Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I think my dreads are falling apart

Zilas
@zilas
7 years ago
10 posts

I've had these dreads for 3 months now.  Slowly dread by dread each one has stated coming undone.  They create hairs that immensely stick out and make the dreads all wavy.  It's only been getting worse.  Everyone has been telling me that they're looking terrible.  I know I'm not very far into my dread journey so I'm wondering whether this is normal and I should wait it out or if I'm doing something wrong.  My roots are very loose and are matting together but from what I've read that's pretty normal at the beginning.  Any suggestions are appreciated :)

dreads1.jpg
dreads1.jpg  •  768KB

dreads3.JPG.jpg
dreads3.JPG.jpg  •  1.5MB

dreads2.JPG.jpg
dreads2.JPG.jpg  •  1.5MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

the roots need separating and some sections look pretty big, maybe bigger then you might want otherwise its perfectly normal at this stage

but definitely keep on top of separating

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
fundoo
@fundoo
7 years ago
41 posts

I agree with the needing separating/sections too big at the root. I'd also like to say that 3 months is nothing if you ask me for dreads to mature naturally. I swear to you it took me like 6 to 7 months to see my first real dreads knots that stayed. But the process is such that you'll knot up during a period, then they will relax again and this will repeat for a long while, but the thing is that with each knotting period, you'll get more and more knots that stay in. So while they may loosen, the next knotting period you should get more knots. Make sense? btw, I'm a stubborn case. Most folks dread up quicker than I did, but some rare folks have claimed to have taken even longer. Just be patient and embrace your own personal journey. 

Zilas
@zilas
6 years ago
10 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

the roots need separating and some sections look pretty big, maybe bigger then you might want otherwise its perfectly normal at this stage

but definitely keep on top of separating

By sections looking big, do you mean that there is too much hair in a section?  I'll try to spend more time separating them, I tend to be really lazy when it comes to my hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

too much from too wide an area. unless you want them to form big fat out of control; dreads

--
Zilas
@zilas
6 years ago
10 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

too much from too wide an area. unless you want them to form big fat out of control; dreads

You can't change that though.  Unless I restart and resection, right?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well

you can comb out any that are absolutely too big

or just separate so that none get any bigger then they are now

technically you can split them and many have..but evrery hairs zigg zagging through the dread chaotically so splittiong litteraly breaks every single hairs hundreds or thousands of times and might result in unevemn  splits with 1 dread having thick base thin tip and the other thin  base thick tip

if youir going to correct an already too big dread best options start that 1 over

i see 2 that potentially might need that, but then again as long as you separate the roots thosde 2 wont become 1 dread the thickness of youir thigh (a possibility with how it appears to be progressing if not separated regularly)

--
Zilas
@zilas
6 years ago
10 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

well

you can comb out any that are absolutely too big

or just separate so that none get any bigger then they are now

technically you can split them and many have..but evrery hairs zigg zagging through the dread chaotically so splittiong litteraly breaks every single hairs hundreds or thousands of times and might result in unevemn  splits with 1 dread having thick base thin tip and the other thin  base thick tip

if youir going to correct an already too big dread best options start that 1 over

i see 2 that potentially might need that, but then again as long as you separate the roots thosde 2 wont become 1 dread the thickness of youir thigh (a possibility with how it appears to be progressing if not separated regularly)

So basically if I continue separating I should be fine and if I feel that some are getting too big then I can restart.  I see what you mean tho and I'll try my best to keep on separating.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

and you will only have to restart the onesthat are too big ..but you can judge the mature size buy about the section sizes at the scalp

so those 2 biggest onescould easily be 6 dreads each and still be relatively thick..4 at least

though why don't you thouroughly separate and post anpother pic of the back, its really just 2 i see that are a concern and once separated might not be as worrisome as they look

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form