Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Positive Reactions?

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
12 years ago
46 posts

I went snowboarding yesterday, and even though i was wearing a hat and gear, my locks were hanging out, someone from the chairlift above screamed "i like your dreads", I've never had a compliment off a chairlift before :)

updated by @marcellus-wallace: 07/23/15 07:08:53PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

mine are coming along slowly so there wasn't much to see for the longest time, but just having my hair down & going free I had compliments from strangers. I had a lady in the mall tell me she loved my hair, a volleyball teammate/neighbor/husbands coworker said she liked it, & another volleyball teammate/husbands coworker gave me a lovely compliment as well.

Things have just started getting nice & messy & noticeably knotted now & I've still had positive reactions a clerk at Kohls said she really liked my hairstyle (or lack of one? lol), a coworker of my husbands said she LOVED my hair & wishes she could do the same, & the first person to notice I was dreading was a A&W drivethru lady & she asked me how long & how I did it & said she thought it looked awewsome.

The only negative reactions I had early on was from my mother saying I should brush the back of my hair before I went out & then I explained what I was doing, the next time I saw her (more recently so slightly more formed) she again told me to brush & offered to pay for a perm or hair cut, anything but what I'm doing hah. I think I've had looks from strangers, but no one has said anything bad to me.

I'm sure since they are still young looking I have time before I get my first negative remark from a stranger, but I love the positive feedback I've gotten.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
I've had 3 negative-ish experiences. On Thanksgivig last year (dreadies were about 2 mos old and first time I had them down) my mom told me she hated my dreads when I walked thru the door. I can't remember exactly what I said but it was along the lines of 'that's ok, I love them' and that was it. A former co-worker (and an amazing bitch, we never got along at all) said to someone else 'what's up with her hair, does she things she's dreading her hair?' To which I replied (to the person who told me this) 'I don't 'think' I'm dreading my hair, I KNOW I am!). Then another former co-worker asked 'are you trying to dread your hair? I have a friend who's had dreads for like 5 years, I can give her your number so she can help you out' to which I replied 'no thanks I know what I'm doing'.Other thank those 3 instances (that I know of) everything has been positive. Rather few and far between, but positive.
krock
@krock
12 years ago
20 posts

people don't give you as much crap once they get to be mature, but you'll always get some shit from people who don't know any better

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

my dreads are pretty wild at 5 months. but i can honestly say i haven't gotten any negative comments from strangers.

The other day I was driving home and had to pay a toll, and the woman at the toll booth said "i have to say i am in love with your hair!"

I've had people ask if they can touch them because they've never touched dreads before. I've had people ask how you're supposed to wash them. I've had people randomly tell me they look cool or that they want to dread too.

a friend of ours, the first time i met him, was rolling. he kept saying how badass he thought my dreads are.

the only negative comment i have gotten is from my mom when she says that she misses my curls. but she doesn't dislike my dreads, i guess it's just a big change. oh and when my uncle said "so you don't wash your hair?" which i corrected him lol.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form