Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Several dready issues!! Help!

Shellina Hill
@shellina-hill
11 years ago
2 posts

So, my dreads are 6 months old and I'm having a few problems. They are definitely a test to my patience. First, the whole bottom back row of my dreads have really thin roots. There is like a 3 inch length of hair at the base that IS dreaded, but its sooo thin. Could it be because I always wear an elastic head band and that constantly rubs it?

My other issue is I have TONS of loose hair. Like enough to make a new dread, but thats not happening either. Its just silky straight hair. I am super against using a crochet hook. So, should I pay to have maintenance or will these escapees be sucked back in?

Heres a pic of the super skinny base. Keep in mind this is ALL of the back/bottom row.

updated by @shellina-hill: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop wearing the headband if its constricting it could do that

leave the loosies alone they absolutely will dread on their own..when they are ready to

i had abunch on the nape of my neck that didnt seem to want to dread

then all of a sufdden in a single day they all dreaded and got 3 or 4 brand new dreads all at once

stopping the headband will help if they are really in danger let them congo

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shellina Hill
@shellina-hill
11 years ago
2 posts

Thank you SE!!! As always, your expertise sets one at ease. :)

soaring eagle said:

stop wearing the headband if its constricting it could do that

leave the loosies alone they absolutely will dread on their own..when they are ready to

i had abunch on the nape of my neck that didnt seem to want to dread

then all of a sufdden in a single day they all dreaded and got 3 or 4 brand new dreads all at once

stopping the headband will help if they are really in danger let them congo

Muruga Das
@muruga-das
11 years ago
6 posts
My Experience in this 3 month journey is that thin dreads will often lock with other locks forming bigger ones. I initially wanted thin ones but now I embrace the process of change. My front left lock is actually 3 combined. I say let it be. If you can not use the headband I agree don't use it. For work I have to have it in a pony tail to look "professional" so far no issues for me
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

You can wear a headband, just don't wear one that's constricting or is made with elastic. I wear a cloth head band, that also doubles as a hair tie, to work. You can also make head bands / hair ties out of old T-shirt parts. :D As for the loose hairs I really recommend the Lockin' Up Liquid soap from Vicki @ Dreadlocksshamoo.com . Peace and happy dreading :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form