dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions galore!

Jennifer Mask
@jennifer-mask
12 years ago
1 posts

To all!

So, I know I could "pull of dreads" Im not worried about looks or people being "disgusted". Because in actuality, those people disgust me more with theirprejudicesthan my hair could ever revolt them. I just have a few questions before I make thecommitment.

How long should my hair be before I dread it? (I really dont feel like investing in synthetic dreads)

Should I go professional? My friend is a hair stylist and her boyfriend has dreads, so shes pretty pro all and all, BUT we arent close enough for me to really get a discount and I hear it can be pricey. Should I just do it myself?

I know I have A LOT more questions, but I am spacing right now. Theyll get back. So for now if anyone could answer those first it would be greatly appreciated! I have some pictures I will upload, on to show length (but my hair was bleached at the time), and the other to show what the color of my hair is now.

Thank you! :D
~ Ms. Soon-to-be-dreaded

updated by @jennifer-mask: 01/13/15 09:19:11PM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Your hair is definitely long enough, it needs about 5 inches to be able to dread I think, if not a bit more. As for getting it done professionally, I'd say no. Most people who do them professionally use methods or products that are either harmful or just...unnecessary. It depends on what way you go about it; you can do twist & rip, backcomb them or just stop brushing and let them do it themselves. Either way, the first two methods you can just have a friend help you out with that if you want, so don't bother spending money on it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Welcome, first of all hell no not Do not go pro that the absolute worst mistake ever made they do everything wrong. They do extreme harm using extreme aggressive methods wax which is a big mistake crochet which is also a huge mistake. Basically every single thing they do is wrong. A disaster the ever salon dreads last three weeks or less. And you're right they charge a ridiculous amount. They spend $800 and have to start over.

Your hair should be at least 4 inches. Six if you're going natural which is the best way just stop combing and conditioning and let it dread. Otherwise use Twist and rip and do it yourself very easy. Do not ever go to Pro!!!!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

This page Will answer every question you ever have

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreaducation-comprehensive

After reading that if you still have questions will be happy to answer

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0