Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing too often due to itchy oily scalp

wnb85
@wnb85
7 years ago
7 posts
Hey I'm new to the forums and have been locking for 6 to 7 months now. My hair seems to be coming along fine except that my scalp has been giving me problems the whole time. I started towel rubbing for the first 2 weeks when my hair was really short and it sectioned off nicely right away. Once it grew into a mini fro I had to wash every other day to keep from scratching it out. I feel like my hair would grow and lock faster if I could go longer without washing but I can't go more than 2 days before the itching gets out of control. I use acv once a week and I shampoo with a tea tree and peppermint shampoo I got from trader joes. Every time I wash I try to be as thorough as possible but when I come out the shower I still feel oily spots on my head. Has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution? I'm trying not to lose my patience cause I really want my locs to grow long and mature. I took pics of my hair coming out of the shower
20170511_084252-1.jpg
20170511_084252-1.jpg  •  245KB

20170511_084114.jpg
20170511_084114.jpg  •  873KB

updated by @wnb85: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

try the bars from dreadlockshampoo.com  don't know which shampoo you mean if its teatree tingle it shouldn't cause issues but if bronners and hard water that is the issue your facing

also no longer recommend acv

heres no reason not to wash every 2 days (and being African American i am happy to see you doing that since locticians convince most that washing every 2 months is overwashing!) though the itchiness might be from using hot water which can dry the scalp and skin badly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
wnb85
@wnb85
7 years ago
7 posts
Thanks for the advice. Yea its the tea tree tingle shampoo I use. If I scratch my scalp (which I avoid doing) I get a little buildup under my nails so I will just continue washing like I do. I heard alot of people say acv would help my scalp but its really not doing that for me. I like the way my hair looks after rinsing with acv though. If u say washing every 2 days is ok then ill stick with that. I think I'm on the right track its just that alot of people say they go a week or 2 without washing but I can't do that. Just gotta do what works for me
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

adelle wellington (who wrote the book on natural dreads) washes hers daily (and uses no oils)

i would maybe try the dreadlockshampoo.com teatree rosemary bars next  they really solve even bad scalp problems

and like i said avoid hot water

--
wnb85
@wnb85
7 years ago
7 posts
That's good to know. I'm gonna order some tomorrow and try it. Thanks
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

let us know how it goes

--
JT
@j-welsh
7 years ago
42 posts

I had the same issue for the longest time with my scalp. ve my scalp out with my fingernails. i could not go more than 2 days without wanting to carI have been on the journey for 3 years now and have tried a lot of different combos in that time just because of my scalp. I tried that same trader joes shampoo and although it could be an ok option it was not the answer for me. I have just recently switched back to the dreadlockshampoo.com shampoo. I have washed about 3 weeks with it now. Last week i went a week between washes. this week i washed sunday and i haven't washed yet. i need to because my scalp is itchy but it just started today. i mainly try to go from weekend to weekend  because i have to get up so early to wash on a week day and dry them before work because i wear them back and don't want to wear them back wet. i am using the cedar and sage bar right now. i have the goddess liquid too but i can't go as long between washes with it. i use that when i want to tighten up the loose hairs and it smells awesome. if it wasn't for wearing them up at work, i would wash them twice a week. order that shampoo tomorrow and good luck. i think you'll be happier

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

so its really helped your scalp issues too i find they all do even the ones not specifically made to treat scalp issues

--
JT
@j-welsh
7 years ago
42 posts

sorry for the first few sentences, not sure what happened. think i was trying to type to fast and didn't proof read. i think i was trying to say it would get so bad i would want to carve my scalp out with my fingernails. but yes it has really helped.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

only thing that's helped me this much

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form