Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Solace of the Solitary

Ashley Marz
@ashley-marz
12 years ago
7 posts

(Im not going to really touch on the debating above because I personally believe there is no need to really debate over and over again what others feel/believe/experience, it's hard to change the truth thats in someone's heart. It's nice to debate but once it gets to a point of your wrong, i find it BS..No one is all mighty that you can say you know all and that what other's know is rubbish). I find my dreads to allow me to connect to my heart to who I am, that is a spiritual connection. Ill go to the most basic place for the definition of spirituality Wiki "an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being"... I started dreading because I find it to be beautiful. I am so sick of others defining what beauty should be from our weight, to our hair, to clothes we wear. Im heartbroken that my 13 year old cousin is so worried what others think that it blocks her from truly loving herself, truly seeing that loving yourself is beauty. I find strength in my dreads..When my own family member tells me "I don't like your dreads you were prettier before" and I tell her "I FEEL beautiful and I am not doing this because I care what others think or because I want others to think I am beautiful, I am doing this because I am confident in who I am and my dreads are an express of the love I have for myself". My dreads teach me patience every day when I am frustrated with separating them. Through dreading I have realized how quick others are to judge..And through that judgment I learned to love others unconditionally with no expectations of anything in return..Because that allows love to be pure. With my dreads I have learned the true path I want to take with my life.. that is a spiritual connection. I have learned I want to help others. I want to help build confidence in the youth..Teach them what love really is. Yes someone can look at me and say that are just dreads..But the inner path they have taken me on to find my true being is certainly spiritual. They have allowed me to connect to love..And love is my religion. So I believe yes its just hair but the inner path it takes you on when we grow up in a society that so wrapped up in materialistic BS well that path can be a spiritual one.

updated by @ashley-marz: 07/22/15 11:57:36AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Beautifully said Ashley. And thank you for moving the topic in another direction. There is no changing the minds of those who do not want to see. I am guilty of letting this debate go around and around.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its not rubbish cause u say its rubbish its truth look it up

its in the blogs as a featured blog but that was copied from other sites its a fact

Adam Kelly said:

Baba- It may depend on the bible your reading, Im not qualified enough in these matters to argue that. All I know is that upon searching homosexuality in the bible that is what came up, thus nullifying the assertion that there is no reference to homosexuality whatsoever. It is in a version of the bible at least, and Im assuming that it was in it for a reason; that is what they believed and likely in other versions, too. But that is getting away from the point really.

The idea that people are not bad due to their genetic code is not strictly true. For example, people with Anti-social Personality Disorder (ASPD) have, for lack of a better phrase, a bad brain. This genetically inherited condition is exasperated by an unstructured upbringing. People with ASPD are extremely difficult to rehabilitate. There is a considerable amount of evidence to suggest that genes play a massive role in our personalities and our behaviour. Even the idea of free will is contested. In an experiment, people were asked to press a button whenever they feel like like doing so. Neuroimaging showed that there was a considerable amount of time that their neurons were preparing to fire, i.e. their brain was preparing to press the button before they were consciously aware of the wish to do so.

Why was eastern medicine used for thousands of years? It is because they had no better methods of curing disease. I mean, we use chemotherapy today, which is an extremely messy way of reducing cancerous cells. It attacks all the cells in the body, but it is one of the more effective and relaible methods that we have. Undoubtedly, we will disregard the method as soon as we are able to do so. As you say, science is not perfect. It is continuously building on previous knowledge and being sceptical of everything, but this is better than believing something with no evidence whatsoever.

The idea that something came from a religion is also false. Religion came from people, so, by extension, the ideas also came from the people. Clearly, the people of the time were living in a world they were not happy with, and so ideas of this nature are bound to spring forward in the society.

Of course there is something bigger than us. We are part of a spring of life on earth. When we look out into the universe it spreads further than we can even know. 100 billion stars in our own galaxy and 100 billion galaxies that we know of. Even the molecular level confounds us. We have trouble perceiving the big and the small. But does it feel mystical? Not really. It just happens to be there for us to understand. It is amazing, confusing and much bigger than any individual person, but it all comes from the natural, universal laws in our universe. In theory, it is all understandable and scientific progress is driving us ever forward in our knowledge. It is important to realise that science is only about 250 years old, and look how far we have come as a result. Religion, superstition and spirituality are just a stepping stones in the evolution of science. The served a purpose, but that purpose has long since passed.

Using pseudo-scientific explanations to explain why you put stones on your skin is quite redundant. Why not use a piece of glass, an old tooth, a wooden spoon or an mp3 player , since they also have molecular vibrations? Just because a piece of quartz looks pretty doesnt mean it will heal your body. Animal bodies have evolved to do a good job of that all by their selves.

One part your last paragraph really hits on my initial point of the bandwagon (The majority of people dont see it). There is a considerable amount of people on the site citing spirituality associated with dreads. It is my contention that the allure of the band wagon is all to enticing when trying to fit into a social group.

Soaring Eagle- You are wrong. This is my second set of dreads. I had completely natural, freeform dreads for about 5 years. No separation, no dandruff treatment, no washing with anything but water. They took patience, suffering through itch (which you must ignore or the itch gets unbearable. If you begin to scratch you will scratch until you bleed, in my experience), adjusting to social stigma and everything else that goes along with it. But, I never had any spiritual experiences. Not one. Its just hair!

