Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help me save my high top dreads

k6mi
@k6mi
5 years ago
3 posts

Hi dreadies. I really need your guys help to save my dreads . 

https://imgur.com/a/kMxpyb8

This is what they look like at the moment. 

I started off freeforming for about 1 year, then they started getting really frizzy and went and had them crochet maintained 3 months ago. 

They are really frizzy all the time now but the biggest problem is really weak roots. The roots are actually really broken and undreading/unraveling.

The fact that I work in construxtjon, a pretty dusty enviroment, probably doesnt do me any favours either. Although I try to protect my dreads as much as possible.

i also use aloe vera gel daily for moisturizing. 

How could I make the roots tighter and make them look more “ neat” overall.  Don’t really want to spend the money on maintenance every 2 months ...

Thanks! 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

crocheyt was a massive mistake that severely damaged them. thats what it does, breaks thousands of hairs

now if the roots were weakened too then they may have also interlocked.

DON'T DO A THING

just stop doing what you were doing  MAINTENANCE EVERY 2 MONTHS IS A SCAM, AND SEVERELY DAMAGING

dreads need no maintenance other then washing often and sepaating.  now what you need is to RECOVER from the maintenance that did the harm

because it was crochet you can have 100 times more loose hair and frizz now ..all the broken hairs start to pp out

what are you washing with and how often also overuse of aloe will increase frizz and loosen them  even prevent dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

ps THIS IS IMPORTANT

DO NOT MAKE THE ROOTS TIGHTER!!   force tightened roots has caused an epidemic of traction alopecia a  form of balding cased by traction aka tension aka tightness it causes lost dreads and hair loss between dreads weakened thinning rots etc

the roots should never be any tighter then the want to be naturally

--
k6mi
@k6mi
5 years ago
3 posts
Thanks for your response

Yeah, they did interlock my roots aswell, it was my own stupid mistake though, because I asked for really tight “spiky” dreads. That was all before I discovered this site and found out that crocheting is actually really really bad.

I just wash them with water, don’t use any shampoo at all. Wash them maybe 1x week.
Yeah I probably should cut back on the aloe , been using it daily or sometimes even 2x a day - in the morning and then after work because that’s when they look ugliest .

I was wondering if could cut some length off of them ? I’d actually prefer a bit shorter dreads but I’m worried that if I cut them at this stage they may start unraveling.
k6mi
@k6mi
5 years ago
3 posts
At this point, would it be a better idea to just start over or do you think they will be able to recover ? It took me almost a total of 2 years to get to this point, would be sad start over.

Btw I only had them crocheted once, not every 2 months. That one time was a year in when the locks were already there
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

sorry for 3 replies but just saw you had 2 pics your dreads are not bad all things considered

though you can clearly see the crochet stiffness and damage, it could have been alot worse.

what i would suggest

1 cry over the mistake you made

2 forgive yourself

3 wash at least 2  or 3 timess a week with a dread shampoo (a good 1 the 1 recommeneded heres the best)

4 continue to use aloe or jojoba or argon or something to loosen them up till the stiffnes and tighteness is reduced. they will be extra fuzzy.you broke a whole lot of hairs

5 once they are looser and no longer stiff stop the conditionig keep washing with the dread shampoo and separate as needed

you won't likely be able to condition away all the tightness and stiffness  so just do it till they ar noticeably softer  and spongy again

crochet will prevent any dreading for 6 months after 1 use and  cause visible stiffness for 3 years..if tight

yours look tight but not excessively so your not that bad..  not even close

just don't make that horrible mistake again..  its dread abuse.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

srry didn't see you replied

yu can totaly recover (and yes you can guess whats been done by the  descriiption of the dmage)

i would not cut them your only at about 6 or 7 inches  wich is pretty much minimum length for most hair typesto even be able to dread.

like i said i'd cry over the mistake then forgive yourself and move on

i would wash.. and wash.. and yes stiop the alowe except to loosen them up

aloe shrinks as it dries so it "neatens them up' sucking in loose hairs as it shrinks but it is very conditioning so it keeps them frizzy and fuzzy longer  it should nly be used  on special ocasions like wedings ..if your using it daily or twice a day your really preventing it from bein able to dread ata all

www.dreadlockshampoo.com  is the best shampoo by far  the liquid will help hem dread faster and tighten up the bars are best when mature,   id get both and use the bar..along with an aloe rinse after washig (only after wshing  for ..i dont know a month or 3  till they are looser then switch to the liquid    fr awhile   then you can switch back and forth based o  desired result.. more drying and tightening.. or more conditioning and softening.

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form