Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Naturally occurring dreadlocks a concept difficult to grasp

Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

18 months have past so far on my journey and I would like to share the common denominator of all comments: Most people do not understand that dreadlocks form on their own. Not only that but mostpeopleI explained it too could not or would not accept that fact...It seem to "clash" with theirunderstandingof hair care. " No you can't wash them that's why they look like that" "You are going to have all kinds of crap stuck in your hair" "Your hair will always be dirty" "That wont form into dread locks it will just be a big mess" "White people's hair does not dread naturally" "I have a black friend that has 100% natural dreads they grew that way not like yours" and so on...I explained and explained it too them and they just did not want to accept it. This got me asking why? Why is it so difficult for so many to accept? Is it just because of ignoranceof dreadlocks? Or is it something more? If it is just ignorance why did most after explaining still did not understand (or would not accept)?

Myhypotheses is thebasisof this attitude is rooted in the difficulty a lot have with questioning their reality...I know this seems like a long shot and a overkill but Iexperiencethe same kind of attitude when I try explaining other kinds of "non-conventional" ideas. It is something more then just ignorance. Teaching others is not enough to stomp ignorance on dreads IMO. This is something I think most of you are going to face and need to accept if you choose the natural route or you might find it frustrating.

I hope that this did not soundcondescending.

updated by @jdwood: 02/14/15 03:26:32AM
YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

yeah it can be hard to explain to some ppl.

what i usually tell ppl, and they all seem to understand is that dreads are the natural form of all human hair.

if you don't cut or comb your hair you will eventually have dreadlocks....may take months may take years, but eventually it's what will happen.

i don't try to tell anyone anything tho....it's only ppl who persist about questions.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well after 21 years i have undenyable results i dio get alotta questions like

"do you have to redo that everytime you wash"

"how often do you take them out to wash them and how longs it take to put them back in"

"who did them for you"

"isnt thast alot of work"

and so on (these are just the ones i remember from the last few days)

i just look at them confused and ask what do you mean? i jever did a thing just let it happen

if you respond to their confused ignorance with confusu]ion of your own like you dont understand how they arent aware that dreads form naturaly it tendsto disarm them then you also have the proof of how well it works on your head not as easy when your ddreads are young, but when more mature its undenyable

alot of people are brainwashed by locticians and the dreadheadhq way of thinking into believing dreads are comolicated needing a degree in tanglology to accomplish so the concept of them just happening is alien to their thought training..

how can it be so simple yet they have "ologists" trained in 100 techniques to force it to happen

how can it be so simple yet sites sell kits that make it happen

these things clash it makes nno sense that people can charge 800 dollars to dread yoir hair when it will dread itself free

so the fact that some do make a living off dreading ..that must be the only way it happens

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Janice
@janice
13 years ago
49 posts

Interesting. Thanks for the insights. People are either open minded and ready to accept things at the current point in their journey, or they are not yet ready to do so. It is no reflection on anyone else; it is simply where they are at. I don't believe it is my job to educate others, simply to live my life with love. I will do my best when people confront me with their own ignorance to simply respond in love. Even when I want to hit them over the head with a blunt object.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

yeah i do something similar but i always start off the same with a confused look asking them what do you mean? lol it works every time. they either are truly interested and will ask more, or because you may have made them just look dumb because they might not know anything about the topic theyll stop asking abou it.

soaring eagle said:

well after 21 years i have undenyable results i dio get alotta questions like

"do you have to redo that everytime you wash"

"how often do you take them out to wash them and how longs it take to put them back in"

"who did them for you"

"isnt thast alot of work"

and so on (these are just the ones i remember from the last few days)

i just look at them confused and ask what do you mean? i jever did a thing just let it happen

if you respond to their confused ignorance with confusu]ion of your own like you dont understand how they arent aware that dreads form naturaly it tendsto disarm them then you also have the proof of how well it works on your head not as easy when your ddreads are young, but when more mature its undenyable

alot of people are brainwashed by locticians and the dreadheadhq way of thinking into believing dreads are comolicated needing a degree in tanglology to accomplish so the concept of them just happening is alien to their thought training..

how can it be so simple yet they have "ologists" trained in 100 techniques to force it to happen

how can it be so simple yet sites sell kits that make it happen

these things clash it makes nno sense that people can charge 800 dollars to dread yoir hair when it will dread itself free

so the fact that some do make a living off dreading ..that must be the only way it happens

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
13 years ago
90 posts
Idk. I've already faced the cultural brainwashed norms wrapped around birth, infant feeding and mainstream medicine (used to be a RN) so bring on the ones wrapped up around hair! There's a whole industry there just to figure out how to brainwash you into whatever way of thinking that will get you to do what they want you to do. Change takes time and persistence. But mostly time. My favorite quote of Shopenhauers "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." :)
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

Yes that's my point...it's notnecessarilya dread education thing (in most cases) but a fear ofacknowledgingthat we are domesticated and conditioned into accepting ourcommercialized personalities (not 100% but a big piece of it) . It's make me think of the apes and banana test...we repeat the tings others do without really knowing or asking why. Btw I really like what all of you have said so far.

elke.in.alaska said:

Idk. I've already faced the cultural brainwashed norms wrapped around birth, infant feeding and mainstream medicine (used to be a RN) so bring on the ones wrapped up around hair! There's a whole industry there just to figure out how to brainwash you into whatever way of thinking that will get you to do what they want you to do. Change takes time and persistence. But mostly time. My favorite quote of Shopenhauers "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." :)
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
13 years ago
90 posts
I do the confused stare as well lol. Especially over the washing question. I usually respond with a "huh? What do you mean? I wash it just like before. It's just felted hair. You wash it just like laundry only in the shower. lol!". The look in their faces is usually like "huh, never thought of it like that, I guess so."
BKsensiUrWay
@bksensiurway
12 years ago
19 posts

everytime someone with completely commercially maintained hair tries to 'educate' me on dreads i tell them to feel my hair, and then smell it. the first reaction is wow! they're really soft! and then when they smell it, the girls are like......... is that peppermint?.. and teatree...andlavender??? WOW that smells amazing! and from there their minds are so much more open. it's just startling to think that they know so little so as to assume that just because it's natural, it's dirty or actually had someone call them "grody" before. hahahah

Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
12 years ago
21 posts

Yeah i let a guy id only just met smell my hair because he wanted to know if they smelt and he was confused because i didn't use 'normal' shampoo and he was genuinely surprised they didn't stink. Though i get a little joy out of peoples confusion andcriticizing:D it's my hair at the end of the day, i grew it so i'll do what i please :)

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form