Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

homemade laundry soap recipe

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

since someone asked i decided to put it up here for everyone. there are actually a ton of recipes online for homemade laundry soap but what i've found that works for us and our water is:

1 bar of soap (fels naptha, zote, ivory or any soap really. i prefer fels naptha)

2 cups arm & hammer washing soda (not baking soda)

2 cups borax

1 cup oxi laundry booster ( don't buy oxi clean. you can get no name oxi brands at the dollar store and its the exact sameingredients. i use sun.)

all of these products can be easily purchased at most walmarts or ace hardware stores. they even put them next to each other on the shelf. it will cost around $7 but will make multiple batches and last for months. the only thing you'll have to purchase more often is the soap but it's usually less than a dollar.

in a big bowl, grate the bar soap using a cheese grater with small grate holes. if you freeze the bar first it makes it easier to grate.

then add the other ingredients to your bowl. mix really well and then pour into a container to store it in.

use 2 tbs. per load. i use the scoop that comes in the oxi container because its small and its a perfect 2 tbs.

if i'm doing a whites load, i add a tbs. or two of baking soda to the wash, too. it really gets those whites really white!

*note*

this laundry soap does not produce suds like your used to but don't worry it really does clean your clothes, towels, sheets, etc. really well. you can use this recipe in top loader and he machines.

*for fabric softener i use a 1/2 cup of white vinegar. add it to your washers softener dispenser or use a downy ball. doesn't smell so great but i promise you won't smell it on your clothes. it makes your clothes so soft!

for a nice scent, i have a washcloth that i add a couple of drops of essential oils to and throw it in my dryer with my wet clothes. it leaves a very faint scent which is great for me because anything stronger than that would give me a migraine.

updated by @heather: 01/13/15 09:11:46PM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

Awesome Heather, thanks, im going to go get the ingredients later n try it out!

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

your very welcome:) i'm currently working on making other household cleaners.

anouk fern said:

This is great Heather! i've been meaning to make my own detergent for a while now and am happy to find a tried and true recipe! Thank you.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

anouk fern said:

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

i was went to two laundry isles in two different stores and could only find a large baking soda box, there wasnt a washing soda next to the borax, i couldnt find any thing labeled washing soda. baking soda is not alright?

also it says its perfect for laundry, but looks like a scoop a load added to w/e your using.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i had a hard time finding it too until i went online and saw where other people were buying it. its usually by the stain removers and oxy products. none of the grocery stores in my area carry it but walmart and ace hardware. you can buy it online, too. baking soda isn't the same thing.

http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/laundry-boosters/Products/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-detergent-booster.aspx

Change~ said:

i was went to two laundry isles in two different stores and could only find a large baking soda box, there wasnt a washing soda next to the borax, i couldnt find any thing labeled washing soda. baking soda is not alright?

also it says its perfect for laundry, but looks like a scoop a load added to w/e your using.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

alright, i just HAD to do a load tonight, couldnt put it off much longer so i just made a tiny mix of everything. ill go to wallyworld n see if they have it there soon. thanks again :)

fyi i went to "whole foods market" and "target" n they had everything but the washing soda.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form