Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Gunky scalp, scabs and juice.....help me

Preston Consagra
@preston-consagra
13 years ago
6 posts

I've been dreading the neglect route since the end of october.

after two weeks in the beginning with no washing, scalp itched and burned like the fiery depths of hell, selson blue (one use) solved that. Which brought me to the baking soda/ACV rinses, seemed ok. But at some point i noticed random scab-like spots that released a thin juicy liquid.....prettyscary! That only occurred like twice with in my journey, just so you know. I'dscratch my head and get soft skin under my nails (freaked me out) and used a little more ACV for that next wash. Now after all of this after using BS/ACV wash 2 to 3 times a week, I've noticed white build up it has to be the baking soda on my scalp. I don't know what to do!

I use a spray bottle for the BS (empty cleaner type found at walmart)

1 tablespoon per cup of water (I generally use 2 cups of water)

For ACV I use a pitcher filled to the top and add 1/4 cup or 1/3 (depends)

My mother heavily critisizes me saying I dont know what I'm doing and said her hairdresser said im ruining the health of my scalp. My mom also says my hair looks like its just straight hair stuck together (for reference). But in pictures of early dreads...it seems like thats natural.

Please help!

updated by @preston-consagra: 02/14/15 03:35:32AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

how long are u soaking the bs will turn dead skin into a sorta paste and if u dont thouroughly remove it u get that creamy mud like dead skin layer thats exfoliated yet not fully removed

u might want to try these www.dreadlockshampoo.com

the liquid will help em knot (scrub only the scalp carefully)

the bars are pure bliss when theyre more establisged

your hair and scalp will be healthy and happy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Preston Consagra
@preston-consagra
13 years ago
6 posts

I douse my hair with the BS (plus rosemary/teatree) for a few minutes while I wash my body and then rinse.

Mark Fry
@mark-fry
13 years ago
39 posts

Hey Preston.

Just so you know, the Baking Soda wash is tops. It's best to put all the BS wash in a jug and pour it over your head allowing it to drip dry. Leave it for 15-30 depending on how intense of a clean you want. I normally head outside and do some yard work so I don't drip throughout the house. Then rinse it very well.... make sure you do this step. After that. ACV rinse..... leave it in for 5 mins before you wash it out. Only rinsing it tough.... you just want to get all the ACV and left over BS out.

I think you just need to give it a really good clean (with out scrubbing the dreads, only the scalp).

As for what your mum and her hairdresser say...... forget about it. It's not their hair and they would have no idea. The hairdresser uses toxic products and puts on peoples scalp and hair.... that's way worse than anything you've got going on. Just remember, your dreads are your own and they will do what they please for quite a while until they become formed. Mine took months

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Can you pour on the BS and then wrap it up in a towel? It won't drip "dry" but it'll sit on the hair for a good while longer.

What if you have hard water? Then wont the gunk still stay on the scalp? I've even tried doubling the amount of BS I use in a cup of water(1 tsp up to 2 tsp) and still no relief from the gunk.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

tsp? you want tablespoon not teaspoon thats what the issue is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Ah. Alrighty. I'll try two TABLEspoons in a few days. Just did my hair today. gah.

Thanks, SE.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Shit, I couldn't take it anymore. I washed again today. And THIS time I put in 2 tablespoons per cup of warm water. Only left it on for 5 minutes while I shaved my legs but whoo boy NOW I know what you mean, SE, about the scalp tingle! It wasn't bad, really. I just instinctively knew that it was time to rinse. I don't think I could personally leave it on for more than 10 minutes. After 5 minutes my scalp and hair felt a lot better. I think it'll take another wash in a few days to get the rest of the build up out of my hair but I do feel a lot better! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here is always so patient with us n00bs.

However, I just saw my mother today after my hair dried and she said, "oh, you finally decided to brush your hair, huh?" BUAhwhaha! No. I didn't. I just got the buildup out. My hair does feel a bit fluffier but that'll even out I'm sure as it gets more mature. It doesn't feel softer, just looks fluffier. So 2 tablespoons per cup is the key.

Preston Consagra
@preston-consagra
13 years ago
6 posts

I'll try that shampoo soon as I get the chance, thanks Eagle.

And thanks Mark for the advice and words. :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Have you ever tried using a misting bottle. If it's too soon between washes, you could take some peppermint oil, teatree oil, and rosemary. mix with some jojoba and water to dilute and spray as needed. It does wonders for the itchies for me.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form