Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

White sticky stuff inside dreadlocks :S

Jane DOe3
@jane-doe3
10 years ago
2 posts

So I've noticed that my dreads are full of white stuff on the inside that kind of looks like link but there is really a lot stuck in them so I'm worried it might be mold (It's not very noticeable from the outside). It doesn't smell too much ut the tip of my dreads stay a little bit slimy or greasy couple days after washing them.

I've brushed out one of the skinny tips and took pictures of what I saw. (I think this could also be residue because I used normal shampoo for a while as well as a little bit of dreadlock butta)

Can anyone just tell me if this looks like mold/mildew? I'm very worried and don't want to cut or brush them out. Thank you.

PS: I'm not really sure but they are around 8-10 months T&R

updated by @jane-doe3: 01/13/15 10:05:52PM
Sarahface
@sarah16
10 years ago
108 posts

If it was mold or mildew you would definitely be able to smell it. I would guess that it's most likely residue. Maybe try doing a few bs/acv washes and see if it helps?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

dread butta i think contains wax too why would u ever put that in your dreads

regular shampoo can cause a sticky buildup but that looke thicker like the butta u say it doesnt smell much..when wett does it smell more

u can try the bs/acv but u might need a clarifying or anti residue shampoo they arent safe for every day use just for removing residue then use a dread shampoo (not from the buttahheads at dhhq)

slight chance u might want tio try wax b gone but it shouldnt be necessary

if it does smell musty at all while damp the rot knot will take care of that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jane DOe3
@jane-doe3
10 years ago
2 posts

Ok, thanks for the tips ! I have done two BS/ACV washes already and that hasn't gotten rid of the problem. I'll try some clarifying shampoo as well as a white vinegar rinse just in case and I'll post again if anything changes. The problem is I DON'T KNOW what mold smells like. There is a slight smell on my dreads but I just associated that with the baking soda

taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

The mildew soured smell of damp towels that have been left sitting for a week or so...that is what mold smells like, It stinks. I enlarged your photos. All I see is lint and a few split ends. I have never seen the butter stuff but I can guess that it is what has caused the sticky feel. Dreads attract lint. If your dreads are sticky then obviously it will attract a lot more lint than normal. I pick some of my lint out with my finger nails or tweezers but over the years I have just gotten used to knowing there will always be some in there somewhere. I have noticed that I get a whole lot less lint now than I did in the beginning.

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts

I have the same issue with my hair. My hair feels kinda sticky and there are some different kind of knots that form from it and I have the linty stuff in the center. It isn't mold or mildew and there is no odor. I only use Vicki's shampoo bars and shampoo 2-3 times a week. I have noticed though that the Patchouli scented bar has a tendency to make it stickier than the others I have tried. I have been using clarifying shampoo every month or two and unfortunately it doesn't get it all out. I don't use any oils, do have hard water, and no products have ever been used. If somebody has any idea of what to try I'm up for some advice too. Thanks!!

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
10 years ago
170 posts

Yeah.. This is also similar to what I am experiencing, that I posted about, about a month or so ago..

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form