Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beginner Dreadheads & Their Baby Dreads

Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Prior to August 14th, I had braids in my hair for about a week, maybe a little bit more. When I took them out, my hair was nappy and I think was what helped jump-start my otherwise straight-for-the-most-part, soft hair towards natural dreads.

August 14th was when I took them out and since then I haven't brushed my hair at all. It's now August 26th, a mere 12 days later, and I checked my hair for knots, and I have 6 baby dreads already, mostly in the back of my head, scattered from my nape to my crown.

Last night, I asked Shiva - my god of understanding - to help my hair knot up, and I can't believe that a day later, I find 4 more baby dreads than I had the day before. Granted, they're thin and small, but they're still there!

For all of those that have just started your dreads, how are they doing?

Is there progress? No progress at all? Is your hair separating into defined sections?

What specific things have you been doing to maintain?

Pictures would be awesome! I love seeing people's progress. I'll post pictures when I get home from work :)

Peace

updated by @steven-wind: 02/14/15 10:14:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome how fast they dread isnt it?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

It really is, I had no idea that it was going to be this fast. The thing is, though, I think that other people don't see it in the same way that we, with dreads, see it. Where we see the littlest, yet significant, progress, people without dreads look at a small, baby dread and are thinking, 'Really? Because that just looks like knotted hair.' It's nice to not have to worry about the end result of something, because I know that it's going to work out.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea it amazes me how impatient ppl are that they cant wait whats really just a few days to see progress start

--
Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

Well, I think it's the whole drastic change in routine.

People are so used to taking care of their hair so much, making sure not even one hair is of place, brushing/combing it constantly throughout the day to get out and tangles or knots.

It's a lifestyle change, really. It's caring for your hair in a completely different manner than what used to be.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i think they are addicted tio the idea that you have to do something to gain something

when u try to explain how u can let it dread itself they cant wrap their mind ariound that concept

they cant ub[=nderstand how it can just happen

--
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

hey hey hey I was one of those people. sorta. haha. Sometimes it drives me crazy that I don't brush my hair, especially when it's looking flat and lacking body, unlike when I washed it squeaky clean and air-dried and brushed it. I don't have any pics yet bc I can't find a USB cord for my old ass camera :P But I am starting to see some separation, and I'm very excited about it. A lot of people won't say so but I think they can't believe that I untangled my backcombed dreads and didn't put wax in it after all to "hold them together" and "make them look nice and neat." I am one of the few people who actually knows what's going on with my hair when I/they see it, but I am enjoying the evolutionary process. :D

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Om namah Shivaya! Great to hear you're having such fast results. The skinny dreads will thicken. I thought my fine straight Caucasian hair would NEVER dread, but it started soon after tossing the comb. Like yours, mostly at the back, and getting thicker every day. Now the front bits are staring to knot. I'll post some new pics on my page soon.

You're both right, it's amazing the amount of time and effort people spend on their hair. If only they knew how easily hair can look after itself.

Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

It seems like natural's the way to go, guys!

I'll post pictures!

So, the first one is this big old knot like right in the center of my head. I'm not sure if I should separate it or..?

The second is obviously of the side of my head. It's sectioning pretty nicely, but it's got a little ways to go before it starts knotting up, I think.

The third one is the second knot I found.

The others are all smaller than this and they don't even really look like they're knotted, I can just feel the small tangles.

Sorry I couldn't post them right on here, my computer's being weird and won't upload them correctlyin this comment box.

Steven Wind
@steven-wind
13 years ago
62 posts

My hair as of today. The sections around the front of my head are starting to form nicely :P

updated by @steven-wind: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form