Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread locks in different languages.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Finally I have found the french name for dreadlocks. I did not like calling them dreadlocks in french for many reasons but after looking around the net I have found the name: Cadenettes.Originallycadenetteswere braids (one in front of the ear the other in the back on each side of the head) worn by French soldiers in the 1800. They had small wooden rods in the center of the braid and the two braids in the back were joinedtogetherwith a woodensleevesto make a braid tail. It protected the back of the neck and thecheeksfrom the blade ofa sword during combat. Now the name cadenettes is associated with dread locks. I found this info very interesting. I never heard this term used in Quebec but I am going to use it from now on.

On the same topic I would like to know if anyone else has a name for locks in a other language.

updated by @jdwood: 02/14/15 04:40:10AM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

In Spain they call them rastas, but that's the only one I know

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Some call them that too here in Quebec.

Tara C said:

In Spain they call them rastas, but that's the only one I know

princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
12 years ago
56 posts

in Greek they are called Tsives :)

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Sweet! do you know theoriginsof the word?

princenoobsauce said:

in Greek they are called Tsives :)

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

In Serbian it's dredovi (obviously taken from English), and raste (associated with the Rasta movement, again - obviously). In Hungarian it's the same, but different spelling - raszta. :)

ben
@ben
12 years ago
23 posts

I have never heard anybody talking about Cadenettes in France. I think the word disappeared with monarchie and swords. People just say Dreadlocks, or sometimes "tresses" when they wonder what that hairstyle is.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Lol! nice to know but I really don't like to use dreadlocks especially in French. I know in Quebec we use a lot of words that you do not in France and plus in FranceEnglishwords are used a lot more then in Quebec. I also never heard Candenettes before but I think it would be a cool trend to start :) The most popular words in Quebec are dreads, rastas andoccasionally Motton (lumps or clumps) de cheveux (that one I hate lol). So do you want to start a new French trend with me? :)
ben said:

I have never heard anybody talking about Cadenettes in France. I think the word disappeared with monarchie and swords. People just say Dreadlocks, or sometimes "tresses" when they wonder what that hairstyle is.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

In Hindi dreads are often called ja Taa. That is term the followers of Shiva use.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

It's funny that a lot are just variations of the word dreadlocks or an association withRastafarianreligion. Must be because the dread lock "movement" (actually a return to locks) is afairlymodern one.

Rainbow Fortune said:

In Serbian it's dredovi (obviously taken from English), and raste (associated with the Rasta movement, again - obviously). In Hungarian it's the same, but different spelling - raszta. :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form