Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

i'm not a hippy

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I agree with almost all of what you're saying including eminen. Except there are other great rappers out there. but Ron Paul? Really? He's an idiot. Taxes are what keep society running. He wan'ts to privatize everything. Simply put, that's not economically viable. Ok, I don't want to get political. I have strong views on my side, as does everyone else.

Good luck with living off the land. I'd love to do that one day, but I grew up in a city, and still live there. I like being close to everything and knowing that there are 3 of the top hospitals within a 10 minute drive from my house in case I need one.

I am a hippie, but I don't do any drugs, so I know what you're saying from a different angle. I always get people asking me where the weed's at. Do I look like a pot head? lol. really though. Everyone always assumes that if you have locks then you must smoke weed and always think you are high. I just laugh it off.

As for yuppies, there's almost no one worse. at least conservatives admit it and aren'tafraidto show it. I can't stand them, but at least they are honest. Yuppies try to put on this act like they are more liberal by shopping at whole foods and buying hybrids. I'm glad they do both, mind you, but don't try to pass yourself off as a hippie. You're not.

I agree that in many cases, bums are above yuppies in my book. They are more honest with themselves

updated by @baba-fats: 07/13/15 03:48:37AM
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

I know how you feel. I get labeled a "hippie" (here they called them a "granola") a lot I don't really care any more but it is not who I am...well I think lol. I also like guns (and otherweapons) and hunting and living off the land being off grid. I think we are freedom lovers and that is what we have in common with "hippies". We rather fend for ourselves then be fed and cared for likecattle.

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
13 years ago
90 posts
Don't you guys feel exhausted thinking so hard about what others think or don't think? Maybe I'm just getting old :P But I just don't give (too much of) a crap anymore. I just want to get through this life living as true as I can to my convictions, attempt to avoid assumptions and if I make them to try and assume the best. Not so much for their benefit as for my own. I don't live in the sticks of Alaska, and I don't live here because I hate people but because I love the people here. More often than not I meet people that live here for the same reasons as I do. It's easy to be close to nature even if you're not an outdoorsy kind of person. I'm "in the city" but not of the city. And no one here cares either way. :). You can dress how you like and it doesn't say much about who or how you are. The guy sitting next to you in a worn out hat, flannels, carharts and xtratuffs might be a surgeon or mechanic, pilot, stay at home dad or lawyer. You won't know by just looking. And around here we usually ask and are genuinely interested in your story.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I love people. That's why I couldn't move to the sticks. I even love the annoying ones. Who crae's what they think about you. I only think it's funny that they always think I do drugs. I just turn to them and say "do I look like a pot head?" and laugh, cause I know I do.

Who really cares what someone thinks of you. Obviously we are all going to draw looks. We have an unusual hair style. It comes with the territory.

I hear you elke. I'm in the city but not of the city too. I love Pa, for that reason. I can be happy knowing that everything I need is close by (good food, and the best hospitals in the country), but an hour in any direction and I am in the middle of nowhere. There's plenty of woods and nature all over the place.

Oh, and Granola isn't exactly another term for hippie. Hippies are hippies. Granola hippies are your classic dirty hippie. Girls who don't shave their pits or legs are granola. I guues that goes for guys too (if they don't shave their beards)? who knows. Granola really just means dirty hippies

At least that's how it is around here and at all of the fests I've been too

YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

i agree w/ what you guys say about not caring what ppl think, and like i even said in the first post....i really don't care, never have.

i'm just trying to understand how soooo many ppl can have the same assumptions....you guys have even confirmed that. (i don't assume that every dude w/ a shaved head is a skinhead)

...also alot of the context in those posts above are comments from other ppl in the same thread on the "growing forums"...not my thoughts. (i just wanted to throw some perspectives in there from another place).

...as for moving back to the sticks...well it's the only place i've ever felt really comfortable. i don't dislike ppl, i just don't do good being around lots of ppl all the time....i really need solitude. it'll prolly be a while tho, we have a 15 month old and cant bounce quite yet...a cpl years tho for sure.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

you're lucky you've got someone else who loves the idea of solitude. I love it, but my girlfriend doesn't. She doesn't like the idea of a town where everyone knows everyone else's business. That stems from growing upin a place like that. So, we go hiking all the time in the warmer months, and I try to find my own solitude around my house. I even set up a specific room for me to meditate in

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

i hate shaving my legs and my armpits and everything else, i hate tweezing my eyebrows and brushing my hair... i hope i'm not a granola, or a "wook" as my friends would say. i still take showers mostly every day. =)

but i think there's a little wookie in all of us ;D even yuppies

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. I'm a wook. I avoid showers like the plague. Maybe... maybe twice a week. I don't really need them though. In the summer I'll shower more, but that's cause I'm much more active.

If you groom like that, you're not really a granola. People just assume dreadies are because they think locks are dirty, so they just automatically assume you are too.

That's just me, though. I am kind of attached the E. coli on my hands. Yes, we all have it on us, don't freak out. You'd get really sick more often if you didn't. I'm a firm believer that if I stay relatively dirty all the time, I'll gain moreimmunityto bacteria and virus's

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
13 years ago
95 posts

Yeah, got you Baba! There's def a wook in all of us :-))

When i grow up at my parents house, My mom and dad were used to take a bath once a week

including washing their hair at that time. The other days the just did "catwash". I thought these

were habits from the stoneage and showered every day icluding hairwash.

Now i think they were damn right and society is used to do lots of things way way too often!

We try to hide our own pure smell cause we think its nasty, but isn't at all!

Baba Fats said:

lol. I'm a wook. I avoid showers like the plague. Maybe... maybe twice a week. I don't really need them though. In the summer I'll shower more, but that's cause I'm much more active.

If you groom like that, you're not really a granola. People just assume dreadies are because they think locks are dirty, so they just automatically assume you are too.

That's just me, though. I am kind of attached the E. coli on my hands. Yes, we all have it on us, don't freak out. You'd get really sick more often if you didn't. I'm a firm believer that if I stay relatively dirty all the time, I'll gain moreimmunityto bacteria and virus's

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

exactly/ there is a point that our pure smell is nasty, but you know when that is. If you pay enough attention to yourself (not in aconceded way, but a self aware way), you will be able to tell when it's time. For some people it's sooner, others later. Just learn to shower right before then. You don't want to walk around offending people.

A little off topic, but on the topic of offense: I used to work at a whole foods, and my boss would refuse to hire people with strange coloured hair or locks because he thought that was offensive. I only got the job with mine because I wastransferringfrom another store. There were three girls with dyed hair there. He made one of them dye it back to a normal colour, and the other two he demanded that they either cover all of their hair under a tam or scarf, or dye it back, He would have fired them if they didn't.

Strange for a whole foods, huh? I worked there for over 4 years. I looked it up at one point and found out that it was listed as one of the worst companies to work for in the country.

Anyone else have issues with this? Anyone else ever work for Whole Foods?

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form