Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loc Disaster! Gross sticky stuff inside my dreads

mea
@mea
10 years ago
23 posts

I've had my dreads for about 4 years now, and this started about a year ago. Whiteis-greyish sticky GROSS stuff in the inside of my dreads- not visible to others, but I notice it and I can fell that they've lost their soft touch aswell. I took a few pics to show, I started to undread a few of them so you can see the yuckiness. Btw since I've had this they also stink after I was them when they're still wet (when they're dry they're fine).You'd think it's wax, but I never used that.... I really don't know ,I've tried baking soda wash and natural vitamin shampoo etc but nothing helps! :( Sometimes I get so annoyed with it i just start undreading them and manicly trying to pick the stuff out,,,, I hope someone can help me, otherwise I might have to say goodbye to them which I'd hate to do ... :(

updated by @mea: 02/14/15 09:53:23AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ok lets approach this by diagnosing, and working on a solution

diagnosis: was bronners used? do u have hard water? u said "natural shasmpoo": was it made for dreads?

ok solution (s)

minimum a clarifying shampoo nutragena anti residue or suave clarifying (once only)

extra help rot knot from dreadlockshampoo for the stunkiness..possubly wax b gone tho i dow=ubt i need that im sure this is from bronners and hard water

oh had u used any heavy conditioners leave in conditioners oils (not essential oils) coco butter coconit oil shae butter gels ..

tell us everything and anything that u put in them

from day 1

rubber bands?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts

I haven't had issues like this but did have a sticky build up in my dreads for a little while. They never had any sort of odor but were sticky like they were soaked in soda. I used Dawn dish soap and that worked really well to strip it out and I have found Pantene Clarifying Shampoo too that I'll use on occasion (like 1 time every couple of months). The dish soap left my hair super frizzy and stripped feeling and the shampoo leaves my hair feeling clean but not in a harsh way. I'm not sure if yours is mold, mine wasn't. I had a build up from a dread shampoo and hard water. I thought I should throw that in there just in case you need something else. Good Luck! I hope you are able to get it out....keep us updated.

DRS
@drs
10 years ago
47 posts

I have had this problem. Did it look kinda like yogurt? I just assumed it was the wax I was using.

mea
@mea
10 years ago
23 posts

I don't know about our water, but I think it's pretty clean - i'll find that out . Shampoos I've used.... well, since this started, I used Aussie once, Johnsons neutral shampoo, and some herbal shampoo , none of these were made for dreads. It looks exactly like wax but I never even got near to that stuff. Oh , and also I've been in the sea a few times when we were near it. Yes , I used coconut butter once or twice, but I think (now , I'm not sure here...) that I had this before I first tried that. And in the 4 years, I used baking soda wash about 6 times at the most.

thank you <3

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ok clarifying shampoo to remove it www.dreadlockshampoo.com from now on no more regular shampoos

this is why you want a non residue shampoo

what ya got there is 4 years worth of shampoo residues

--
Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
10 years ago
53 posts
Did you resolve this? I have the same problem and I have never used wax either. I would try the clarifying shampoos but neither are stocked in the UK so it's going to cost a lot to ship from the US.What about the smell? Mine smell too but I don't think it's mould because it's not that strong, it smells like musty old furniture :( I tried a really hot BS & ACV wash with lots of tea tree & lavender oil & dried them fast with a hair dryer as it's cold here & we don't have much sun. The smell was gone for about 2 days but then came back. I train a lot so I'm wondering how much is sweat? How gross.I have the same white crap inside mine too, I think it's a build up of BS and residue from occasions when I've been forced to wash with commercial shampoo, plus I use jojoba oil on my flaky scalp so that's probably in there too.It's so disgusting I might have to cut mine off and start again :( but I'll pay to ship the shampoo before I do, it's worth a try.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

theres most liikely other clarifyinmg or anti residue shamooos in uk had u used bronners or any other castile soaps

u might want rot knot from www.dreadlockshampoo.com as well as the shampoos from there

--
Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
10 years ago
53 posts
I cut off a couple of my dreads and dissected them, inside I found gross stuff :(There was some residue, but also dirt, which I don't understand because I've been so careful to keep them clean. The outer hair is very clean but deep inside its horrible.Is there anything that I can use that will get it out? I've seen people talk about orange oil, listerine, white vinegar and even washing powder for clothes that is intended for ground in dirt and mud. I've also heard people say they use clay masks which draws the nasty stuff out. Any ideas? Please help!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the3 www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps have a microfine clay that removes it

your bound to find lint though

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus