a challenge to somestylists. I feel irritated when I hear stylists boast about skills that I personally know they don't possess. I have worked right next to guys and girls who simply lied and their standard answer was, "Sure, no problem...I can do that." It is a challenge to gracefully "rescue" a client...you really can't just intervene, but I have "worked " circumstances to get a client into my chair so some other person won't wreck them! LOL

Angel Frye said:

Awesome to see you again, Panterra!

And yup, like any profession or specialization, hair dressers have a range of education to offer clients. It's kinda hard to 'interview' a hair dresser though, which ticks me off. You have to literally let them work their craft on your hair in order to see if they understand what you're trying to communicate. Imagine having a dozen people say, "I'm really good at cutting curly hair" and then they proceed to pull your hair taunt and slice and dice their way into making your hair a good three inches shorter than what it's supposed to be and flared out in twenty directions as opposed to the stylist who REALLY has experience cutting curly hair and who doesn't pull the curls at all except to untangle them and get a feel for how they want to lay before snipping. I've only had a grand total of THREE stylists who understand curly hair in my entire life.

Education and experience varies.

I am very thankful for a resource like Panterra here. And very thankful that dreads are(will be!!! ONE day for me!) a hair style which can be maintained on my own. No salon visits(or locticians) for trims, etc. For dying... yeah. I can see a need for a salon visit even if you have dreads. It's kinda hard to see the back of your head to know if you've saturated the hair enough.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form