Look, I respect you as a person. You have set up this amazing site, helping thousands of people from making mistakes with their dreads (I am included in this group). This fact makes it harder to say this, but that story about the Native Americans is clearly complete rubbish. I dont know where you heard it, but it is not true. Hair is made from the same stuff as nails. Its the same as suggesting that long nails connect you to the dead. There is NO scientific basis to the story whatsoever. By all means, show me where you found it, but I will always be sceptical. Its just in my nature. Unless there is concrete evidence for something, I cannot bring myself to believe.

Hair may contain a chemical record, but you also have a neurochemical record of your life, i.e. your memories. Its not as if you can even remember the events by looking at your hair. And, what difference would locked hair have? Its just tangled strands of keratin

Im going to leave this here. I always enjoy a good conversation and debate (I certainly wouldnt consider it an argument). Sharing ideas is important, even if we dont take the ideas on board, and I enjoyed the discussion.

Take it easy guys.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ashley Marz
@ashley-marz
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks.And I was about to jump right in there and start debating with facts and what not..You should have seen the first post I had written, but I thought I would just speak thepersonallove that I have found with them.To some its just hair andthat's awesome but some have more to learn through out this journey and with knowledgeand experiences it can change your true being which can be extremely spiritual. You don't need to see god(s) or feel god(s)for something tobe spiritual. Spirituality can honestly have nothing to do with a religion. Thank for the kind words again!MuchLoveBaba!!

Baba Fats said:

Beautifully said Ashley. And thank you for moving the topic in another direction. There is no changing the minds of those who do not want to see. I am guilty of letting this debate go around and around.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Ashley, I really wish you could issue some "facts". I'm all about the evidence, but I can respect that you do not want to get into a debate. I'm finished talking about this matter anyway.Baba was right when he said there is no changing the minds of those who do not want to see. It works equally well both ways.

SE, I looked up the story and, by all means, it appears to be a rumour. There are no proper sites that mention it. By proper sites, I mean ones that dont have stories of bigfoot etc. Evolution is a fact, gravity is a fact, that living things die is a fact, but long hair giving you special powers is pure fabrication. There is no basis for the belief in reality. Very vague reports on unreliable sites do not warrant belief.

B-Bomb, with all respect, I feel that they do accept that some people just dont believe. I accept that they do believe in this, but Im just voicing my views. There is no argument, only debate.

As I said previously, spirituality surely has metaphysical connotations (wikipedia isnt the most reliable source of information). The notion is extremely subjective. If only there was some objective way to measure it, I might believe.

In the words of Thom Yorke Just cause you feel it, doesnt mean its there.

Thats all folks! Take care.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly i feel more spiritual amongst rocks and trees then in churches actualy i feel uncomfortable in churches..and feel sorry for the alterboys

but out in the woods..high in the mountains closer to the stars and moon i feel everythings alive and connected

Mitakuye Oyasin

Ashley Marz said:

Thanks.And I was about to jump right in there and start debating with facts and what not..You should have seen the first post I had written, but I thought I would just speak thepersonallove that I have found with them.To some its just hair andthat's awesome but some have more to learn through out this journey and with knowledgeand experiences it can change your true being which can be extremely spiritual. You don't need to see god(s) or feel god(s)for something tobe spiritual. Spirituality can honestly have nothing to do with a religion. Thank for the kind words again!MuchLoveBaba!!

Baba Fats said:

--
Sister Rags
@sister-rags
12 years ago
21 posts

Adam, I sense a lot of anxiety and fear in your belief system. I wonder about the intense need to place such limitations upon yourself. You certainly don;t need to respond to my musings; they are, after all, just thoughts that are in my mind.

Whoever wrote about the bible - shortly put, I've spent a number of decades studying biblical history, including living in Israel for some time to further my studies. The bible is a wonderful account of history, that's for sure. Everything else about it is up to interpretation due to translation being done in so many languages throughout time, and also because of alterations made by the Catholic church in the 10th century (stuff added in, stuff taken out). And when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty, no one knows anything about God's existence, what that means, doesn't mean, etc.

Last, regarding Native Americans in VietNam - my husband of 31 years is a Viet vet, my bil is, too, and I've spent all of my adult life around Viet vets. It is entirely true that oftentimes Native Americans were placed on point when the guys were humping the boonies.

Sweet,
@sweet
12 years ago
133 posts

No - its a way of life ;)

Adam Kelly said:

I still don't understand what is so "spiritual". Hair dreads when not brushed.. That is it. It's a natural thing. Why should it have such an impact? Sure, you will have a different public experience. People willautomatically judge you and you will get both positive and negative comments.It is the same with any form of hairstyle. Bowl cut, mullet, mowhawk... Whatever style you may choose.

Maybe you all do have profound internal experiences which change your whole outlook on life, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still just a hairstyle.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

rags and they also were allowed to let heir hair grow long despite the military traditions of cutting it short which was shown to dumb down the senses

ever notice how skinheads tend to all think alike like they share 1 common brain cell amongst them all?

(no offence)

in the military your expected to act withot thought obey without thinking about what your doing so dumbing down the senses also makes you more controllable

but for scouting you need to be sharo]p aware and alert to a hightened degree your survivability affects your groups survivability as well so they were allowed to leave the hair long so they were more effectib=ve scouts

--
Sister Rags
@sister-rags
12 years ago
21 posts

Great point, SE!

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form